Gibson Brands Forums

Value of '63 Gibson Southern Jumbo

Robbie1299

I would like to sell my '63 Gibson Southern Jumbo, and I'm trying to figure out how much it's worth. Also, I want to polish it before putting it up on Reverb. The finish is checked, and the fretboard and frets are dull. I'm afraid that putting a polish on the fretboard or the finish, or polishing the frets will somehow damage or "un-vintage" it.

Any suggestions? The photos are in the link below.

https://imgur.com/a/Zh3afst

Edited by Robbie1299

35 minutes ago, Robbie1299 said:

I would like to sell my '63 Gibson Southern Jumbo, and I'm trying to figure out how much it's worth. Also, I want to polish it before putting it up on Reverb. The finish is checked, and the fretboard and frets are dull. I'm afraid that putting a polish on the fretboard or the finish, or polishing the frets will somehow damage or "un-vintage" it.

Any suggestions? The photos are in the link below.

https://imgur.com/a/Zh3afst

Use Virtuoso to polish the guitar. It was specifically make for instruments like Strats, not the Fender ones the violins. I would not recommend polishing the fretboard but using lemon oil. You can clean the frets with 0000 steel wool and there are guards you can by to protect the fretboard. As to what it is worth the acoustic section would have a better idea.

Personally I think too many people overdo it on "oiling" the fretboard. In most cases it's really not necessary. If you insist on doing it just use the smallest amount of mineral oil to do it, and if you think you're using a small amount, then use 1/4 of that. The fretboard doesn't need to be saturated and dunked up with oil. It gets enough if that from the oils in your fingers from actually playing the guitar.

Also prefer using a fret guard and some sort of metal polish on an old t-shirt (something like Brasso or Mother's mag wheel polish) for the frets. Or you could mask it off with painters tape instead of using the fret guard. Steel wool is super messy and unnecessary. 

personally I'd just wipe the guitar down with a damp cloth, or use naphtha/white gas. 

More importantly, take the time to actually take some aesthetically pleasing pictures of the guitar. That's what's going to sell it. Cannot tell you how many deals I've scored where the seller posted an awful pic that was out of focus or had awful lighting with their bare feet or unmade bed in the background. Sounds cheesy, but I promise you high quality photos will sell the guitar.  You can use your camera phone and a tripod and get some pretty impressive shots. 

Btw, looking at your photos, that fretboard doesn't need any oil, but I'd have someone look at it since it looks like there's something going on with the neck joint at the heel. 

Edited by sbpark
  • Like 1