Gibson Brands Forums

2019 les Paul classic setup

Lukef

Hey guys. So I picked up any first Gibson last week. Got a used 2019 LP classic for a pretty good price. I finally got around to putting fresh strings and doing a setup on it last night. I am fairly satisfied how well it is playing my only concerns is that the bridge is lowered all the way it can go on both the bass and treble side. Like I said it plays fine but I just don’t like the idea of not having and adjustment left in the action. Anyone else come across a similar situation?

Measurements?  The Gibson spec is 5/64" on the bass side and 3/64" on treble side at the 12th fret.  Also, how's the neck relief (measurement).  How's the first fret action?  Usually want no more than 0.020" at first fret on each string give or take 2 thou.  If all these are checking out, you probably will have no other option than to do some filing on the bridge to get action lower so you can adjust upward and not be decked out.  I have never had to do bridge filing though and don't advise to have just anyone do this...  This would be my last measure IF I really had to go down this path TBH. 

Was the bridge a replacement - i.e. not OEM so to speak?  You mentioned this was used, so no telling what the last guy(s) did here. 

FYI, my action is 4/64 on the bass and 3/64 on the treble.  Anything lower usually I don't like and typically start getting choking out/buzzes going on.  Specs are a good baseline, but these are not rules you have to live and die by...  I know that some will say that all these specs are a bunch of BS, I've played for 100+ years, never had to mess with this...  I'm just trying to help and the only way we can collaborate here to give you best advice per my experiences is to use quantitative measurements.  I want your guitar to play good and for you to have confidence that it works for you.  Nothing worse than buying a guitar that you have regret for...  Luckily as you said, it plays good and hopefully we can somehow improve what you got going on.  Good luck and best wishes. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

Yea I did tighten the truss rod a bit. When putting a capo on the first fret and fretting the last there is a little less than a business card width of relief at the 9th/10th. I think I’m going to take it to a friend who has all the proper tools for taking actual measurements. Could a nut that is not cut deep enough causing something like this?

58 minutes ago, Lukef said:

Yea I did tighten the truss rod a bit. When putting a capo on the first fret and fretting the last there is a little less than a business card width of relief at the 9th/10th. I think I’m going to take it to a friend who has all the proper tools for taking actual measurements. Could a nut that is not cut deep enough causing something like this?

Yeah, I'd do this, but the tools necessary aren't too much or expensive.  Maybe want to buy that 64ths" card from Stewmac - great investment and can do string action setups consistently every time.  Either way, how low the bridge goes depends on the neck angle when the guitar had it set in production as all of them are different.  Once it is made one way, it never changes, so I think once you get the guitar up to spec, you'll find that adjustment room can be had.  If you eye it out at manufacturer spec, the string action will "look" high, but in actuality, it's as designed and will not be hard to play.  No need to have action like a shredder on a LP - i.e. traditional-like guitar.  Again, best wishes and good luck.  Share pics or it didn't happen! 

Nut?  I wouldn't think so.

My Les Pauls aren't all the way down and the action is low.  

My 345 is pretty darned far down there SO listen to NighthawkChris.  There will be slight variations in guitars.

With the truss rod, snug is good.  It can take a week or so of futzing around until things settle down with the neck adjustment.

Luke: This is not normal.  If the bridge is all the way down then you have no action adjustment.  I'm assuming your guitar has a conventional bridge and tailpiece set-up.  As Steve noted, if the bushings for the bridge are not pushed all the way down then this could explain the bottoming out.  The nut has nothing to do with this and there would have to be a lot of relief in the neck for the truss rod to be part of this problem.  What you describe suggests that the neck angle is too flat; there should be a small backwards angle of the neck relative to the top surface of the body.  For comparison, for my old 87 LPC, with low action (4/64" and 3/64", same as Chris)  the bottom of the low E bridge thumbwheel is 16/64" from the top of the body and 10/64" for the high E end.  You have zero and zero; not good.  Can you take a close-up picture and share?

He's got a 2019 which comes with bushings that stand proud of the body so the bridge can't be lowered as far down as previous models.

Either that's just the way this guitar is going to be or the neck is bowed up a little bit.

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about if you're satisfied with where the string action currently is.  

I tried to attach some pictures of the guitar but it’s saying that the file is too big. But I did find out that these style of thumb screws are actually hollow on the bottom side so I do in fact still have some adjustment left. I was reading that some guys actually find it desirable to have one where the bridge needs to be set up closer to the body so that makes me happy. Lol

• Like 1

I've had a couple of guitars bottom out on bridge adjustment. Its not been a problem as long as the action is good. If it moves later, it will be the relief that has changed. Restore it using the truss rod.

If you need to get the action lower (string gauge change etc) then as NH Chris says, consider fettling back the bridge a little.

If you loosen the strings you'll find that you can lower the bridge a lot further than it seems. There is a recess on the underside of the bridge which allows the studs to go inside and the bridge to sit flush on top of the guitar. Loosening the strings is key to turning the thumbwheels all the way.

• 2 years later...

I just picked up a brand new 22/23 Classic and my string action at first fret is lower than Gibson specs, I measured 0.010" on high e. Can I leave it like that or do I have to change something?

String Action at 12th Fret is something between 3/64 and 4/64 on high e. I have no choking out or buzzing....

1 hour ago, Fearomoon said:

I just picked up a brand new 22/23 Classic and my string action at first fret is lower than Gibson specs, I measured 0.010" on high e. Can I leave it like that or do I have to change something?

String Action at 12th Fret is something between 3/64 and 4/64 on high e. I have no choking out or buzzing....

Go with it. It working the way it should.

Flout the rules & let the Specs Police do their worst.

• Like 1

none of the strings cause buzzing when played open... the other strings except the high e string are also within gibson specifications, only the high e string is a bit low, so purely in terms of dimensions.... if I press down the 3rd fret, it lies completely on the 1st fret. In theory it shouldn't be like that, but if I play it empty, it swings freely, even if I hit it hard... whether it's just cosmetic that bothers me or whether I should have it corrected... I have no idea. It works and it doesn't buzz, but with the string action on the 12th fret I can't get to exactly 3/64 or lower without buzzing.