Gibson Brands Forums

Lifton case switch tip issue

sunking101

I've had my R7 a whole 3 days and already the pickup switch has left a hole in the inside of the case lid. The guitar shipped with the switch tip removed and a round padded piece of felt pushed onto the screw threads. Are you supposed to remove the switch tip every time you put the guitar back in the case??

The lid shuts perfectly, I guess that the material in the lid isn't strong enough to take the impression of the switch?

When I bought my R9, it arrived with the switch tip exploded.  No issue getting a replacement though - I actually got 2 from Gibson directly (of course no charge).  So yeah, you have to be careful transporting your LP in the case as these switches are prone to "exploding" if it takes a bang.  Luckily, the guitar was not messed up...  So the moral of the story is that if you use this case to transport your guitar, take the switch cap off if you don't want any issues.  Maybe save that foam piece too as it can't hurt.  I even save those extra foam inserts that cushion the headstock.  As for the impression, well I explained what happened to my R9, so that's not surprising you have an indent in the case where the switch touches the top of the case lid.  The worst that could happen it seems is you'll lose a switch tip if again the case takes a bang. 

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing, but as Nighthawk Chris' response shows it's not uncommon.  There are a lot of forum members here with R6, 7, 8, and 9s and this is the first time anyone every brought this up that I can recall.  Just wondering if the switch tip protrudes further on these re-issues than a Standard LP, or if the cases are a little shallower for some reason.  Seems a real shame to spend that much on a Custom Shop guitar and yet it appears the case fits so poorly it can cause damage when the purpose of the case is to protect the guitar?

I have never owned an "R" Les Paul, but have owned 5 or 6 other models and this was never an issue.  I opened up the case on my 2017 Standard that I have now, and there are indentations in the lid from the strings, bridge, stop bar, knobs, and switch tip but nothing that looks dangerous in terms of damaging the guitar or putting a hole in the case.  Are the cases with these re-issues replicas of cases from that era and thus different than a modern case?  I see they are Lifton with five latches, but if it doesn't protect the guitar it seems a waste of time.