Gibson Brands Forums

Love and Mercy (Me singing and playing my 1965 LG1)

QuestionMark

With all the talk about Gibson LG1s, here a video I just made of me singing Brian Wilson's "Love and Mercy" accompanied by my 1965 LG1.    Any and all comments are welcome and encouraged.  I am primarily a guitar instrumentalist, but this song's lyrics warranted that I sing it and accompany myself on guitar.   It a very moving song that is applicable to our times.  Hope you enjoy!  

QM aka:  "Jazzman" Jeff

Lovely version, QM! 

I had the immense pleasure of hanging out with Brian a couple of times back in 2003/4. He's one of the nicest guys in rock'n'roll. His manager at the time, Jean Sievers, introduced us and told Brian I was the songwriter with a band that were in the charts that week, and he jumped and shook my hand, said with total sincerity "Man, that's so cool! How cool is that? Wow. Can I grab a photo of us together?"

After getting over the initial shock of being asked for a Kodak moment by the man who wrote God Only Knows and a whole constellation of other classics, we spent ages chatting and drinking tea, and he was really funny and animated, not at all the deer-in-the-headlights that he seems to be in interview. Really kind and interested in others...he knew exactly what to say to make me, as a young up-and-comer at the time, feel really special and an equal somehow, despite him being arguably the greatest living composer of our times. 

I met up with him again a year later when he was on the road doing Smile, and he remembered me instantly, asked me how everything was going and whether I had any new music out...I was working on my first solo record at the time, and promised I'd email some rough mixes to him via Jean, which I did, and he was very kind about. 

I will never forget those times. Very precious memories.

• Like 1

Wonderful rendition, Jeff. 

Funny coincidence, with the cold weather and my local indoor pool out of commission, I've been working out on my in-home rowing machine. 
I'll always put on some old CD or album, and row away for a half hour or more. 

Just the other day, I rowed to Brian Wilson's solo album Brian Wilson, and Love And Mercy is the opening track. 
Rowing along, half out of breath, and trying to sing those high background harmonies, let me tell you, it's some good stuff. 

Great timing, sir. 

🙂

Jinder and Sparquelito-

I am really glad my version of Brian Wilson’s Love and Mercy connected to you.  Jinder, you are very lucky to have had conversations with Brian Wilson.  Thanks for sharing that experience in response to the song I posted.  And, Sparquelito...thanks for sharing the synchronicity that you recently listened  to Brian Wilson doing his song.  Brian Wilson is a great great great musician/composer and he has been a great influence on my music, by the way he creates a whole musical virtual world in his songs and arrangements.   I saw him in concert a few months before the pandemic and being in his musical genius presence was awesome.  I also had the awestruck opportunity to be sitting next to him once while at Disneyland a few years back while my wife and daughter went on a California Adventure roller coaster (and I didn’t) and he also took a pass on going on it with the people he was with.  I wanted to talk with him as I sat next to him and he kept looking at me, knowing I wanted to talk with him...but, for the only time in my life, no words would come out of me.  I was totally awestruck by him, yet I was thinking of all the great musical things I could talk with him about.  But, no words came from me.   When the ride my wife and daughter were on and his party was on, we both just got up and looked at one another and went to our parties we were with. Jinder, my reading your account of  you talking with him, enabled me to vicariously live through your experience as I read it.  Way cool.

QM aka “Jazznan” Jeff

• Like 1

Really lovely, heartfelt rendition!  Thank you, and thank you for playing the LG-1 - my introduction to Gibson acoustics was my best friend's early '50s LG-1 that his mother had bought while a student at Mercer University.  Whenever I hear one, I flash back to Macon in the late 70s - thank you for that, too!