Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from Melbourne Australia

clarky75

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, I recently purchased my first Gibson, a Gibson SG Standard, I have always played Fender Strats, but my favourite guitar player is Angus Young, so I have always had a desire for an SG, I was put off as many said that the SG was not versatile and it was prone to neck dive.  I don't know why I waited so long, I love the guitar, neck dive no issue with a strap, and the guitar is very versatile, I sold my Fender Telecaster and my Strat now never gets used, so I will probably sell that and just keep the SG.

Not sure why the SG is so under rated, glad I finally pulled the trigger to get one of these guitars

Stay safe all

Cheers,

Craig

Welcome aboard Craig from another Craig.  Glad to hear you are so happy with your SG Standard.  I bought my first SG (with humbuckers) in 2004 and my second (with P-90s) in 2007.  I still own both and can’t see myself ever selling either of them.  Between the two, I can get pretty much any sound I’m looking for.   I heard all complaints about neck dive, but I just made sure that the strap I use with them has suede or a similar material on the underside and neck dive has never been an issue.

Enjoy your stay.

Edited by tx-ogre

Would you believe that I made up my mind to sell 3 guitars and decided The Acoustic Centre in South Melbourne would be a good place to put them on consignment. They all arrived safely at the store on the very day before Victoria went into lockdown again. Hope things get back back to normal again soon.

Welcome, Craig. 

The Gibson SG is a fabulous guitar. 
I love the thin plank body, the output jack on the face of the guitar, and the light weight of an SG. 
The tones of course are legendary. 

Coincidence, my daughter works in Melbourne, (Florida, ha ha) and lives with her hubby and daughter on the Indialantic barrier island. 

I'm shopping for my next SG. 
I had a perfect P-90 equipped one, but was ultimately not satisfied with the tones I got out of it. 

I fancy a Gibson SG Fusion (single Tone and Volume knobs, my favorite), but the local used guitar scene is a tad proud of them. 
I don't want to pay more than the thing cost brand new back in 2017. 

🤨