Gibson Brands Forums

Relicing

Crids

I understand a custom shop trying to duplicate an exact, famous guitar for an exotic collector but all other relic-ing is fake mojo.  It's like buying a hardcore trail motorbike, covering it in mud and bashing the tank with a hammer to make it look like you've ridden it hard and are bad-***.  Fake mojo.  

9 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I try to not beat them up in the first place.

They're not cheap so I try to keep them in good condition.  It would be like need some road rash on that Conti "silencer"...

Apparently you don't want to be one of the cool kids.

so.. what do I think ? 

Getting there naturally, from years of use,  that is nothing to "fret" over (see what I did there??) 

To get that way artificially,  don't really find the allure.  But, it's horses for courses, if someone wants to drop some cash on a Relic'd axe, who am I to judge?

I thought it was really dumb.  I tried a very early relic'd Telecaster.  It played like a dream, but was not at all a 5 thousand dollar guitar for me.

Imagine if they sold cars, or houses maybe, like guitars?  Guitars are the only thing you charge expensive brand new prices PLUS a premium for making them beat up.  Weird.

rct

2 hours ago, rct said:

I thought it was really dumb.  I tried a very early relic'd Telecaster.  It played like a dream, but was not at all a 5 thousand dollar guitar for me.

Imagine if they sold cars, or houses maybe, like guitars?  Guitars are the only thing you charge expensive brand new prices PLUS a premium for making them beat up.  Weird.

rct

Car guys do Rat Rods. Not sure if they cost

3 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Each to their own. Me, I don't get relic'ing at all. But then, there's lots of stuff I don't get. 

Actually, mainly sushi. But that counts. 

I could say some thing that I don't get, but it would certainly be a lifetime ban.

Sushi is good. I lived in Japan for 2 years.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:35 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

more. 

Can't edit anymore. Lame.

click on the three dots on the right edge of the thread you posted..(opposite from your name)  that will bring you to edit functions

Edited by kidblast

I relic'ed a Brownsville LP copy one time. 

But only because the pawn shop reject had been adorned with a bunch of stickers and fake metal studs, and I had to sand off a pound and a half of super glue residue once I pried them off. 

Before and after:

rV3Ahne.jpg

vIVdnG3.jpg

It turned out really nice, and I sold it to a fellow who really dug the relic'ing vibe. 
Great playing guitar, all in all. 

Bottom line though, I would NEVER do this to a perfectly fine Gibson Les Paul. 
No way. 
Ever. 
🙂

6 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I relic'ed a Brownsville LP copy one time. 

But only because the pawn shop reject had been adorned with a bunch of stickers and fake metal studs, and I had to sand off a pound and a half of super glue residue once I pried them off. 

Before and after:

rV3Ahne.jpg

vIVdnG3.jpg

It turned out really nice, and I sold it to a fellow who really dug the relic'ing vibe. 
Great playing guitar, all in all. 

Bottom line though, I would NEVER do this to a perfectly fine Gibson Les Paul. 
No way. 
Ever. 
🙂

Pete Townshend could have taken care of that in .02 seconds.