Gibson Brands Forums

EB3 Bass serial numeber 734599

Hello, my Gibson eb3 bass (serial number 734599) has a slightly different body than all other basses.  In the hollow where the neck starts, the corners are straight and not beveled like in a normal gibson EB or SG body. Can you give me any more information as to why it was made this way or if it is part of a particular series?  Attached some pics.  Thank you very much.

IMG_20210225_141702.jpg

IMG_20210225_141605.jpg

IMG_20210225_143800.jpg

IMG_20210225_141741.jpg

My book lists the serial number as either a 70, 71 or 72. With the embossed pickup, I would date it as a 1972. You can remove the back plate and see if you can read any of the pot codes. It should be similar to 1377248. 137=CTS, 72=year manufactured 1972 & 48= week of year manufactured. This will help verify the year. It can’t be any older than the pots.

1 hour ago, Grog said:

My book lists the serial number as either a 70, 71 or 72. With the embossed pickup, I would date it as a 1972. You can remove the back plate and see if you can read any of the pot codes. It should be similar to 1377248. 137=CTS, 72=year manufactured 1972 & 48= week of year manufactured. This will help verify the year. It can’t be any older than the pots.

Thank you very much Grog, I will check it! 

Regarding the shape of the body, without the classic chamfers near the neck, do you have any ideas? 

I attached new pics of classic EB3 body and mine.

Classic EB3 body.jpg

My EB3 body.jpg

Gibson changed the design through the sixties and into the seventies. This era they tried changes to lower production costs & many were not too well received. My 1972 EB-4L used the same basic body & is slightly different than yours. The neck heels evolved quite differently through the years also.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NEhzGqwl.jpg[/img]

Edited by Grog

Ok, thank you so much for your answer! 

2 hours ago, Grog said:

Gibson changed the design through the sixties and into the seventies. This era they tried changes to lower production costs & many were not too well received. My 1972 EB-4L used the same basic body & is slightly different than yours. The neck heels evolved quite differently through the years also.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NEhzGqwl.jpg[/img]