Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying this SG

thegrudge

I recently acquired this heavily repaired and modified old SG from a friend for next to nothing. The serial number is 835716 which is apparently either a ‘66 or a ‘69 according to what I can find, but some of the details on it don’t quite fit. The neck has been repaired at least twice at the headstock, and it’s has trapezoid inlays but no binding which is strange, and the heel doesn’t look right to me either, nor does the face of the headstock. The pickups don’t match each other and I think they’re replacements but might still be Gibsons, and the bridge obviously used to be some kind of trem style. The whole thing has the patina of an old guitar, but any thoughts on what’s going on with it would be much appreciated.

https://thegrudge.imgbb.com/albums

6 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Heavily repaired and modified is right. 

It's like a 1967 Buick Wildcat that has an Oldsmobile engine, Pontiac hubcaps, major frame damage, and sketchy wiring. 

What do they want for that thing anyway?

Just curious. 
😗

The owner is an old friend who knows I spend some of my spare time building and rebuilding guitars and basses. He’s got a japanese jazz bass that needs some parts replaced and a setup so he gave me the guitar in trade for the work and money spent on parts...sort of. Basically he wants $300 (Canadian dollars) for the guitar so I pay for the parts and fix the bass and if that comes to less than the $300 I pay the difference. Like I said, next to nothing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thegrudge said:

The owner is an old friend who knows I spend some of my spare time building and rebuilding guitars and basses. He’s got a japanese jazz bass that needs some parts replaced and a setup so he gave me the guitar in trade for the work and money spent on parts...sort of. Basically he wants $300 (Canadian dollars) for the guitar so I pay for the parts and fix the bass and if that comes to less than the $300 I pay the difference. Like I said, next to nothing.

Well, you can't beat that deal with a stick!

In that case, the pedigree of the guitar probably doesn't matter so much. 
If the playable-fretboard stretch of the neck is true, and not warped or twisted, then you have a great foundation upon which to resurrect The Phoenix of all old SG's. 

Sounds like a labor of love, and a lot of good karma going on there. 
Bravo. 
🙂

3 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Well, you can't beat that deal with a stick!

In that case, the pedigree of the guitar probably doesn't matter so much. 
If the playable-fretboard stretch of the neck is true, and not warped or twisted, then you have a great foundation upon which to resurrect The Phoenix of all old SG's. 

Sounds like a labor of love, and a lot of good karma going on there. 
Bravo. 
🙂

Yeah it’s the definition of ‘player grade’, the neck is straight and the truss rod seems to work, but it needs a refret more than any guitar I’ve ever seen. 

Considering the price and condition I’m not too concerned with a genuine restoration, I just want to build it into a cool, playable instrument. Regarding the pedigree, I’m mostly just curious, right now it’s kind of an oddity and like I said there’s some things that don’t make sense. I’ve never seen an SG with trap inlays and no binding, and the neck is really slim. I wonder if someone removed the binding and reshaped the neck, or if it’s a new one altogether since the headstock looks like it’s been fully removed at some point. Just trying to see if anyone can help with the mystery....