Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Speakers- 1966/67

DanielH

I believe that they were called HC-12 cabinets. They were a larger cabinet for the GSS-100 amp. I have only seen one before. Here is a shot of my amp with the more common, smaller 2-10 speakers. Over 40 years ago, I had an empty set of these smaller cabinets that had one 12” speaker mounted at a 45 degree angle with a smaller horn or speaker also. They must have had several less common versions. These, along with the GSS-50 combo amp were Gibson’s 2nd attempt at marketing a solid state amp in the middle to late sixties. They had one combo amp in the Crestliner Series.

rbhYwcWl.jpg

Edited by Grog

• 8 months later...

Grog's correct, they are the larger speaker option for the GSS-100 head unit.  Very Rare! Each cabinet contains two 12" woofers and a horn tweeter. I bought mine in 1967, played my Farfisa Compact Duo  through it and loved it. It was the only amp I could find that gave me the oomph to compete with the guitars on stage.  I think it was the horns that did it.  My horns were labeled "Jensen Hypex".  (I'm not sure if Jensen also made the 12" speakers).  When home I used the speaker cabinets as  stereo speakers for my Harman Kardon A50-K amplifier.  Good find!

• 5 months later...

This 1967 Gibson Factory tour film was just discovered recently. Towards the end, it shows the production line that the GSS amps were made. It shows both the larger speakers and the more common type. It also shows final inspection testing out an EB-2 Bass with what looks like a GA-5 Skylark amp.