Gibson Brands Forums

NOGD! 2007 Martin 000-28EC - Warning: Martin Content!

BluesKing777

I picked up a 2007 Martin 000-28EC (Eric Clapton) last Monday....

It has sat at a secondhand instrument/pawn shop for years possibly - I think it was there when I bought some other guitars 18 months ago! So I thought I would put everyone out of their misery and buy it - I first played one in about 1998 when it first arrived at a  shop I frequent and that one was beautiful but very expensive, but one of the first small body guitars I ever saw/tried.

The shop photo for this one was pretty average and when I played it at the shop, it was covered in really thick dust and grime with strings from about...2007! I assumed I was buying a used Stage 2/3 Relic (Pre War Guitar Co term), but after a dust and a wipe and new strings plus a Humidipak in the case, it is pretty unrecognisable after only a few days! It is almost 'unplayed pristine':

yO0wG8Qh.jpg

U9SQDHFh.jpg

Fully inspected! (copied photos on other forum and pasted here!)

OcfCAChh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Congratulations. Mine is a 2007 as well: 1250948.

Nice guitars.

Thanks Nick!

Can you see the photos I posted - I am having forum problems - no 'edit' and can't see the pics....tried everything and posted the same story/pics at AGF and it is all working.

BluesKing777.

18 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks Nick!

Can you see the photos I posted - I am having forum problems - no 'edit' and can't see the pics....tried everything and posted the same story/pics at AGF and it is all working.

BluesKing777.

I had to copy and paste in a browser in order to see them.

They are really nicely-detailed guitars, although they may have gone a bit overboard on the aging toner on the top.

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

3 minutes ago, j45nick said:

BK, The edit function has moved with the new forum layout, and is at the top right opposite the time stamp, under "more options."

Yeah, I found that earlier but no dice with the photos.....they are showing on AGF fine, so.....

Try later or you can all imagine it!😃

BluesKing777.

1 minute ago, BluesKing777 said:

Yeah, I found that earlier but no dice with the photos.....they are showing on AGF fine, so.....

Try later or you can all imagine it!😃

BluesKing777.

You can highlight the link, less the leading and trailing file definition [img], right click on the highlighted link, and go straight to it. (This is on a Windows machine using 10).

9 minutes ago, j45nick said:

You can highlight the link, less the leading and trailing file definition [img], right click on the highlighted link, and go straight to it. (This is on a Windows machine using 10).

Shouldn’t have to, don’t normally and ha ha, I have posted  a photo or 3...😐

Oh , serial is 1260273 and it is the 13,863rd EC.....I thought the number would be 666 or something with THAT neck!

BluesKing777.

28 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Shouldn’t have to, don’t normally and ha ha, I have posted  a photo or 3...😐

Oh , serial is 1260273 and it is the 13,863rd EC.....I thought the number would be 666 or something with THAT neck!

BluesKing777.

You should like the neck shape, nut width, and string spacing. I like the feel of it, but have some trouble adjusting to the flatter radius.

24 minutes ago, jedzep said:

EZ solution. Jump to UMGF. Great pics there.

Did you mix up the imgur link?

Nope, pasted to the other forums with the same ‘copy’ activity from Imgur.

Now that JZ is here, you and CJB are partly to blame for the current GAS fever.......JZ with his 00-18 purchase and CJB with his 50s 00-17 purchase. I was thinking, thinking, thinking...since I had my CEO7 setup recently, I have played it a lot - the Mod V neck is great, better after a setup! Tough otherwise!

Then I thought how much I don’t want a 1 11/16” nut or the MLO neck and I arrived at 3 conclusions.....first was a 00-15M Custom from LA Guitars with a 1 3/4” nut.....except it doesn’t get the full Martin dovetail joint. Then I thought about a Waterloo MH, perfect specs but none anywhere here! Then I looked at the older model 00-18V, perfect specs...00 with Mod V.

One very overpriced unit at a very famous shop that would cost a kidney by the time I imported it. We were close.....

Then I was reading a NGD thread with the EC.......hmmm, Mod V neck...ding, ding. Quick peruse of the local fare shows one brand new in shadetop and .......mine at the second hand shop.

Finished work 1/2 hour early and headed off to join up to a freeway that gets close to the shop with the guitar. Phew, me and my little car among mountain of trucks and other cars both ways, somehow we made it back in one piece.

BluesKing777.

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

No luck - I will try the photos again later ...

BluesKing777.

I've also been having issues posting photos to this forum from Imgur lately. I don't think it's Imgur since the problem isnt happening on other message boards, just this Gibson message board. 

