Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a new Les Paul Standard 50s - is this acceptable for QC?

lithdoc

Hey guys,

Just bought a new Les Paul Standard 50s with a AAA rated top. Love the guitar from far away, but I am not sure how to interpret the QC issues - is it something I should keep and accept or try to exchange for another one?  I spoke to the dealer and they offered either an exchange or a partial refund (not sure how much) - I'm just afraid that the exchanged one won't be much better.

There's unpolished varnish by the fretboard on the top, some leftover glue/filling compound underneath the varnish underneath the fretboard... Your thoughts?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/DLkpdzH

LP1.png

LP2.png

LP3.png

LP4.png

LP5.png

LP7.png

LP8.png

Edited by lithdoc

This wouldn't really bother me.  Look at what companies like Collings are selling Les Pauls for and you will get the idea of what it costs to make a relatively flawless guitar.  For a little over 2k the Standards are fairly inexpensive instruments and with the amount of handwork done on them there are always going to be cosmetic issues.   

I would keep it, as long as it plays well and sounds good.  

When I bought my ES 175 some years ago there were a couple of small similar issues.  Over time (and with a bit of careful polishing and TLC) the marks have almost disappeared and are unnoticeable.

Edited by jdgm

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a cosmetic issue for me, I'd exchange, as this is little too much for a guitar at this price point and with an AAA top. 

Even if some say "you can barely see it, or the sound matters", I knew it is there and it would bother me. If that was a $500 Epi and it played well, I'd keep it. But for a $2500 Gibson, I'd like to have the top to actually have a top-notch finish, would be a bit more lenient on the backside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunking101 said:

It's up to you whether you deem it unacceptable at that price point. The flaws in your photos are fairly standard for Gibson. My R7 which cost roughly double isn't perfect either.

Ditto man my R7 GT isn’t perfect cosmetically but it is a perfect guitar if you get what I’m saying 😉 

• Like 1

Maybe me zooming in on these pictures on my phone isn't giving me clarity to see what the problem is.

If it's just a bit of lacquer on the fretboard its probably pretty minimal. 

Lacquer will wear off the fretboard easy enough over time

Sure there's "worse" QC than this

Edited by Eracer_Team

On 2/3/2021 at 5:56 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your gonna get 10 guys to say send it back and 10 guy to say its okay.

You need to decide if only that Gibson is good enough.

Agreed. 
I'm one of the 'send it back' guys though. 

I wouldn't drop over $2,000 on a guitar and settle for flaws that would niggle/nag in my brain for the life of the guitar. 

But then again, I wouldn't drop over $2,000 on a guitar that I hadn't handled, fondled, and played with my own hands either. 
I like and trust Sweetwater a LOT, but I have learned that if I'm going to spend over $700 on anything, I want to hold it and inspect it personally first. 

I'm weird that way. 

😐

• 4 months later...

I can’t see anything but that’s because my brand new AAA topped 50’s is the same…if you get my drift! 
Translation, that doesn’t bother me in the least. It doesn’t effect the function in any way. The guitar is freaking awesome! It’s made by human hands. Humans are not perfect. I would not send it back for that.

• Thanks 1

I’m sure over the life the guitar there will be a few dings dents scratches nicks drops  stains fingerprints buckle rash if it’s actually played so I have never understood why these minor cosmetic things have ever bothered anyone. Makes them unique and doesn’t feel like your just getting an assembly line clone (even tho they mostly are)

I used to be a send it back guy. You have no idea how much easier my life became once I decided to just accept minor imperfections. (Actually, it didn't, but at least guitar imperfections stopped bothering me) 

My reasoning was, look at Slash's main live guitar. The neck has been broken in THREE places, yet I look at it and think, yum. 

It was time to cut back on worrying and spend that time on playing. 

As for the guitar in the pics, not even I would worry. Keep it. 

• Like 1

It’s all good. 

Now the static charge? That is another issue. Did you get that on your guitar, because I did. I would rather have another tiny blemish than “The Gibson Static”!

I don't think there is anything terrible there, especially considering how close up those photos are. BUT I will say, it is your money and your choice, if it will bother you then return it. I'm sure deep down you know what you really want to do. Also, I bet if we saw a picture of the whole guitar, most people here would think it's a beautiful guitar...and worth keeping.

• Like 1