Gibson Brands Forums

Resale appraisle?

callen3615

Hey guys, and gals. Im currently saving for a gibson lp standard. I would like a custom but I dont have that much cash. I have a epi lp standard with alot of mods. In the long run I would like a standard and a custom. Well since I cant afford a gibson custom I was thinking of a epi custom, then the gibson lp standard in the summer. So I kinda want to know what my lp is worth.

Heres the stats:

Epiphone les paul standard plus top

New pickups-

Duncan distortion

Duncan Jazz

New pickguard

New knobs

It is a factory 2nd, it has a small chunk missing from the bottom of the back. I payed 300 for it last summer.

Heres a pic

100_1974.jpg

If that were my guitar and it was only worth two fiddy, I'd just keep it and save up for a Gibson. Nothing wrong with an Epi Custom but if you really want a Gibson, get a Gibson. Even if it means waiting a while longer.

Not that I'm questioning AXE's expertise here but why wouldn't you post this in the Epi section? You'll probably get more responses there. Good luck, whatever you do...

Hey guys' date=' and gals. Im currently saving for a gibson lp standard. I would like a custom but I dont have that much cash. I have a epi lp standard with alot of mods. In the long run I would like a standard and a custom. Well since I cant afford a gibson custom I was thinking of a epi custom, then the gibson lp standard in the summer. So I kinda want to know what my lp is worth.

New pickups-

Duncan distortion

Duncan Jazz

New pickguard

New knobs

It is a factory 2nd, it has a small chunk missing from the bottom of the back. I payed 300 for it last summer.

[/quote']

My personal feeling is that "mods" are side-grades, for the most part, rather than upgrades, unless they materially change what the guitar is capable of doing. Most are simply taste issues, and often a buyer will prefer to start with an unmodified guitar. This includes pickups (which are nothing more than a personal taste in sound, no matter how much they set you back), knobs, pickguards and anything cosmetic. I have a guitar now whose previous owner decided the knobs "looked too much like skateboard wheels"so he swapped them out for Gibson speed knobs, thinking it was an upgrade. Unfortunately, he found that he'd devalued the guitar by nearly $200, since those knobs are extremely difficult to find and run $45 *each* if you can find them on eBay.

Unless you find someone who wants that specific set of mods on a guitar, you shouldn't expect to find buyers willing to pay MORE just because you spent the money and think they're better. Axe is probably pretty much on the money with his estimate.

I think Are Nine's advice is best -- I wouldn't try "stair-stepping" up to the Gibson by moving to another Epi along the way. You're just going to suffer the depreciation of yet another guitar when you go to sell the Epi, and if this one will hold you, wait until you can afford the Gibson you want. One more thing -- keep an eye on Craig's and on eBay. It's very possible you'll find the Gibson you want in great condition used and at a great price; folks are letting go of some luxury items in this economy that they wouldn't do ordinarily, simply to make house payments and put food on the table. If you have buying power when that happens, you can make some great purchases and save some serious bucks at the same time.

Looks like a pretty nice Epiphone, Callen...might be more valuable to you in the long run if you just keep and enjoy it. Or, when you do finally get a Gibson, you could always pass the Epiphone to some kid that can't afford (or their folks can't afford) to buy a guitar (trust me, the good deed will come back to you eventually).

The Epiphone name has been so tarnished, with the 2nds, fakes, used, ect., crap out there, I don't know how you could even sell one.

They're almost free already.......

Best of luck.

Murph.

I'm probably never going to spend more that 1000 dollars on a guitar' date=' its just not worth that to me. [/quote']

Yes you will....

You've been bitten by the Les Paul bug.

:-)

Save the Epi, play the hell out of it.

Not worth selling, you can't make any money on it but you don't have to lose...

Focus on what you WANT, shop used guitars since LP's hold their value and are durable if cared for at all.

Keep the Epi for whatever, some day you might be offered enough to sell it.

save your EPI, buy a used Gibson.

it is a buyer's market for sure. You would be a fool IMO to buy a new Gibson. Standards from the 80s to current routinely go for $1300-2000 depending on year, condition etc. Used Classics go for $1k-1400. Hell even used R8s and G0s occasionally go for $1800 with R9s around $3k-3400. The market is weak and buying used can score you some awesome gear with (relatively) little money.

just make sure you buy the guitar you want, otherwise we'll be repeating this conversation in 3-6 months. lol

Looks like a pretty nice Epiphone' date=' Callen...might be more valuable to you in the long run if you just keep and enjoy it. Or, when you do finally get a Gibson, you could always pass the Epiphone to some kid that can't afford (or their folks can't afford) to buy a guitar (trust me, the good deed will come back to you eventually). [/quote']

I second that....

Epi's are good guitars for the cash... That ones got a nice top too!! Save for the Gibson Standard buy it then start saving for a custom... Thought I was lucky to get my first Gibson last year.. now I have three...

Regards

Flight959

Archived