Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Tonemaster

dc3c46

28 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

Basically,  the Tonemaster is a modeling amp that models one amp,  the Twin,   only a lot lighter and witbout fragile tubes ( valves) , What isn't there to love about that!  If I could justify it I would get one !

It just doesn’t nail the Tube sound.. It’s better than most but it ain’t there yet for me.... It still has the shrill SS sound to my ears... Not the sweet warm  Tube Sound... If you play soft it’s probably fine.. But, why would you want a Twin if you’re gonna play soft? A Tube DRRI or Princeton would be better IMO. 

I just see them going the way of previous modeling Amps & guys will go back to Tube Amps....

Edited by Larsongs

6 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Basically,  the Tonemaster is a modeling amp that models one amp,  the Twin,   only a lot lighter and witbout fragile tubes ( valves) , What isn't there to love about that!  If I could justify it I would get one !

Well not  just the Twin, some of us have the Deluxe Reverb version.  I've had mine for about a week now.  I think I've played my electrics more in this week than I have in months (I spend a lot of time with an acoustic in my hands)  this is a  very musical amp, responsive and fat sounding.  I love the darned thing.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

It just doesn’t nail the Tube sound.. It’s better than most but it ain’t there yet for me.... It still has the shrill SS sound to my ears... Not the sweet warm  Tube Sound... If you play soft it’s probably fine.. But, why would you want a Twin if you’re gonna play soft? A Tube DRRI or Princeton would be better IMO. 

I just see them going the way of previous modeling Amps & guys will go back to Tube Amps....

My days of roaring hot tubes and everything that goes with them are long behind me and a very long and good memory.  As are the conditions needed to play out with all of that.  My gigging life has changed a whole lot in 15 years, and has nothing to do with Covid.  I won't be going back to tube amps, especially a Twin, unless I've hired someone to at least carry it for me.  

rct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, rct said:

I won't be going back to tube amps, especially a Twin, unless I've hired someone to at least carry it for me.  

rct

you won't know true pain till you try to lug this sob up a flight or two..  it sounds fantastic, but moving it?  uhmm, no...

20776369_10207849224628054_5944537509227

Edited by kidblast

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

That's why we have chocolate and vanilla ice cream,  I  lugged enough crap around in my 20s to last me a lifetime., and there are more than enough  pedals to change the tone of any amp to satisfy your tube addiction.  

OTOH I still regret selling my 62 Bassman head.

13 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The right tool for the job:

Recording - vintage Super Reverb for sound quality, modeling amp for no mic hiss

"Low end gig" - modeling amp

"High end gig" - vintage Super Reverb

Playing at home for fun - both amps

I used to do that but when you push those SS Digital modeling Amps with some dirt they get so shrill & harsh sounding compared to Tube Amps it hurts my ears.. I have small, medium & large Fender & Vox Tube Amps.. And a few others. They work well for most any Recording or Gigging situation & they sound great soft, medium & loud.... Low end Gigs & Jams I use small Amps & mic them if necessary...

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I used to do that but when you push those SS Digital modeling Amps with some dirt they get so shrill & harsh sounding compared to Tube Amps it hurts my ears.. I have small, medium & large Fender & Vox Tube Amps.. And a few others. They work well for most any Recording or Gigging situation & they sound great soft, medium & loud.... Low end Gigs & Jams I use small Amps & mic them if necessary...

For home use, it's a compromise I'm ok with, and they've gotten better.  I've gigged with guys that used Peavy Bandits, SS has come a long way to addressing that.

If I (or  any one else)  was gigging...  I would be hauling a tube amp  and a good size pedaltrain pedal board.  but I'm not, so they stay where they are.   

The modelers work great for noodles w/jam tracks, grabbing ideas on pro tools, and practicing.   

My new tone master sits right aside that goldtone amp.  using both, side by side in my studio, you honestly will never hear the degradation of the tone master verses the goldtone.  They both sound excellent.   The tone master deluxe r. works for me...

