Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, Fake??

Peter H

Hi

Been trying to sell a Les Paul Black beauty using various sites.  Quite a bit of interest, but it all goes quiet once I've given the buyer the serial number.

I've tried to Epiphone Checker Tool V2 tool and is says NOT RECOGNISED.  The number is 105060727.  When I remove the leading 1 and just enter 05060727 it returns a hit and says its an 05 Samick, Korean Model.

Does this make any sense.  I want to sell the guitar, but also don't want to sell a cheap fake

Any Help appreactaited

Hallo Peter, guten morgen. 

As you said, the serial number 105060727 will not make any sense on any of the guitar dating web sites. 

Is there a chance that the first character in the serial number, on the other hand, is not a '1', but rather an 'I'?
(Capital 'i')

If so, then I05060727 yields this result on the Guitar Dater Project website:

Your guitar was made at the
Saein Plant, Korea,
on June, 2005
Production Number: 727

I'm hoping that's the situation. 
One other thing;
If a guitar maker wants to counterfeit a black beauty Les Paul, he is more likely to fake it as a straight-up Gibson, rather than Epiphone. 
(Same with a fake strat.  He makes more money if he creates a fake Fender, rather than a Squier.)

Best of luck with the sale, good sir. 
I think you are okay to proceed here. 

🙂

• Like 1