Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j-45 Top Seam

ironbern

Hi All,

New to the forum and have a question on a new Gibson J-45 I purchased from a local retailer. After owning the guitar for a few weeks, I noticed a lightly color seam down the center of the guitar. The seam is smooth. I'm sure it was there went I bought it,  but now that I've noticed it, I can't stop seeing it and I just want to be sure it isn't problem. My research tells me this is a non-issue but thought I'd reach out to the board for a second opinion since it seems there are some very knowledgeable folks here. Thanks!

Picture attached.Gj45.jpg.3a3e00a0afb21ce9e9e02ed975982411.jpg

I don't see a problem either. The guitar looks great. As I'm sure you know, the two halves of the top are book matched, meaning they are cut from the same piece of wood and then laid open like a book. I'm sure the lighter color is just part of the natural variation of the wood. Also, both the wood and lacquer will darken with exposure to sunlight and just by the passing of time. I expect that this will even out the color differences very soon.

Lars

What RBP said.   If they'd cut it where there was a dark streak - you'd see a dark one.  Just cut it in a place in the grain where there was a little wider light grain, and laid the two side by side, in effect doubling the width of that spot when they matched them together.  Nice Git !  Congrats and Welcome ! 

I like how he did research before he posted and came to the conclusion it was okay, but he still needs reassurance from the rest of the team.

If your unhappy with it send it back if you can. You don't need other peoples thumbs up's to like it. All you are seeing on your guitar is where the wood got cut and glued together.  If there is no gap in the seem its a keeper. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

47 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I like how he did research before he posted and came to the conclusion it was okay, but he still needs reassurance from the rest of the team.

If your unhappy with it send it back if you can. You don't need other peoples thumbs up's to like it. All you are seeing on your guitar is where the wood got cut and glued together.  If there is no gap in the seem its a keeper. 

Sgt. Pepper,  I wasn't really  looking for anyone's approval from an appearances perspective.  Perhaps you missed my point but that's ok.  I was  however concerned of a possibility of workmanship flaw or  underlying issue that could worsen over time.  It was a sizable investment and getting a second opinion from a knowledgeable group seemed prudent. 👍

Regardless,  I appreciate the everyone's feedback and the education on how the top is manufactured. I learned something. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ironbern said:

Sgt. Pepper,  I wasn't really  looking for anyone's approval from an appearances perspective.  Perhaps you missed my point but that's ok.  I was  however concerned of a possibility of workmanship flaw or  underlying issue that could worsen over time.  It was a sizable investment and getting a second opinion from a knowledgeable group seemed prudent. 👍

Regardless,  I appreciate the everyone's feedback and the education on how the top is manufactured. I learned something. Thanks!

Then why reach out for anyones opinion? If you did the research and determined it was fine? Just post it as a NGD (New Guitar Day) for the newer folks here and let people oohh and aahhh over it. Its made of wood and hence not man made (the wood that is) and when wood has interesting color or striations in it that is what makes something unique.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Howdy, I. You can run a lighted inspection mirror underneath the top periodically to monitor any possible future separation. It's always good to own one of these to keep an eye on the guts and string seating.

Edited by jedzep

Ironbern -  if you have a 'gap' or any structural issue of any sort on the top seam of that brand-spanking-new Gibson - it would be the first one I'd ever heard of on this Forum.

We get lots of folks who come here, like you, to ask questions.  And they are usually welcomed with virtual open arms.   All sorts of things.  Usually fall into 2 categories - a new guitar or a used one.  It's obviously impossible to blame Gibson for a problem on a guitar that has changed hands and may have been kept in a shed out back for a decade. But usually 'blame' isn't the question - just 'is this something that should be//can be Fixed?'      New ones - I'd guess 90% of the issues are cosmetic.  Glue Drops inside is the current craze.  Use to be 'plastic bridge pins'.  Before that it was  'the pick guard covers up the rosette'.   The only currently recurring, on and off, complaint on new guitars that seems to be a problem is pick guards that raise or curl in a corner on the painted, engraved ones with birds and flowers.     

I'm very, very far from being an 'expert'.  But I can repeat - on this forum, I have never heard anyone find a Defect of any sort in the matchup of the 2 bookends on their new Gibson's face.  So, I would suggest you accept the fact that you do not have a problem.   And ignore some of the comments that suggest you should not have asked the question. 

For the distance you took the photo, it looks okay. 

I agree with Leonard McCoy - a higher resolution snapshot and one up-close on the seamline would help.  But if you aren't seeing separation, it should be fine.

With a bookmatch split, you get whatever is in the wood  block - in your guitar a little bit of a light colored strip was on the edge that became the middle.  Since it's a local shop, if you can't get past the appearance, ask for an exchange.  This wouldn't concern me - I'd be more focused on the playability and the sound/tone.

Y5BqP6F.jpg