Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic never got enough attention in my opinion

Revelation

14 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

All forums, including this one, rely on anecdotal evidnece to support this or that argument.   So I know this or that particular  guitar works exceptioally well for this or that style music because it is what I own.   Then, of course, yo got 20 other folks telling you the guitar they own is the best choice.  Makes you  wonder how anybody was able to choose a guitar in the days before the internet and forums.  Oh yeah, they actually went out and played them.

For me, Gibsons  (and Harmonys) work  for how I appraoch  a guitar.  While I can only  speak to older Gibsons,  I love the fact they have a fast decay.  The notes leap off the strings but do not hang around long to wear out ther welcome.   To my ears they have a lot of dynamc range  but will reach a point when you start digging in and increasing the volume where a certain rawness or harshness (as best as I can describe it) sets in.    This works well for me but if I was playing say bluegrass an older slope shoulder Gibson would not be my first choice of guitars.   

I think we tend to over think and over analyze stuff.

To me it comes down to do I like that sound of the guitar or not.  If not I don't want to own it and if I do well then I do want to own it. And of course the other thing is can you afford the one you want.

Does it really matter if a guitar company got enough attention or not? Do you like the guitar you want to buy or not, who cares what brand it is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

All forums, including this one, rely on anecdotal evidnece to support this or that argument.   So I know this or that particular  guitar works exceptioally well for this or that style music because it is what I own.   Then, of course, yo got 20 other folks telling you the guitar they own is the best choice.  Makes you  wonder how anybody was able to choose a guitar in the days before the internet and forums.  Oh yeah, they actually went out and played them.

For me, Gibsons  (and Harmonys) work  for how I appraoch  a guitar.  While I can only  speak to older Gibsons,  I love the fact they have a fast decay.  The notes leap off the strings but do not hang around long to wear out ther welcome.   To my ears they have a lot of dynamc range  but will reach a point when you start digging in and increasing the volume where a certain rawness or harshness (as best as I can describe it) sets in.    This works well for me but if I was playing say bluegrass an older slope shoulder Gibson would not be my first choice of guitars.   

This is a vital, serious and important observation. And I have found precisely this factor to be more and more crucial the last 5 years. My playing typically includes fairly many notes released in fast in series which then get taken over by more casual strumming. Repeating this back'n'forth generates some kind of 'thick traffic' if the guitar offers  too much sustain, so even though my Martins are terrific acoustics, time has proven them to be less suited to my (humble) style.                                                                               

Been playing for between 4 and 5 decades, but never considered myself a guitarist.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         The later years had me working through that veil and the new consciousness-of decay  is seen as a sign of my now higher status/ improved abilities.                                                                         But that's life with music :  it's a voyage on so many levels, , , always hiding/revealing new epiphanic treasures around the next hill and corner. . 

Edited by E-minor7

A guitar manufacturer who I feel is woefully underrated is Mossman. I've played some astonishingly beautiful Mossman guitars. Just the very best of everything in terms of tone and response. A '76 Great Plains remains the only guitar that has ever reduced me to tears. No hyperbole there at all. 

At the end of the day, our preferences are all about personal impressions, a mixture of sonic compatibility and the emotional and musical connotations that we attach to instruments. It's like people, politics, preferences in a partner. We all have our leanings and our preferences etc. The things that touch us individually, for whatever reason, and make magic of the mundane. 

Sure, I could write songs and make records with any number of guitars. I've toured and recorded with a £200 secondhand Epiphone IB'64 Texan before, and loved it. That guitar touched me in s different way to my SJ200 or Dove, but it still touched me. Whatever works.