Gibson Brands Forums

The end of the line?

SteveFord

41 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Nope, I'll just be stuck to seat 301 on the bus next to the gal from the GTOs, seen in 200 Motels, who went wee wee on Jeff Beck's head while she was wearing his boots.

I guess it could be worse, they'll be me a pizza.

I wonder if it burned cause she had the Gono-co-co-cacus.

The boys in crew had a present for her.

Thank you, I'm getting used to it.  You can tell this one wasn't played very much just by the feel of it.

The only downside to it is the weight, it's a lot heavier than my 335.  I know they vary, too, just like everything else. 

I guess the stereo wiring and VariTone are the culprits.

The current 345s don't have any of that but it just doesn't seem right without the gold plating and extra stuff.  Easier on the shoulder, though.  

On 2/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, SteveFord said:

As threatened, here she be:

CRBUPiG.jpg

IvcMaA7.jpg

3TJ40Eg.jpg

N8z15Un.jpg

jdfaPAN.jpg

After concentrating on solid bodies for quite some time this certainly feels different.  This is not my Firebird...

It really does slot right inbetween the 335 and the 355/Lucille.  

I can see why so many of the greats chose this model, they're worth hunting down if you're in the market for an ES model.

Hawt! 

Wow, really looks good.  I love the way the grain on the top sort of curves around the tone suck knob instead of running vertically or horizontally.  Any idea what pickups might be in it?  Remember (and this is direct from Gibson) the iconic tone is a result of:

The sound waves resonate within the hollow airspace of the Maple veneered Body, around the F-holes, and throughout the solid glue joints.

So THAT'S what generates that iconic tone, go figure!

Everything I can find says 57 Classics in it.  They really do sound good but it's probaby down to the solid glue joints more than anything else.

One weird thing about this guitar is that the high E and B saddles have TWO slots in them and they're plated which means they came from the factory that way.  I've never seen that before. 

Also, there's a brass washer under the Tone Suck Knob.  My Lucille doesn't have that, I guess it's the Tone Suck Enhancement Washer reserved just for this model.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 9:26 PM, SteveFord said:

Somebody in Lynyrd Skynrd had a 345?  I didn't know that.  The only people I ever saw with one was Freddie King and Elvin Bishop, I thought the guy from Be Bop Deluxe had a 335.

This forced indoor time really got me thinking about all of the guitars I drooled over as a kid and then put out of my mind as I grew up and put the guitars on the back burner.

I always wanted a 3 pick up SG Custom like that 60th Anniversary but in all honesty, I'd seldom play it and it would be a case queen.

I KNOW this 345 will see a lot of use.

John Nitzinger and Bugs Henderson both played 345s on the 'One Foot in History' album, and a lot of the blues players went from 335s to 345s before settling on 355s.