Gibson Brands Forums

Is J-15 still an option?

hardycreek1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its gone from Gibson's site and SW does not have them.  Gotta make room for more J-45's.

Yep, another J45 model is just what we need.......   I really like Gibsons, but when is a J45 no longer a J45?

Maybe in a couple years they’ll bring the J15 back.  They are nice guitars.

7 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yep, another J45 model is just what we need.......   I really like Gibsons, but when is a J45 no longer a J45?

Maybe in a couple years they’ll bring the J15 back.  They are nice guitars.

They will at a much increased price.

Amusingly,  in another thread we have critics decrying the prices of exquisite guitars being made by Ren, while here we have a round of complaints about the elimination of a model on the other end of the price spectrum - and a few digs at Gibson's middle of the road iconic workhorse.  I guess Social Media / forums lend themselves to this.   (Funny how no one on this forum has ever been asked to join the Board of Directors at Gibson. ) 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Amusingly,  in another thread we have critics decrying the prices of exquisite guitars being made by Ren, while here we have a round of complaints about the elimination of a model on the other end of the price spectrum - and a few digs at Gibson's middle of the road iconic workhorse.  I guess Social Media / forums lend themselves to this.   (Funny how no one on this forum has ever been asked to join the Board of Directors at Gibson. ) 

I'll do it but they wont pay me what I'm worth. I applaud the fact that Gibson had the J-15 at a reasonable price, but they were steadily going up and about $1700 or so right before they nixed 'em. And if they kept making them in a few years would certainly be over 2k.

Anyone who knows Ren is, and what he does knows his stuff is gonna cost you and arm and a leg and a kidney too. Does Martin make high dollar guitars too. Yes. But they also have reasonably priced ones, unfortunate they are made in Mexico.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'll do it but they wont pay me what I'm worth. I applaud the fact that Gibson had the J-15 at a reasonable price, but they were steadily going up and about $1700 or so right before they nixed 'em. And if they kept making them in a few years would certainly be over 2k.

Anyone who knows Ren is, and what he does knows his stuff is gonna cost you and arm and a leg and a kidney too. Does Martin make high dollar guitars too. Yes. But they also have reasonably priced ones, unfortunate they are made in Mexico.

It sounds like you’re implying Gibson doesn’t make any reasonably priced guitars like Martin does on its imported line...seemingly forgetting that Gibson’s reasonably priced guitars come out under their imported Epiphone brand,  Just saying...

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

It sounds like you’re implying Gibson doesn’t make any reasonably priced guitars like Martin does on its imported line...seemingly forgetting that Gibson’s reasonably priced guitars come out under their imported Epiphone brand,  Just saying...

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

2 are under 2k at 1650.  The next price jump is 2150. So what is reasonably priced to you may be different to me. I have a good job and can afford a 3k guitar right now if I want, but what about some 16 year old kid? You think 1600 is pocket change to a 16 year old. 

An Epi is not a Gibson no matter what any one says and you know it.

53 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

2 are under 2k at 1650.  The next price jump is 2150. So what is reasonably priced to you may be different to me. I have a good job and can afford a 3k guitar right now if I want, but what about some 16 year old kid? You think 1600 is pocket change to a 16 year old. 

The thing is, guitar manufacturers trade in aspiration, as I wrote in a post a few weeks ago...look at it from a business perspective-if a 16yr old kid with a summer job can buy a Gibson off the peg for $750, why would they be motivated to upgrade further down the line, when so much of the strange, liminal romance that young players have with guitars is based around the name on the headstock, and the dream of owning one of the guitars their heroes play/played?

I love "real" Martins, but don't dig the cheap HPL/Stratabond/Micarta/Laminate recipe Mexican offerings. I've never played one that felt or sounded like it deserved the name on the headstock. Just my take on it. I feel like they cheapen the brand somewhat. Call them a Martian or a Matinée or something...they're nowhere near the same league as an OM18 or D35, not even in the same county. They're not terrible, by any means, but if an Epi isn't a Gibson, an HPL Mexican Martin isn't a Martin.

