Gibson Brands Forums

NGDx2

Guitar God

Surprised I haven't posted these on here, yet, but I got a couple of new toys a month ago.  One is the new electric blue Epiphone Tommy Thayer signature Les Paul.  I fell in love with it when it was first released. Has two Duncan JB pickups. Though it is electric blue, the finish does react to the lighting. In certain angles it can look blue and certain angles it can look purple if that makes sense.  The 2nd is a cracked mirror Paul Stanley signature Silvertone. I've always wanted a cracked mirror Paul Stanley model, but his old Washburn and old and new Ibanez cracked mirror models are fetching a pretty penny, so I thought about finding one of his Silvertone models and found this one on Reverb.  I guess you can see I am a huge KISS fan. 
RwcNJBQ.jpg
XGXUJzF.jpg

Edited by Guitar God
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful guitars!

Big KISS fan. 
Saw them in Dothan, Alabama in December of 1975, and years later on the reunion tour in 1996, down in Pensacola, FL. 

We keep KISS songs in every set list, and play some KISS as often as we can. 
Strutter is the first song my high school garage band played at a school gig in 1976, and my band and I play it to this day, nearly every gig. 

(We had to teach it to our girl singer. She had never heard of it.)
🙂

5RC0KK8I-1553609730.jpg

Kiss was the Ramones  with make up and playing rock instead of punk. 4 guys who are terrible musicians. It had to be said. Gene is an awful bassist, Peter did way to many drugs and could barley play, Ace had to be tutored to  remember and play his parts when he came back for the Reunion and Paul is sub par at best as a guitarist. I loved there music as a kid. And all 4 are the ugliest dudes on Earth. If those guys work at Burger King, none of them get laid,  but they are in a band so chicks will suck their d-icks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Kiss was the Ramones  with make up and playing rock instead of punk. 4 guys who are terrible musicians. It had to be said. Gene is an awful bassist, Peter did way to many drugs and could barley play, Ace had to be tutored to  remember and play his parts when he came back for the Reunion and Paul is sub par at best as a guitarist. I loved there music as a kid. And all 4 are the ugliest dudes on Earth. If those guys work at Burger King, none of them get laid,  but they are in a band so chicks will suck their d-icks.

I must politely disagree on many of your points. 
And I'll concede to a few of them. 

Disagree:

* The Ramones analogy. 
Not an apt one, by any stretch. 

* Terrible musicians. 
Not at all true. 
Decent to above average, in their prime. 

* Gene, awful bassist. 
I don't know where you get that. 
He's pretty good. 

* Ace being tutored on his guitar parts in 1995/1996.
I have songs that I have written that I have to practice and study pretty hard when I haven't played them for a few months. 
Give the guy a break. 

Paul a sub-par guitar player. 
The evidence does not support your hypothesis. 
Your bias bleeds into your posting, I suspect. 

Agree:

* Peter did way too many drugs. 
Ace did as well. And alcohol too. 

I'm not sure what barley has to do with drumming, by the way. 
I cook it into my soups and stews upon occasion, and my dogs love it. 

But I can find no reports of George Peter John Criscuola employing it into his drumming routines. 

* Ugly dudes. 
At this point in history, they aren't particularly attractive. 
But they were fine looking young men, back in the 1970's.

😐

• Like 1

Interesting guitars - enjoy!

i must have been about 9 or 10 when they toured Australia for I think the unmasked album. The songs off Dynasty were on the radio and it was Kiss mania in Oz! One of my earliest memories of being aware of a major rock act and their songs, just after AC/DC I guess. They were surely the biggest act around in about 1980. I liked the Alive album a lot but wasn't into the other albums, a bit softer and less edgy than my tastes at the time but credit to them for taking the world.

8 hours ago, sparquelito said:

* Gene, awful bassist. 
I don't know where you get that. 
He's pretty good.

This always makes me laugh. The Down beat? Are you a musician Gene or a business man? No need to answer I know the answer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

If you compare them to .... oh say ..   Zappa, one of them had lots of radio hits and the other had a guy named Frank. 

Radio hits are a sure measure of ones talent. How many hits does Richard Thompson have? That guy could play 5 guys parts and get his nails manicured at the same time and still nail it in one take.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

45 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Nope not at all.  It does say they can relate to their audience though.  For every "Lady Gaga" there is some WAY more talented and proficient piano player out there playing in a lounge for peanuts.   One of the best guitar players I've ever seen live was some random guy playing in Penn Station.  

Yeah but would that guy in Penn Station put on suit made of meat?

I did appreciate in Lady Gaga's documentary when she took her bathing suit top off when she was sitting around the pool chatting with her cronies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Actually coincidentally the guy in Penn station was also wearing a meat suit.  It's all the rage here in NY.  I'm wearing one right now.     😄

Hence you were able to have dinner the other night and solved the pesky world hunger thing.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 6:30 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Could be the very first time I completely agree with you :-s

Nice guitars though!

Edited by Tman

On 2/9/2021 at 3:52 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

Cool guitars above congrats.  Kiss wasn't really my cup of tea but I think they were good players and the songs were obviously catchy.   They were better players than a lot of the "Glam" acts that came after them.   

If you compare them to .... oh say ..   Zappa, one of them had lots of radio hits and the other had a guy named Frank.  😂

Here's a cool bass line:

When I first saw pictures of Kiss, I decided they weren't serious so I paid them no attention. Reading the comments here, I realised my attitude was unfair (it was a long time ago when I was too serious!).  

Anyway, so I just listened to this. Its probably the 1st time I have ever listened to a Kiss tune all the way through. It was hard to do. I'm never doing it again. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tman said:

Could be the very first time I completely agree with you :-s

Nice guitars though!

Stuff like this does not happen often.

But like I said up until Dynasty I was a huge KISS fan, but then again I was 12 when that came out, and ended my KISS worship.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 1:19 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah but would that guy in Penn Station put on suit made of meat?

I did appreciate in Lady Gaga's documentary when she took her bathing suit top off when she was sitting around the pool chatting with her cronies.

I saw the Gaga/Metallica rehearsals on Youtube. She seemed pretty cool. Not a fan of her music though.

I cringed when Lars gushed in the media that she was now like a sixth band member, though. But he does that all the time. 

For that cringe, he really should get me some nachos, though. He can afford it, since he's credited with a whole catalog of songs he didn't write. 

51 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I saw the Gaga/Metallica rehearsals on Youtube. She seemed pretty cool. Not a fan of her music though.

I wasn't aware Lady Gaga made music, I know she has albums out with some sort of songs on them, but to call them music is a crime.

• Haha 1