Gibson Brands Forums

new Gibson is this ok ?

Hippydude

It does look a bit rushed. The holes for the studs are probably at a slight angle.    It may just be 'cosmetic' (looks bad but doesn't affect playing) but I'd want my studs to have full contact with the top and I'd expect better for the amount of money.

I'd be pissed off.  It might be possible to fix it without too much trouble (but don't try yourself unless you have some woodworking experience and a lot of patience).

Next time you change strings take the bridge and tailpiece off and see if there's any wiggle in those studs. I doubt it, but if so you might be able to seat them properly without having to use tools.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

It does look a bit rushed. The holes for the studs are probably at a slight angle.    It may just be 'cosmetic' (looks bad but doesn't affect playing) but I'd want my studs to have full contact with the top and I'd expect better for the amount of money.

I'd be pissed off.  It might be possible to fix it without too much trouble (but don't try yourself unless you have some woodworking experience and a lot of patience).

Next time you change strings take the bridge and tailpiece off and see if there's any wiggle in those studs. I doubt it, but if so you might be able to seat them properly without having to use tools.

Good luck!

Might send it back , getting a lot of string buzz on the A and D string open strings ,   didnt really want to higher the Bridge .  some of my cheaper guitars have come better set up not sure .

1 hour ago, Hippydude said:

Might send it back , getting a lot of string buzz on the A and D string open strings ,   didnt really want to higher the Bridge .  some of my cheaper guitars have come better set up not sure .

Is the one in question set up or is it out of the box and buzzing?

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nope they didn't, get it set up. 

I think he's right. 

Take it to a good repairman for a set-up pointing out your concerns about the studs.  It will cost a bit but IMO well worth it.  Everything will be sorted out.

20 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I think he's right. 

Take it to a good repairman for a set-up pointing out your concerns about the studs.  It will cost a bit but IMO well worth it.  Everything will be sorted out.

Or the guy will take one look at it and say send it back.

You know Hippydude, you have not once commented on HOW THE GUITAR SOUNDS!

Your cheaper guitars have better set ups. But do they sound as good as the Gibson? 

Why so many members around here worry about such unimportant things is truly a mystery to me.

If it sounds great, then who cares? You can send it back, and yeah, you might get one that has the bridge in a better position for you, but it might also sound like crap!

I believe there are many guitar players that care more about the way their guitar looks, then the way it sounds.

I'm not one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

I believe there are many guitar players that care more about the way their guitar looks, then the way it sounds.

True, but when you pay the kind of money Gibson wants for their stuff they better be damn tight. I expect the same from Martin.

2 hours ago, brad1 said:

You know Hippydude, you have not once commented on HOW THE GUITAR SOUNDS!

Your cheaper guitars have better set ups. But do they sound as good as the Gibson? 

Why so many members around here worry about such unimportant things is truly a mystery to me.

If it sounds great, then who cares? You can send it back, and yeah, you might get one that has the bridge in a better position for you, but it might also sound like crap!

I'm not one of them.

i did test the sound and it sounded better that  my Epip guitars  and felt great that's with a bad setup too ,  but i have nothing else to compare it with or another Gibson ,  I can't visit the Guitar shops or i  would have done that and maybe test a few ,  I don't think there is a definitive answer everyone seems to have different views on this ,  If the guitar wasn't setup so bad then i might have kept it but its really bad,  the string height on the bass side is 3.25mm at the 12 fret  and the A and D strings buzz open  but the bass E is fine which is strange  .  

The bridge is rammed flat against the guitar on the G/B/E side, that's why you've got fret buzz. Loosen the strings and turn the thumbwheel of the bridge to raise it on that side. Then tune to pitch again and give it a try. It will probably take a couple of attempts to get the action where you want it and take all of 10 minutes to do.

Don't send a guitar back for that! Every single guitar I've owned by lots of different manufacturers has needed the action dialling in to my tastes, even my R7.

Edited by sunking101
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, sunking101 said:

The bridge is rammed flat against the guitar on the G/B/E side, that's why you've got fret buzz. Loosen the strings and turn the thumbwheel of the bridge to raise it on that side. Then tune to pitch again and give it a try. It will probably take a couple of attempts to get the action where you want it and take all of 10 minutes to do.