FWIW, I feel that Gibson have got the ladder of aspiration set just right with Epiphone as the subsidiary brand. That kid with their summer job money can buy an basic Epi Dove, Hummingbird of J45, wail on it and be happy...when they start gigging and making some extra money that way, they can ramp up to the all-solid Inspired By Gibson range, of which the J45, Hummingbird and SJ200 are excellent value for money, or the Masterbilt line, all of which sound and play like pro, working musician level instruments. Not Gibsons, but very serviceable guitars nonetheless.

From there, after a couple of years of working the bars, clubs and small venues, maybe that aspirational picker is really starting to live the dream, make some decent money and thinks "I'm going to trade in my Epi for the real thing, I've done the hard yards and I deserve a Gibson", and the ladder of aspiration has been climbed, with said picker brand-loyal all the way up. 

I'm not for one moment suggesting that anyone has to do any "paid my dues" bunkum to buy a Gibson (hell, if you can afford something-anything-you want, just buy the damn thing!), Just giving an example of how the stairway of aspiration thing works in business terms. If you make someone's dreams come true for nickels and dimes, why would they ever spend the big folding money?

13 minutes ago, Jinder said:

The thing is, guitar manufacturers trade in aspiration, as I wrote in a post a few weeks ago...look at it from a business perspective-if a 16yr old kid with a summer job can buy a Gibson off the peg for $750, why would they be motivated to upgrade further down the line, when so much of the strange, liminal romance that young players have with guitars is based around the name on the headstock, and the dream of owning one of the guitars their heroes play/played?

I love "real" Martins, but don't dig the cheap HPL/Stratabond/Micarta/Laminate recipe Mexican offerings. I've never played one that felt or sounded like it deserved the name on the headstock. Just my take on it. I feel like they cheapen the brand somewhat. Call them a Martian or a Matinée or something...they're nowhere near the same league as an OM18 or D35, not even in the same county. They're not terrible, by any means, but if an Epi isn't a Gibson, an HPL Mexican Martin isn't a Martin.

FWIW, I feel that Gibson have got the ladder of aspiration set just right with Epiphone as the subsidiary brand. That kid with their summer job money can buy an basic Epi Dove, Hummingbird of J45, wail on it and be happy...when they start gigging and making some extra money that way, they can ramp up to the all-solid Inspired By Gibson range, of which the J45, Hummingbird and SJ200 are excellent value for money, or the Masterbilt line, all of which sound and play like pro, working musician level instruments. Not Gibsons, but very serviceable guitars nonetheless.

From there, after a couple of years of working the bars, clubs and small venues, maybe that aspirational picker is really starting to live the dream, make some decent money and thinks "I'm going to trade in my Epi for the real thing, I've done the hard yards and I deserve a Gibson", and the ladder of aspiration has been climbed, with said picker brand-loyal all the way up. 

I'm not for one moment suggesting that anyone has to do any "paid my dues" bunkum to buy a Gibson (hell, if you can afford something-anything-you want, just buy the damn thing!), Just giving an example of how the stairway of aspiration thing works in business terms. If you make someone's dreams come true for nickels and dimes, why would they ever spend the big folding money?

A well thought out, well said post, Jinder!

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

$999 USA made. I don't see Martin and Taylor doing this.

Gibson G-45 Studio Acoustic-Electric Guitar (with Case)

Body
- Shape: J-45
- Back & Sides: Walnut
- Top: Sitka spruce
- Binding: Multi-ply top

Neck
- Neck: Utile
- Prole: Advanced Response
- Nut width: 1.725" / 43.82mm
- Fingerboard: Walnut
- Scale length: 24.75" / 628.65mm
- Number of frets: 20
- Nut: Tusq
- Inlay: Dot inlay

Hardware
- Bridge: Traditional belly up, walnut
- Tuners: Mini Grover Rotomatic

Electronics
- Controls: Sound hole mounted controls
- Case: G-Series Hardshell
- Electronics: Fishman Sonitone

