Gibson Brands Forums

1985 LP Studio Specs

mab

Hello All,

I have an '85 Les Paul Studio that I bought 2nd hand about 15 years ago, but was too young at the time to appreciate what I have. Previous owner made some "upgrades" that I would like to change back to make it look more original. Does anyone know specs for the '85 model year such as colors, body material, pickup type, tune type, etc.?

44 minutes ago, mab said:

Hello All,

I have an '85 Les Paul Studio that I bought 2nd hand about 15 years ago, but was too young at the time to appreciate what I have. Previous owner made some "upgrades" that I would like to change back to make it look more original. Does anyone know specs for the '85 model year such as colors, body material, pickup type, tune type, etc.?

The body is mahogany and it probably has a maple cap. What colors they sprayed that year on those is anyone's guess. Do you think it has been refinished? The tuners may say Gibson Deluxe on them and are maybe made by Kluson. What pups came in those once again, no clue.

Someone with one from that year will probably chime in.

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The body is mahogany and it probably has a maple cap. What colors they sprayed that year on those is anyone's guess. Do you think it has been refinished? The tuners may say Gibson Deluxe on them and are maybe made by Kluson. What pups came in those once again, no clue.

Someone with one from that year will probably chime in.

I do not think that it has been refinished (?). It definitely has some nice dings in it, but it is an odd shade of green/olive drab almost. Have seen some people saying maybe shawbuckers, but I have not taken them out to look at them yet (was planning on giving it a really good clean soon). Right now the the pickguard and truss rod cover are mirrored and I would really like to change them back to the original black. Tuners are aftermarket locking sperzels.

Also saw a post on wikipedia that said some of the early studios were alder instead of mahogany, so hence my question about that.

4 minutes ago, mab said:

I do not think that it has been refinished (?). It definitely has some nice dings in it, but it is an odd shade of green/olive drab almost. Have seen some people saying maybe shawbuckers, but I have not taken them out to look at them yet (was planning on giving it a really good clean soon). Right now the the pickguard and truss rod cover are mirrored and I would really like to change them back to the original black. Tuners are aftermarket locking sperzels.

Also saw a post on wikipedia that said some of the early studios were alder instead of mahogany, so hence my question about that.

Take the pups out to see if it is Mahogany. You should be able to tell if the cap is maple cause you should see where the 2 pieces are glued together.

Post photos so we can see it.

Ok, so I finally got around to getting it cleaned. I am posting pics of bridge pickup slot, pic of strap button hole with weird blue thing, and side of fretboard (next post).

There are definitely two wood types, so maple top/mahogany body. You can see the maple in the chip on the left side of the image and mahogany below it.

Not sure about the weird blue thing inside the strap button. Never noticed it, ideas? And, the side of the fretboard looks like it may have been dyed or stained in the past??

I have some more research to do on the strap buttons since I have never really looked at them and they are different.

20210215_122156-1.jpg

20210215_125923-1.jpg

20210215_130051-1.jpg

Not the best neck pickup shot, but it is stamped like other people have seen with Pat 2737842 and then has some hard to read black text over it. I have not found anything definitive on these yet as the shawbuckers apparently have 12 poles, but these only the 6. Bridge is the same except for black text numbers. Looks like neck: 072487, bridge: 873295. I have not seen that anywhere else yet.

20210215_125902_1.jpg

Edited by mab