Gibson Brands Forums

1993 Les Paul with HSH Pickup, 5 Way Switch & Two Way Switch

My grandfather owned a pawnshop on Lower Broad Way in Nashville between 1986 and 1994 (Rose Loan Company, 419 Broad, Next door to Ernest Tubb). I have lots of fun stories about Lower Broad back then, but that is a topic for a different time.   During that time, he and my aunt purchased me a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul from Gruhn Guitars.   I know very little about it other than we were told it was a prototype  I have been unable to find anything about it or any other similar guitars  

Any info would be helpful.  I feel it is unique  

Guitar Info:

Bought 1994-1995 from Gruhn Guitars

SN: 91213357

Headstock: “Les Paul Model”, no marks on Truss rod cover

Tuners: Gold Plate with black “Gibson”; Stamped “Made in U.S.A.” 

Pickup: Humbucker-Single-Humbucker

Knobs: Top Hat style, 1 Volume, 1 Tone

Switches: 5 Way; 2-way (1-1 position turns off pickups)

Color: Cherry Sunburst (Very bright)

Fretboard: Rosewood (assumed), block MOP inlay

Other info: Carved Top (not flat like a LP Jr.), Gold plated accessories, no pick guard,one access on back (missing the round).  Measures standard LP size, but feels lighter

7E8F8471-5C10-4220-9C57-2DF5643125A9.jpeg

55626B69-24B8-4EC1-855B-DADA47A443AF.jpeg

D888109A-12E8-4A5F-BD83-CC8CA3E541A6.jpeg

22434B73-D54A-4FEA-85AA-9DBAD45CFAA5.jpeg

F7824BD6-597B-4D8F-9081-E05D73A66C31.jpeg

Very unusual, so much so that I doubt if anyone on the forum will be able to shed any more light on it.

Looks like a variation on the LP Studio - interesting switch arrangement,  and the gold hardware and tuners make it special.

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

Very unusual, so much so that I doubt if anyone on the forum will be able to shed any more light on it.

Looks like a variation on the LP Studio - interesting switch arrangement,  and the gold hardware and tuners make it special.

I’m hoping someone from Gibson Factory in Memphis or Nashville may know.  Since it ended up at Gruhn so that would make sense that it came from there.  

I agree the switch arrangement is interesting but so is the pickup arrangement - it would need the 5 way.   

Do you know any other resources that could help?  

My only thought was to email Gruhn's with the pics and any details of when it was bought from there  - and someone there may remember something.

I've tried searching by image but all I got was lots of ordinary LP pictures - the search engine doesn't distinguish between 2 pickups and 3.

There is a thread somewhere on this forum which tells you how to contact Gibson.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Gibson emailed me the specs 

found in this forum but also found other info:

Les Paul Studio Lite with MIII electronics  Has a balsawood insert to reduce weight and a switch  to go from traditional LP setup on a 5 way with HBs (Off, Neck tone off, Neck, Both, Bridge)   Flip the two way and it goes into single coil mode (neck, neck/middle, middle, bridge/middle, bridge)

apparently it was to compete with a Strat on the single coils but also give the LP sound when humbucking   needless to say it didn’t take