Gibson Brands Forums

The end of the line?

SteveFord

That was a really good demo.

I'm working up a Pink Floyd type thing: Set The ToneSuck Control For The Heart Of The Sun.  

Already got the Zippo lighter for the slide work.

I'm just kidding, I really like the VariTone.

Edited by SteveFord

Yeah, all of his demos are pretty cool and he has played everytihng..

The switch is cool.. The differences between say pos 5 and 4 and then 4 and 3 etc are very subtle but going from 5-1 is night and day..  That will be lots of fun I am sure  [thumbup]

And that middle position I think it was in position 2 sounded out of phase..  

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I'm working up a Pink Floyd type thing: Set The ToneSuck Control For The Heart Of The Sun.  

I left my King on bypass all the time. I though it was going to be a cool thing, but I rarely if ever changed settings. The higher the numbers the more nasally it got.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/5/2021 at 11:33 AM, SteveFord said:

I liked the demo too, HB's with VariTone providing  notch filters , coil tapping and phasing possibly. I have 2 guitars with VariTones, a Blueshawk and my Tele that I intended to be a clone of my Blueshawk. Both using single coil P90's the VariTones provide notch filters. They work quite well, usually using 3 or 4 of the positions and can aid in reducing noise under certain driven conditions.

Edited by mihcmac

Well, that might take a bit of work to schlep them all into one heap, it's been a long lockdown .

You always see the stereo because that's where the good light is in this house, there's a picture window right there.  Albums sound really good, CDs are okay but not as good as the turntable.  From my experience it's just not worth spending the money on really expensive digital play back as the sound is just never quite there although it can come close.  There's just something that's always a little "off".

Bad news, seller hosed me and shipped me a Burmese Python after all.  Just what I need, another mouth to feed.

CNoHddp.jpg

• Haha 2

Frank Zappa wasn't much of a herpetologist, baby snakes are neither pink nor wet.

Unlike this oldie but goodie:

4rrbXL8.jpg

A friend of mine used to own a picture framing store in a mall and he had that one framed, he was telling me about some nuns who came into the store and how they were so horrified by it.

9 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Frank Zappa wasn't much of a herpetologist, baby snakes are neither pink nor wet.

Unlike this oldie but goodie:

4rrbXL8.jpg

A friend of mine used to own a picture framing store in a mall and he had that one framed, he was telling me about some nuns who came into the store and how they were so horrified by it.

Oh Nastassja. 

Lucky Snake.

They do in fact live in a tiny hole.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've got it set up and will take some pics tomorrow when the lighting is better.  Hopefully I can capture the wood grain on this one.

A fellow here a few years back bought a 345 and spent quite some time talking it up about how impressed he was with it which is what got me thinking about the model again.  

It's heavier than a 335, lighter than a Lucille, the whole thing really reminds me of a current 60s neck Les Paul Standard with slightly higher frets and a different body shape, of course.  The fret board isn't as nice on the new Les Pauls but this one may have spent quite some time drying out (it's a 2008 model).  The sound of it is really good and I always liked messing around with the VariTone.

The stop tailpiece is tarnished pretty badly but other than that, I can't find anything to complain about.  It just needs another truss rod adjustment or two and lot of playing time as this feels like a case queen.

As threatened, here she be:

CRBUPiG.jpg

IvcMaA7.jpg

3TJ40Eg.jpg

N8z15Un.jpg

jdfaPAN.jpg

After concentrating on solid bodies for quite some time this certainly feels different.  This is not my Firebird...

It really does slot right inbetween the 335 and the 355/Lucille.  

I can see why so many of the greats chose this model, they're worth hunting down if you're in the market for an ES model.

• Thanks 1

No but I always wanted one.

A buddy in college opened up a guitar case and my gleaming little, acid burn out eyeballs went BOING!  

How did they go?

BOING!

I had a wine red ES-335 with a trapeze tail piece at the time so I didn't feel cheated or anything, just a handsome guitar for those syncopating sodomites at Jazz School.

Edited by SteveFord

Nope, I'll just be stuck to seat 301 on the bus next to the gal from the GTOs, seen in 200 Motels, who went wee wee on Jeff Beck's head while she was wearing his boots.

I guess it could be worse, they'll be me a pizza.

Edited by SteveFord