Gibson Brands Forums

G-45 discontinued?

Randwulf

6 minutes ago, Randwulf said:

Thanks, Sgt. Pepper. Seems strange to discontinue a model that was introduced less than two years ago.  Interesting. I'm glad I got mine when I did. 

Gibson puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose.

There is no rhyme or reason to what they do.

Thanks again, Sgt. Pepper. Seems like a strange way to run things. I think the G-45 is a winner--sustainable woods, solid wood construction, and, to me, a really nice tone. I have enjoyed the walnut/spruce combination. Granted, I haven't played $2,000+ Gibson acoustics, but that's the point; the G-45 represents Gibson tone and quality in an affordable, relatively speaking, guitar. The discontinuation doesn't make sense to me unless the powers-that-be have decided to go with the J-15, which is damn near twice as much as the G-45. Oh, well. 

2 minutes ago, Randwulf said:

Thanks again, Sgt. Pepper. Seems like a strange way to run things. I think the G-45 is a winner--sustainable woods, solid wood construction, and, to me, a really nice tone. I have enjoyed the walnut/spruce combination. Granted, I haven't played $2,000+ Gibson acoustics, but that's the point; the G-45 represents Gibson tone and quality in an affordable, relatively speaking, guitar. The discontinuation doesn't make sense to me unless the powers-that-be have decided to go with the J-15, which is damn near twice as much as the G-45. Oh, well. 

As they say money talks...

Why make affordable guitars for the common man?

26 minutes ago, Randwulf said:

it really is all about the $numbers$    If G45s were flying off the shelves, they'd still be making them.

Be glad you got in while you could,  hang on to it,, good acoustics only improve with age.

Thanks, kidblast. Yeah, that's what I figured. If they were selling them, they'd still be making them.  They are good guitars, though, or at least the studio version is, which is the only one I have experience with.  I would think more people would be into them. I guess folks just prefer the more classic Gibson models.  Yes, I'm glad I got one. And I'll be keeping it.

9 minutes ago, Randwulf said:

Damn.  What is Gibson doing, cleaning house? This sure doesn't sound like an effective strategy for attracting new customers.  Yeah, hardycreek1, I'm hanging on to my G-45, too.

If it doesn't make JC money it goes bye bye.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Randwulf said:

I was wondering if the G-45 has been discontinued. If so, does anyone know why? I have the Studio version and think it's a really nice guitar , especially for someone who wants a Gibson but can't  afford an expensive one. Thanks.

My estimation is this:
There's a huge shortage of quality guitars and all pertaining equipment in the market (Gibson, Fender and all other names!) due to the stupid #covid19 pandemic. It will take years for the supply to stabilize.  So, they did the right thing and oriented their efforts towards the products which are in highest demand and pay the best. That is pure math and any responsible entrepreneur will think and act that way. This brings long-term stability to the company, not just short-term profit. Good for Gibson and everyone else, including customers.

Cheaper items will come back sooner or later, maybe 2 years down the road. (I am in Europe, there are almost no new guitars to be found, and it's been almost a year, since I ordered an ES-335 Satin ... still waiting for a miracle, like a beached dolphin, LOL).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Randwulf said:

Thanks, kidblast. Yeah, that's what I figured. If they were selling them, they'd still be making them.  They are good guitars, though, or at least the studio version is, which is the only one I have experience with.  I would think more people would be into them. I guess folks just prefer the more classic Gibson models.  Yes, I'm glad I got one. And I'll be keeping it.

not that I go lots of places that sell Gibson's,  but out in the wild, I've never seen one in a GC or places that are Gibson Dealers

J series, usually 45 variants, but never something like  a SJ200,  and a lot of people are leery of buying acoustics online, so  I guess there's some of that going on too.

I do agree with Nimda, the Pandemic has touched all aspects of life in companies like this.  Most people are lucky if they can keep their jobs.  this Covid thing has been a disaster on multiple levels.

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

One thing is true, we can trust the KKR guys to do what's best for Gibson. They saved the name, the process and the factory (two?), what's left is pure gold. Trust is the word! 

They want their money back and nothing more.  "Saving" anything was not on their agenda.  Business is business, debt is debt, doesn't matter how iconic your products are.

rct

7 minutes ago, rct said:

They want their money back and nothing more.  "Saving" anything was not on their agenda.  Business is business, debt is debt, doesn't matter how iconic your products are.

rct

Yes, that's true, agree 100%.
I'm just saying they're doing a might good job doing it. Probably the only way... And that's on top of the #covid19 situation.

Well, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I worked for Gibson from the late 70s through the early 80s at the Nashville plant, back when it was new.  Norlin Industries owned the brand at that time. I built Les Pauls and SGs. We were always changing things and experimenting with new tone woods. We actually ran a batch  of Les Paul bodies made of oak, if you can imagine that. The things weighed a ton. Then there was The Paul made of walnut, which were actually good guitars. The Firebrand was another short-lived LP and SG model. Models come and go. It's all about the bottom line, which is the way of things. Get 'em while you can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Randwulf said:

Well, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I worked for Gibson from the late 70s through the early 80s at the Nashville plant, back when it was new.  Norlin Industries owned the brand at that time. I built Les Pauls and SGs. We were always changing things and experimenting with new tone woods. We actually ran a batch  of Les Paul bodies made of oak, if you can imagine that. The things weighed a ton. Then there was The Paul made of walnut, which were actually good guitars. The Firebrand was another short-lived LP and SG model. Models come and go. It's all about the bottom line, which is the way of things. Get 'em while you can. 

Interesting stuff man!  I bet there's more stories jus as interesting lurking in the back of your head.