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBRSG4STU?siid=259152&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtD4Dp0-HdXZETOxStEqm2WxpZR7HT9Wad8rqltoxjYsOkrBnk2uSkIaAqRxEALw_wcB

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-180d052767002b5

“Call them a Martian or a Matinée or something..”

funny! I live on the border, & we call them marteen’s down here. I have a dreadnaught jr, that I like a lot, but I get what you’re saying. I have a friend who bought 2 Mexican martins & had issues with both of them. He was not happy, & let Martin know about it. He just returned them, & got his money back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul14 said:

“Call them a Martian or a Matinée or something..”

funny! I live on the border, & we call them marteen’s down here. I have a dreadnaught jr, that I like a lot, but I get what you’re saying. I have a friend who bought 2 Mexican martins & had issues with both of them. He was not happy, & let Martin know about it. He just returned them, & got his money back.

I wasn't trying to bash Taylor and Martin, I have and like both brands. I don't like the business practice that they have to leave the country to make an affordable guitar. They should not have their name on them. Electric-wise I dislike Fender doing this when they have the Squire line. I have Fenders and a Squire was my main guitar for years.

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

I wasn't trying to bash Taylor and Martin, I have and like both brands. I don't like the business practice that they have to leave the country to make an affordable guitar. They should not have their name on them. Electric-wise I dislike Fender doing this when they have the Squire line. I have Fenders and a Squire was my main guitar for years.

Well the sad part is. All the main makers are doing that.     And all these Main makers have just flooded the market with what theyve built and moved on already .  There are alot of Newer used guitars out there being sold.   

Im seeing deception as well on new Epiphone Frampton model acoustics. A US  Label only. Made over seas sticker thats totally removable on the back of the headstock. 

10 hours ago, Jinder said:

In other news, apologies for threadjacking. I owned a J15 and really loved it. One of the "ones that got away"...wish I still had it. I predict a gradual rise in used prices if Gibson don't reintroduce them.

That is exactly what is going to happen the used J-15's will start to go up immediately once sellers find out they are no longer made.

And you are right Mex. CFM's are garbage. I never have or will own one. I pick them up when in a store and laugh at them. They look awful and any feel like toys.

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

Body

Neck

Hardware

Electronics

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBRSG4STU?siid=259152&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtD4Dp0-HdXZETOxStEqm2WxpZR7HT9Wad8rqltoxjYsOkrBnk2uSkIaAqRxEALw_wcB

You better snatch it up while you can. If you look on Gibson's site those are not made any more, so that must be a close out they trying to sell to make room for new stuff.

And Gibson did lower the price Zzsounds did. Gibson already made their money off that guitar when Zzsound took possession of it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

Didn’t think you were bashing anyone. When I bought my Dreadnaught jr, it was $350. Just after they first came out. Now they’re $600. I probably wouldn’t have bought it at the new price.

15 hours ago, Dave F said:

Body

Neck

Hardware

Electronics

Aren't these discontinued as well?

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why is this Gibson's issue? Are you going to go after Collings next, or perhaps Huss & Dalton or any of the other USA manufacturers? Plenty of options out there these days in everyone's price range. Doesn't mean that every company has a moral obligation to provide something for everyone in every price range. 

8 minutes ago, sbpark said:

Why is this Gibson's issue? Are you going to go after Collings next, or perhaps Huss & Dalton or any of the other USA manufacturers? Plenty of options out there these days in everyone's price range. Doesn't mean that every company has a moral obligation to provide something for everyone in every price range. 

I'm not coming after anyone. I think its lame that Gibson dumped that model that I know people liked at a decent price. But like I've been told. People who can't afford Gibsons can go buy Epi's, which is almost the same thing right. A taco from Taco Bell and  and getting the real thing in Mexico are the same thing right?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

28 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not coming after anyone. I think its lame that Gibson dumped that model that I know people liked at a decent price. But like I've been told. People who can't afford Gibsons can go buy Epi's, which is almost the same thing right. A taco from Taco Bell and  and getting the real thing in Mexico are the same thing right?

Taco Bell is very popular in Mexico. 

• Haha 1