Gibson Brands Forums

Case question

TommyK

So I broke down and bought a hard case for my guit tar. I really like the looks of tweed, so I bought this one:

>TWEED CASE<

It was everything I expected. However, the tweed is a fabric covering that I had expected to be somehow coated. It is not. Recently I've noticed there's a couple 'snags' in the material that have cropped up.

I am thinking of coating the surface with either spray lacquer or polyurethan varnish to encapsulate the fabric. This should help reduce the snags and, my snazzy new Northern Illinois Bluegrass Associan sticker will stick.

Any thoughts?

Cases are designed to take the blows that the guitar would without the case. Expect some wear and tear. My wife bought me a tweed case for my Tele as a Christmas gift. It alraedy has some blemishes but the Tele is safe. Can't beat the looks.

Wouldn't the laquer/polurethane eventually crack and flake off? Then you'd have an awful mess. What about Scotchguarding it?

Nice case' date=' btw![/quote']

That'd keep the coffee and cheesburger stains off'n it, but would do nothing to keep an errant shard of formica peeling from a table top from grabbing the fabric and tearing it.

I agree a case is suppsed to take the dings of life, laying it's life down for another, but I've only had this a few months and fear it will need replacing before it's a couple years old.

I've owned two tweed case: The first I left alone, and it too soon started to look cheesy; the second, I ScotchGuarded - and it stayed clean and nifty neat. That said, ScotchGuard will not protect against snags or tears, but it will definitely allow you to keep the case clean.

I bought a hard case for my Tacoma to go back to Illinois. My Gibson and Washburn were always in a hard case and the Hamer came in an excellent case .. really outstanding case. Long story short SW Airlines was careful with the Tacoma and although he case had some cars on it the guitar travelled well (wrapped the neck with T-shirts and padding all around the sides. I applaud SW --not the others (who actually said "don't bring a guitar on our plane") I put a guitar shop (El Rayo) over the worst ding on the case and it kind of brags about being tough. Also the hard cases protect the guitar from hard stops on the freeway where things are flying around in the car. (I hate that!) and they are protected from falling things, flying things )drum sticks, band junk, the stuff being thrown around while people set up. (OK you get every thing EXCEPT the guitar set up and plugged in THEN when everybody is sitting down and with THEIR instrument -- THEN you take the guitar out and tune up. .... p.s. .. is there anything more annoying that reeds doing their tune up? Nasty intolerable noise. It seems like they need 15 minutes to get their horn back to where it was last time).

I have a Strat/Tele case from the same company, in tweed... I don't have any issues with snags, but the brown leather trim is losing its colour in some spots - not that you have to deal with that problem.

If the neck block in yours styrofoam? I replaced mine with a piece of 2x4 cut to size, and it's much better. I saw someone with a bass in the case, and the weight from the neck had actually compressed the styrofoam so the neck was free to slide.

However' date=' the tweed is a fabric covering that I had expected to be somehow coated. It is not. Recently I've noticed there's a couple 'snags' in the material that have cropped up.[/quote']

Isn't that what they call 'mojo' twenty years on? +:-@

You could always get a case cover. Many think they're overkill' date=' but I really like them (especially for air travel).[/quote']

Case Cover: Now why didn't I think of that. :- Then.. How... do I keep it clean and snag free? Do they make a cover cover?:-k

Seriously, I realize now I'm being annual. So.. when the weather is right, I'll find some clear lacquer and do a neat spray job in the backyard... if it get's all wiereded up, I'll get the cover to cover up my stupidity.. or order up a new... black one. >sigh< [-(

Archived