10 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Also, a lot of that "shrill & harsh sounding" problem stems from (a) opinions about older products which have vastly improved in further releases over the last decade or so and (b) person who doesn't know how to program digital gear to have a classic sound.   A lot of people dial in way too much treble and that's where the "shrill" thing happens. 

This is true..  The devil is in the details with modelers.  you have to know you're way around the interfaces and how to access the deep editing.  

Fuse for the old fenders got you places you could not get to on the amps edit functions.

Same goes for the Marshall code amps with the exception that you can, but the interface on the amp is a little clunky.  The Gateway App (android and iPhone) allows a much easier way to access deep edits.

Comparing the Mustang I have to the Code,  the mustang does sound better, but the Code gets some decent sounds too.  Gig wise, the Mustang III is a bit more road worthy, the100 watts and upgraded factory speaker hold up better with in a live setting than the 50 watt Code I have.

Don’t you need some type of Pedal board to engage the TM Amps FX while playing? My Pedalboard is like a small Briefcase.. No hassle... I also prefer the Sound of certain FX Pedals over other Pedals. Not all are equal. Also, many modeling Amps FX don’t sound as good as quality Pedals.. Degrading the Sound even more.. To my ears...

My reference to the shrill harsh sound when pushing the SS Digital Amps with dirt includes the Tone Masters... They’re better but I still can’t listen to them for more than a minute... 

I guess I’m just too used to the warm sound of Tube Amps...

I think the real test of any amp is not what it sounds like when you are sitting in front of it tweaking the sound, but how it blends or isolates what you are doing with the rest of the band. Sometimes the guitarists ultimate sound is not what works best with what the rest of the group is producing.

BB had lots of years to perfect his sound. I saw him many years ago in a "theater in the round" on rotating stage and when came around to my side, I was about 10 ft away from him. Anyway with a three or four piece blues group, I don't think he would have any trouble reserving his tone corridor. If someone stepped on it, I'm sure he would have dealt with it..

Edited by mihcmac

1 minute ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I don't suppose it was at Westbury Music Fare in Long Island?  If so, I was at that show - front row.   Bobby Blue Bland had to cancel so B.B. did a special extended set.  One of my favorites shows I ever went to.  

It was in Phoenix with Freddie King as his byline.. I really enjoyed it, because BB played to the audience and as he came to my group of white boys drooling over his playing, he smiled while making eye contact with each one of us, knowingly sharing his technique.

56 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

B.B. King played SS amps and I never once thought his sound was anything other than spot on for his style.   

Lab%20Serie%20Amp.jpg

Same goes for those first three amazing Kings X records.  Ty Tabor's crushing, enormous sound came out of Lab 5s.

rct

7 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Unfortunately, with that rig you are still stuck dragging around a pedal board or going with minimal or no effects.  The digital amps have all that built in.  

Unfortunately, at gig volumes, the effects they use in those all-in-one digital amps are just All Noise, No Signal.  I've tried, believe me.  Nothing past 10 o'clock on the volume, all noise after that.

rct

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I've played in musical theater productions with my Mustang amp.  Talk about needing noise free patches.   Worked out fine for me.  🤷‍♂️

Good deal.  I haven't had great experiences live at all.  Rehearse was fine though.

rct

I recently traded my Reverb Deluxe  in a package deal and needed to replace it with something. I went shopping and decided on the Twin Reverb Tone Master. I liked the sound, the weight and the 5-way power attenuator . Makes it nice for home use being able to turn the power down and still adjust the controls to get the sound you want.

I tried a TM Deluxe Reverb back when they first came out, in a music store  sitting next to a Blues Jr that I was also checking out. I was really impressed by the light weight and plugged straight into it with no effects, I was able to get good clean Fender tones. The Blues Jr was warmer but really heavy. I was able to play them for only about an hour finding the sound was quite acceptable from both. I went away thinking about them, then COVID hit and the store closed.