Gibson Brands Forums

Is J-15 still an option?

hardycreek1

18 hours ago, Dave F said:

$999 USA made. I don't see Martin and Taylor doing this.

Gibson G-45 Studio Acoustic-Electric Guitar (with Case)

Body
- Shape: J-45
- Back & Sides: Walnut
- Top: Sitka spruce
- Binding: Multi-ply top

Neck
- Neck: Utile
- Prole: Advanced Response
- Nut width: 1.725" / 43.82mm
- Fingerboard: Walnut
- Scale length: 24.75" / 628.65mm
- Number of frets: 20
- Nut: Tusq
- Inlay: Dot inlay

Hardware
- Bridge: Traditional belly up, walnut
- Tuners: Mini Grover Rotomatic

Electronics
- Controls: Sound hole mounted controls
- Case: G-Series Hardshell
- Electronics: Fishman Sonitone

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBRSG4STU?siid=259152&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtD4Dp0-HdXZETOxStEqm2WxpZR7HT9Wad8rqltoxjYsOkrBnk2uSkIaAqRxEALw_wcB

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-180d052767002b5

I suspect, the G45 for $999 was too close in price and target marketplace to the Epiphone Inspired by J45 model selling for $699, which looks like a fairly decent guitar.   I think it’s pretty cool the way Epiphone is carving out its own niche of affordable decent well made instruments.  Not Gibsons, but affordable decent guitars with many Gibson characteristics and vibes.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

How to compete with imports for the entry-level market has been a dilemma & ongoing struggle for Gibson & Martin (and others) since the early seventies.

In the late ‘90s & early 2000s, Martin was building the Road-Series in the USA, with solid tops, laminated sides, and rosewood board & bridge for well under 1K ($699 if I recall correctly), and they represented an excellent value.  The 1-Series added solid backs on some models, and the 16-Series added all solid woods (plus ebony board & bridge) for a hair under 1K.  But in 2001, Micarta boards & bridges first appeared on the 16-series, and shortly thereafter, the USA-made & HPL-riddled X-Series made it’s debut.  A few years later, X-Series production switched to Mexico, and the slippery slope of the lowest-labor-chase was in full swing as more entry level production switched to Mexico.  In 2009, Martin tried to bring back a low-buck USA-made Martin with a new 1-series, featuring an all solid wood body mated to a Stratabond neck for $899.  It only lasted a few years.

Meanwhile, in the late ‘90s & early 2000s, Gibson was building the well regarded WM series - featuring all solid wood spruce & mahogany bodies, mated to a morado board & bridge.  These sold for approx $1100-1200 at the time.  The J-15 first sold for $1499 in 2014, and was a nice instrument at it’s price point.  So to recently see Gibson make an effort to sell a $999 USA-made slope dread was quite a surprise, and quite commendable, imho.  I guessed at the time that it would rather quickly leave the scene, as these low-end USA-built entries typically have now for decades.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've been to Mexico about 10 times and never seen one. Best tacos I ever had were in Puerto Vallarta on the street.

Was planing to move to Puerto Vallarta. Before the cartels took over the country. It was my home away from home. Believe me they have Taco Bell, as well as Walmart, & Sams club, Lowes & others.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not coming after anyone. I think its lame that Gibson dumped that model that I know people liked at a decent price. But like I've been told. People who can't afford Gibsons can go buy Epi's, which is almost the same thing right. A taco from Taco Bell and  and getting the real thing in Mexico are the same thing right?

Your rationales hold zero water here. There are plenty of things I can't afford and have to go with the cheaper option. In some cases it means you also lose overall quality. That's just the way it is. I don't blame a particular car company when I can't afford a particular model. 

Just sounds like you enjoy playing the victim here and placing blame on everyone else when someone can't afford the guitar they want. First world problems.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sbpark said:

Your rationales hold zero water here. There are plenty of things I can't afford and have to go with the cheaper option. In some cases it means you also lose overall quality. That's just the way it is. I don't blame a particular car company when I can't afford a particular model. 

Just sounds like you enjoy playing the victim here and placing blame on everyone else when someone can't afford the guitar they want. First world problems.

Me too. I have no Ferrari or Porsche or Stripper girlfriends. But don't tell me (you didn't but its been said) if you can't afford a Gibson that Epi is an option. Yes it is, and so is a Yamaha or any other Chinese made ect ect guitar, but its not ever in the same universe. It's like comparing a Porsche to a Ford Pinto. Both will get you to work, but...

11 hours ago, Paul14 said:

Was planing to move to Puerto Vallarta. Before the cartels took over the country. It was my home away from home. Believe me they have Taco Bell, as well as Walmart, & Sams club, Lowes & others.

The Coast Guard took me there a few times and Acapulco too. And I have crossed the boarder at San Ysidro to TJ tons of times when I was in the Navy and Coast Guard when down in San Diego. I liked PV 10 fold over Acapulco. Its sad we can no longer go to a beautiful country like Mexico any more an feel safe on vacation.

Now back to bashing me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

"Its sad we can no longer go to a beautiful country like Mexico any more an feel safe on vacation."    So true. Very sad.   (Second time this year I've agreed with Dr.P  - I'm going to put myself in time out now.  )

Does Mexico still have a war on drugs, or is it the other way around?   Maybe they should legalize all drugs.  Then the cartels' business will dry up.  

8 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Its sad we can no longer go to a beautiful country like Mexico any more an feel safe on vacation."    So true. Very sad.   (Second time this year I've agreed with Dr.P  - I'm going to put myself in time out now.  )

Does Mexico still have a war on drugs, or is it the other way around?   Maybe they should legalize all drugs.  Then the cartels' business will dry up.  

I think they have a war for drugs. Get in the Cartels way and you will surely pay the price.

It slipped my mind I went to med school.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, Paul14 said:

It always used to make me laugh when I was in the military and when out on liberty in foreign countries many of the guys and girls wanted to eat at McDonald's instead of the local restaurants. Your never gonna get better Japanese food that in oh lets say Japan.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It always used to make me laugh when I was in the military and when out on liberty in foreign countries many of the guys and girls wanted to eat at McDonald's instead of the local restaurants. Your never gonna get better Japanese food that in oh lets say Japan.

Can’t disagree with that. I don’t eat at Taco Bell when in Mexico, but the locals do.

I live 10 miles from the Mexican border, & you can get some excellent Mexican food on this side of the border too. Lots of family owned restaurants.

Now I’m getting hungry! 

• 3 weeks later...