Gibson Brands Forums

Ren Ferguson’s New Project.

bayoubengal1954

Thanx for this update. So cool that Ferguson is ready to take another round. Will be exciting to follow, , , and not least hear what he/they have created.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Wish them luck

• Like 1

I do wish Ren and his son all the luck in the world.  Sorry to say though that while I certainly acknowledge the skill involved when it comes inlay, translucent blue finishes and whatever it is lost on me.  

What I did find intriguing is the back bracing on that New Yorker-esque guitar.  Starts off as a thinner flat V and looks to get progressively thicker moving to a half round and then a full round carve at the butt end.  This is a kind of a take of a really old school Martin design.      

• Like 1

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Thanx for this update. So cool that Ferguson is ready to take another round. Will be exciting to follow, , , and not least hear what he/they have created.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Wish them luck

I don't think he is going to need luck is a legend and a master builder he is just going to need people with enough cash to buy his guitars.

• Like 1

Neither the headstock nor the bridge design was revealed, the de-facto hallmarks of any guitar builder and a major selling point. As boutique guitar builders, I think Ferguson & Son will do fine regardless. Ren still championing the J-185 design is more than charming.

Edited by Leonard McCoy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Neither the headstock nor the bridge design was revealed, the de-facto hallmarks of any guitar builder and a major selling point. As boutique guitar builders, I think Ferguson & Son will do fine regardless. Ren still championing the J-185 design is more than charming.

The headstock was shown in an earlier thread

Ten

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, zombywoof said:

What I did find intriguing is the back bracing on that New Yorker-esque guitar.  Starts off as a thinner flat V and looks to get progressively thicker moving to a half round and then a full round carve at the butt end.  This is a kind of a take of a really old school Martin design.      

Yes, the New Yorker inspired model is interesting to me as well. Here is the first one.

This one has Brazilian Rosewood B/S 😳💰💰💰💰
From the video it sounded like regular offerings will have either Koa or Spalted Maple. I guess for bigger bucks one could ask for different woods for a Custom Build.

3lJggX2.jpg 

EI3BpJR.jpg

ve7ZP0l.jpg

Edited by bayoubengal1954
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

The custom order @ t=6:16 , why to go from 12 fret to the 13 fret design "pushes the bridge deeper into the body" Ren says?

Just guessing that a 13 fretter long scale may push it deeper than a 12 fretter short scale? The long scale should be more powerful.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

It pains me to agree with the good Doctor on this one. 

I'm pretty sure some of the planets just stopped their orbit due to you agreeing with me.

I like the headstock, it looks like more of what you would see on a classical guitar.

13 minutes ago, bayoubengal1954 said:

Well, after hearing from Chad at Music Villa I have learned the pricing will be as I feared (actually worse). 

The instruments will be in the neighborhood of $6500. Oh well. It was fun to dream!

If its Braz RW and made by Ren, you better get ready to sell a kidney to get it or be the owner of a major sports team to afford it.

14 minutes ago, bayoubengal1954 said:

Well, after hearing from Chad at Music Villa I have learned the pricing will be as I feared (actually worse). 

The instruments will be in the neighborhood of $6500. Oh well. It was fun to dream!

It's a beautiful guitar and a good place to start - the Dread. Must be a matter of time before it can be heard. Exciting. The volute design ? , , , could live with it but. . 

• Like 1