Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200 heel crack?

Elias G

Hi!

I'm new in the forum and I have a question regarding one f my guitars.  I've got a Epiphone EJ-200 for a couple of years now, I like a lot the guitar. Recently I noticed there is some kind of crack in the heel of the neck (only in the side of the cutaway, about 4 centimeters). I'd like to know if any of you has encountered this issue. Do you have some advice about this? It might also be that this is not really serious, but I wouldn't like to wait until the guitar is in real bad shape. Here you'll find some photos:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlgWrnQcR_xgrvk9W2GdsH1vgQzObw?e=FzlSWB

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Elias G.

Your guitar neck is constructed with what is called a "stacked heel"--the heel is made of several pieces. It looks to me like the piece closest to the back of the body may not have been planed as to fit to the body just so, or perhaps the channel for the binding (the groove the white plastic stripe fits in) was imperfect, or the groove was ok but the width of the binding itself is not consistent there. Any of those things could account for that slight gap (given that it didn't just suddenly appear). It's also possible that that piece of the stacked heel shrunk slightly, resulting in some separation there.

In any case, the neck is attached to the body with a v shaped dovetail joint. If that joint is good, it's relatively unimportant a bit of the perimeter of the neck has a slight gap. If the action of the guitar has changed and can't be remedied with a normal set up, and that gap is indeed a new phenomenon, then maybe a neck reset would be in order. In that case, get it checked out by a good local luthier who can evaluate it. If not, then it's likely more or less just a cosmetic rather than important structural flaw.

Good luck.

Red 333

Edited by Red 333