Have you ever tried a Waterloo WL-k? Seems like it's made for what you do. 

Edited by sbpark

The Martin site has a Custom Shop configurator....hope Gibson get one - hours of fun!

You put in all the specs you want and  you get a nice pic of it and a list of.....parts?

Boing, people keep saying you can pick different necks but it wouldn’t give me any choice. And 2 or 3 guitars I made looked pretty awful.......

The point here is that Martin make all their production guitars with the Modified Low Oval neck and except for a few models like my EC and CEO7, you need to go to the Custom Shop to get a Mod V neck on a guitar you want.

So, a 00 with Mod V......may as well get sinker mahogany back and sides with ancient sitka driftwood top with a dash of Lotto!

BluesKing777.

3 minutes ago, sbpark said:

I've also been having issues posting photos to this forum from Imgur lately. I don't think it's Imgur since the problem isnt happening on other message boards, just this Gibson message board. 

Have you ever tried a Waterloo WL-k? Seems like it's made for what you do. 

We probably have to stand on one foot and have our fingers crossed while posting photos.......😐

I have not tried a Waterloo WL-K but I am lucky to own 2 Waterloo WL-14s, one X braced, one ladder braced...and they are sensational guitars. But I can categorically state that a WL-K has never reached these shores  and we must order through dealer networks of recent times. (Same dealers that only get in dreads...still waiting to try the new LG2s, don’t think they are coming. Only been around for a year!)

BluesKing777.

24 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

We probably have to stand on one foot and have our fingers crossed while posting photos.......😐

I have not tried a Waterloo WL-K but I am lucky to own 2 Waterloo WL-14s, one X braced, one ladder braced...and they are sensational guitars. But I can categorically state that a WL-K has never reached these shores  and we must order through dealer networks of recent times. (Same dealers that only get in dreads...still waiting to try the new LG2s, don’t think they are coming. Only been around for a year!)

BluesKing777.

I've owned two WL-14's, and agree they are great guitars. Also owned an LA Guitar Sales custom OM-15 with the 1 3/4" nut,  but the WL-k is on a completely different level. It's tough to describe, but that guitar almost plays itself. It has a very big sound for such a small guitar despite it being strung with 11's. It's loud, incredibly touch sensitive, and probably one of the most fun guitar's I've played in a long time. 

BTW, looks like your pictures are now visible (great photos, btw). What did you change to get them to show up?!

Edited by sbpark

8 minutes ago, sbpark said:

I've owned two WL-14's, and agree they are great guitars. Also owned an LA Guitar Sales custom OM-15 with the 1 3/4" nut,  but the WL-k is on a completely different level. It's tough to describe, but that guitar almost plays itself. It has a very big sound for such a small guitar despite it being strung with 11's. It's loud, incredibly touch sensitive, and probably one of the most fun guitar's I've played in a long time. 

BTW, looks like your pictures are now visible (great photos, btw). What did you change to get them to show up?!

I put the photos in the Martin forum. I highlighted one, copied and pasted here! X3! But the normal method of pasting the Imgur link is not working on the Gibson forum currently.

I play with medium strings usually, so the WLK is out. I would like an all mahogany 00 one day....Martin, Waterloo, Maton. But for now the Guitar Fund is a bust!

BluesKing777.

Congrats

Those guitars are so f-ing killer. I own a Standard 000-28 and the EC's are next level. I played one and it was to bad I already owned the one I did or I would have an EC model. 

I think the pooch approves.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I put the photos in the Martin forum. I highlighted one, copied and pasted here! X3! But the normal method of pasting the Imgur link is not working on the Gibson forum currently.

I play with medium strings usually, so the WLK is out. I would like an all mahogany 00 one day....Martin, Waterloo, Maton. But for now the Guitar Fund is a bust!

BluesKing777.

You might be pleasantly surprised and that guitar plays and fees like it has heavier gauge strings. Much more touch sensitive, responsive and resonant with a deeper bass than any other small-body guitar I’ve owned with out being muddy. 

Yes, I have ‘bagged a biggie’..... a beauty!

I haven’t even got the Virtuoso polish to it yet.....just dusted with a shaving brush I use and rubbed with a cotton rag. I am surprised, to say the least. I might go wipe my car!

I looked up the model at Sweetwater - you can still buy them new, natural and shadetop, but they have really ‘gone out of fashion’. Probably a lot more options these days but when they came out, there were no other small body acoustics here!

And....I tuned it down and the air went out of it - the action lowered itself over the last few days!

It can stay!

BluesKing777.