Don't send a guitar back for that! Every single guitar I've owned by lots of different manufacturers has needed the action dialling in to my tastes, even my R7.

i don't know the string height measurement for Gibson guitars  but i have adjusted it to -  Low E 3mm and high  E - 2.50mm and it still buzzing on A  and D  it has reduced a bit but still get buzz , String height seems high now surly it shouldn't be buzzing now .  neck relief is ok 

Edited by Hippydude

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

What model of Gibson Les Paul is it, Hippydude?

Can you post a photo of the front of the guitar, full frontal of the body?

I'm curious about two things. 

🙂

Standard 50s 2019  ,     I like the neck on the 50s feels right to me bit heavy but its what i expected .

wWVzbwT.jpg

7LiWbok.jpg

IsjKX33.jpg

Thanks, Hippydude. 

I was curious about where the intonation sliders were set on the tune-o-matic bridge, but that looks completely normal to me. 

I also wanted to see the two stud-tops for the tune-o-matic, but I really can't make out any detail there. 

One other thing (nothing at all to do with your original concerns) was the hardware for the scratch-plate. 
I like that they put a thick disc of felt padding under the nut/screw-head under there. 
I've never actually seen that done before. 

😀

6 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Thanks, Hippydude. 

I was curious about where the intonation sliders were set on the tune-o-matic bridge, but that looks completely normal to me. 

I also wanted to see the two stud-tops for the tune-o-matic, but I really can't make out any detail there. 

One other thing (nothing at all to do with your original concerns) was the hardware for the scratch-plate. 
I like that they put a thick disc of felt padding under the nut/screw-head under there. 
I've never actually seen that done before. 

😀

Don't know if this helps but this is after i set it up , seems high now  still get buzz   ,   

KkkpIIe.jpg

9hkAyf4.jpg

Without sounding demeaning, have you ever set up a Les Paul before? These are a little different than setting up just your telecaster, a block of wood with a neck on it. They are a bit more involved. String buzz can be pissy, especially this time of year. ( Spring is coming🤗). Take it to a tech and let them get you set up. And then ROCK!!!!! If the tech will allow it watch very carefully it’s kind of a seesaw effect between the bridge and the nut area. It’s hard for me to explain in words I can do it in a short amount of time. You’re good unless there’s some unforeseeable stupid stuff like a twisted neck or something bad. Enjoy the trip!!!!

18 hours ago, Hippydude said:

Had the same issue on my 1950s Standard, but on the high e-string - terrible fret buzz. Only it wasn't actually fret buzz, it was the string saddle sitting too loose in the bridge. In fact, it fell out when I changed the strings. Took it back to the dealer and we tested a whole bunch of new LPs (Gibson and Epi) and about 80% had similar issues on one or more strings. 

The dealer just changed the one saddle with one that fitted snug into the bridge and the "fret buzz" disappeared. 

I would setup neck and action to meet factory specs and then check the saddles. If you can take them out without any resistance, it likely is the issue. 

1 hour ago, Sybo said:

Without sounding demeaning, have you ever set up a Les Paul before? These are a little different than setting up just your telecaster, a block of wood with a neck on it. They are a bit more involved. String buzz can be pissy, especially this time of year. ( Spring is coming🤗). Take it to a tech and let them get you set up. And then ROCK!!!!! If the tech will allow it watch very carefully it’s kind of a seesaw effect between the bridge and the nut area. It’s hard for me to explain in words I can do it in a short amount of time. You’re good unless there’s some unforeseeable stupid stuff like a twisted neck or something bad. Enjoy the trip!!!!

Not setup a Gibson before but have done Epip many times  , The Gibson came with an almost flat neck trust rod didn't feel to tight to begin with i did loose it a bit seems ok now , I don't know the exact string height but i think Low E 3mm and high  E - 2.50mm  is about right ,  Open string  buzz on the A and D sting not as much after setting it up but still there.  Shops coming to collect it tomorrow .

The setup on that guitar is all kinds of messed up. I can tell from the pix.  Either take it to a luthier or send it back.

The studs can probably be set with a mallet without much trouble.  You need a trained person to make all the adjustments work together.  It looks pretty messed up now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hippydude said:

Not setup a Gibson before but have done Epip many times  , The Gibson came with an almost flat neck trust rod didn't feel to tight to begin with i did loose it a bit seems ok now , I don't know the exact string height but i think Low E 3mm and high  E - 2.50mm  is about right ,  Open string  buzz on the A and D sting not as much after setting it up but still there.  Shops coming to collect it tomorrow .

Factory is 2mm in low E and 1.5mm on high e.