Gibson Brands Forums

John Lennon signature EJ-160 question

Joel C

I apologize if this has been asked before: I picked up a used signature EJ160 and I was surprised it had a 25.5 scale. Everything I can find says the original J160 was 24.75 as is the current model EJ 160 that is currently being produced. Does anyone know why they went with that scale?

My guess is that part, if not all, of the reason is simply because the imported machine made Epiphone version of the Gibson J160 needed to be differentiated from the modern day Gibson, USA handcrafted version, which had a significantly higher new price tag.  There are likely probably some other differentiations between the two, although both bear a similar model number (except for the E in the Epiphone model name) and look similar.  Such as a variation on the materials of the back and sides and the version of the pickup in each.   

How does the Epiphone EJ160 play and sound?

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

I find that after after I play my long scale neck guitars for an extended stretch, it feels strange to play my short scale guitars for a short while.  Likewise, after I play my short scale guitars for an extended stretch, it then feels strange to play my long scale ones for a short while.  Its all just getting used to the long or short scale, then it becomes no longer noticeable.  I would think once you get used to the positioning of the fretboard, it won't be noticeable to you anymore.    How long have you had the guitar?  If you just purchased it, and if its really not what you thought it would be, can you return it?   

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff  

Edited by QuestionMark

On 2/22/2021 at 12:09 PM, Joel C said:

I apologize if this has been asked before: I picked up a used signature EJ160 and I was surprised it had a 25.5 scale. Everything I can find says the original J160 was 24.75 as is the current model EJ 160 that is currently being produced. Does anyone know why they went with that scale?

For many years, and until the last four or five, most imported Epiphone acoustics were long-scale. Not only that, the bodies of the slope shoulder models (like the JL EJ-160e) were also differently proportioned to the Gibson originals. The Pac-Rim manufactures (who were contracted by Epiphone to make guitars for them) were adept making affordable Martin style and proportioned acoustics, and simply softened the shoulders of the long-scale dreads they made to produce an inexact Gibson slope shape. To change the body shape and scale length more would have required a bigger investment than they were willing to make, given how much the guitars sold for. If you compare waist of many such Epiphones to the equivalent Gibson model, you will see the Epiphone's is much wider, like a Martin dread (or a Gibson square-shoulder dread, like a Hummingbird, which itself is a copy of a Martin).

In the early 2000's, Epiphone opened their own factories in China that they had full control of. While initial slope shoulder acoustic guitars that came out of those factories had the same hybrid Martin/Gibson dread shape they had  for years, Epiphone slowly made changes to bring specs more in alignment with Gibson models.  About four or five years ago, Epiphone did change the body proportions of the EJ-160e, making it much closer to the Gibson bell shape, and changing the scale to the traditional 24 3/4".

Now Epiphone seems to be bringing the specs of their acoustic and electric guitars even closer to the Gibson models they emulate. While the guitars they made in the past are by no means bad and should be evaluated on their own merits, new models are more easily comparable to the Gibson models they emulate, and may usher in a new age of good quality and affordable instruments.

Red 333

Edited by Red 333