Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Tonemaster

dc3c46

I pinged RCT a few days ago as I knew he had one, and based on his reply (not surprised  it was a good review), trotted down to try one out.  dam!

The one at the store was on hold, so I ordered  a blonde one. 

If the winds are right, it'll be here today.  

I have a mustang III V1,  to my ears THESE are superior, yea the mustang does A LOT, but when you don't need a lot, you got this. 

Edited by kidblast

I own the original, black covered one. I like it a lot for all of the above stated reasons, but I am now a little disappointed that Fender has made so many changes. I understand that I can get an update to the software, and I assume that means taking it in to a certified dealership, the closest being an hour away. I may just leave it as is.

Excellent! Thanks, gof. I'll look into that.

Edit:  Got the link provided and checked it out... seems easy enough. After spending a lot of time tonite with my black covered DR listening to the areas of interest with new firmware, I think I'm gonna keep it right where it is. Sounds great to me. Maybe some other time.

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

Have you found the output power selector is useful?   

I was checking some pickups today so I did fool with the attenuation.  It's ok, I can see using it for recording that just broken Fender clean sound without alienating anyone.  Other than that, not of any use for me.

rct

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rct said:

I was checking some pickups today so I did fool with the attenuation.  It's ok, I can see using it for recording that just broken Fender clean sound without alienating anyone.  Other than that, not of any use for me.

rct

the 7 watt setting on the attenuator with the volume on just about 5 thickens it up a bit,  you can hear it when you hit that threshold when start to push a tube amp and that natural compression occurs. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hendrix and Rory Gallagher did need no software.

Software when these guys roamed the earth was slippers and pajamas.   so...   From what I've read the firmware updates have been quite useful for these amps. (Black Version)   Tames the reverb and changes some of the top end characteristics that seem to come into play when using OD pedals.   The amps really do sound insanely good.  But if that improves it, why not? 

Edited by kidblast

You need to buy a 100 Watt to be equivalent to a 30 Watt Tube Amp. 50 Watt for 25 Watt Tube Amp & 25 Watt for 12 Watt Tube Amp. I like the lower price & lighter weight.. They’re good looking but I still think they sound shrill. I’ll stay with my Tube Amps.. 

Edited by Larsongs

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

You need to buy a 100 Watt to be equivalent to a 30 Watt Tube Amp. 50 Watt for 25 Watt Tube Amp & 25 Watt for 12 Watt Tube Amp. I like the lower price & lighter weight.. They’re good looking but I still think they sound shrill. I’ll stay with my Tube Amps.. 

I know, I have a buncha tube amps and a few solid state amps prior to acquiring the Deluxe Reverb. 

Solid states are great till you push them, but there's none of that going on with the Fender Tone Master Deluxe.  I'm amazed and delighted with how this amp sounds.  seems a game changer to my ears.  

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

...Solid states are great till you push them...

Exactly.  The volume knob becomes your worst enemy most of the time with this kind of amp.  That was my main criteria, get it home, wind it out in my environment, have a rehearsal with the drummer and wind it out over there, make sure it could hack actual playing volume and not just sitting one foot from it volume.  It does, very well it does.  HooRay!  Quiet volume out of something lightweight.  It's like new sliced bread or something.

rct

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I know, I have a buncha tube amps and a few solid state amps prior to acquiring the Deluxe Reverb. 

Solid states are great till you push them, but there's none of that going on with the Fender Tone Master Deluxe.  I'm amazed and delighted with how this amp sounds.  seems a game changer to my ears.  

I agree these are vastly improved over previous Gen Digital SS Amps or whatever one calls them... I would be curious how they would sound if you ran a Tube Pre Amp Pedal in line between the Amp & the Guitar?

16 minutes ago, rct said:

Exactly.  The volume knob becomes your worst enemy most of the time with this kind of amp.  That was my main criteria, get it home, wind it out in my environment, have a rehearsal with the drummer and wind it out over there, make sure it could hack actual playing volume and not just sitting one foot from it volume.  It does, very well it does.  HooRay!  Quiet volume out of something lightweight.  It's like new sliced bread or something.

rct

I know, it's kind of a whole new thing with these.

14 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I agree these are vastly improved over previous Gen Digital SS Amps or whatever one calls them... I would be curious how they would sound if you ran a Tube Pre Amp Pedal in line between the Amp & the Guitar?

I haven't tried those yet, I've got a OCD here at the house, that's all I've tried so far.  I have a few tho, where we rehearse, I'll see if I can grab one and try it.

Edited by kidblast

OK,  I bit. I did the upgrade to my black covered TMDR, and being unsuccessful on my first try (my life's story), I called Fender, and we determined the cable I used to transmit data to the amp was a power cord and not a data transfer cord. Once I made the change, the upgrade was fast and simple. I made the upgrade because I often use the onboard reverb and tremolo, and based on the three or four youtube demos I heard, it sounded like a pretty good idea. How does it sound? I don't know if it's better, but it might be a little different. I'll spend more time with it. I couldn't tell that it is any worse.

Edit: I also discovered that it was not necessary to unzip the file when using a Mac.

Edited by zigzag

6 hours ago, rct said:

Alright well, I do use the amp reverb so I guess I'm next.  Maybe this weekend.  eh.  Maybe next weekend.

rct

Yeah, I don't think you need to be in any hurry. The MXR equalizer you use with yours may iron out any issues you might have with the original firmware, but it will take some tweaking.