Gibson Brands Forums

new Gibson is this ok ?

Hippydude

Honestly it's no wonder Gibson seems to have a hard time honoring their own warranty.  Sell a guitar, buyer takes a bunch of tools to it as they admit freely they have no idea what they are doing. screw it up completely, then send it back and moan bad reviews all over the place.   And today, setting up a Gibson is apparently vastly different from setting up any other guitar.  lolz

rct  

3 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

The setup on that guitar is all kinds of messed up. I can tell from the pix.  Either take it to a luthier or send it back.

The studs can probably be set with a mallet without much trouble.  You need a trained person to make all the adjustments work together.  It looks pretty messed up now.

what looks wrong i might be able to change it ?

1 minute ago, rct said:

Honestly it's no wonder Gibson seems to have a hard time honoring their own warranty.  Sell a guitar, buyer takes a bunch of tools to it as they admit freely they have no idea what they are doing. screw it up completely, then send it back and moan bad reviews all over the place.   And today, setting up a Gibson is apparently vastly different from setting up any other guitar.  lolz

rct  

well maybe if they send out a guitar with a half decent setup then people wouldn't  have to take tools to it 

Just now, Hippydude said:

well maybe if they send out a guitar with a half decent setup then people wouldn't  have to take tools to it 

Nobody makes a guitar that doesn't need a set up when you get it home.  Nobody makes guitars for you.  But they do make freely available figures and numbers and such, and even the order in which things are done, so you aren't flopping around in the dark trying figure out what you can and can not make right based on what "seems" good to you.  Guitars do not work that way.

rct

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rct said:

Nobody makes a guitar that doesn't need a set up when you get it home.  Nobody makes guitars for you.  But they do make freely available figures and numbers and such, and even the order in which things are done, so you aren't flopping around in the dark trying figure out what you can and can not make right based on what "seems" good to you.  Guitars do not work that way.

rct

F’n A man this! We even have internet today with nice videos to explain how, what and why which a lot of us didn’t have for a long time when we started playing. I really not hard to learn how to set a guitar up. Definitely many more things in life that are far more complicated. 

Just now, rct said:

rct

well if anything i have improved it i have setup the guitar up better than it came   to me and there is still buzz ,  It came screwed up so there is nothing lost or gained  the  only tools used is for the trust rod and that is normal to use on guitars  .

9 minutes ago, Hippydude said:

well if anything i have improved it i have setup the guitar up better than it came   to me and there is still buzz ,  It came screwed up so there is nothing lost or gained  the  only tools used is for the trust rod and that is normal to use on guitars  .

Check the saddles - likely the buzz comes from a loose saddle.

4 hours ago, Hippydude said:

Don't know if this helps but this is after i set it up , seems high now  still get buzz   ,   

KkkpIIe.jpg

9hkAyf4.jpg

IMO Bridge is far too high.

1) Adjust pickup heights DOWN so they are flush with pickup covers.

2)  Slacken strings so you can actually take the bridge off.  Then have a good fiddle with the studs.  Unscrew them then screw them fully in. Don't force them.  Replace bridge and strings.

3) Raise tailpiece a bit, decrease break angle slightly.

4)  Tune up, adjust height, intonate.

Good luck - it looks like a lovely guitar which just needs the right adjustments.  I still think a good inspection and set-up by a qualified repairman would sort it out.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jdgm said:

IMO Bridge is far too high.

1) Adjust pickup heights DOWN so they are flush with pickup covers.

2)  Slacken strings so you can actually take the bridge off.  Then have a good fiddle with the studs.  Unscrew them then screw them fully in. Don't force them.  Replace bridge and strings.

3) Raise tailpiece a bit, decrease break angle slightly.

4)  Tune up, adjust height, intonate.

Good luck - it looks like a lovely guitar which just needs the right adjustments.  I still think a good inspection and set-up by a qualified repairman would sort it out.

done all that still buzz must be a problem with the saddle getting an exchange tomorrow so it might be round two lol  hoping it comes better out of the box this time keeping my finger crossed because its the last gold top they have in stock .

19 hours ago, sunking101 said:

Could be neck relief, could be the nut, could be non-level frets, could be a warped neck or it could just be a bad set-up. None of us know without looking at it. Best it goes back for an exchange if the OP if unhappy with it.

Sent it back sadly they have know more in stock seems to be a real shortage of Gibson Guitars in the UK  ,  I also think because of the shortage some shops might be trying to sell some of the guitars they might have had problems with or x demo stock as new, The guitar must have been checked at the shop as the seal on the box was cut and nearly everyone on here noticed how bad it was set up .

Edited by Hippydude

25 minutes ago, Hippydude said:

Sent it back sadly they have know more in stock seems to be a real shortage of Gibson Guitars in the UK  ,  I also think because of the shortage some shops might be trying to sell some of the guitars they might have had problems with or x demo stock as new, The guitar must have been checked at the shop as the seal on the box was cut and nearly everyone on here noticed how bad it was set up .

that's a shame, I'm sure you're disappointed.

Fret Buzz is the one thing that probably makes up for 85% of all returns. 

you don't think the problems could have been mitigated with a "Good" setup? 

The biggest issue was no P90s.  That alone is enough to curse your gold top.

All the rest can be fixed easily enough but back it went.

If it had gone through a couple of hands prior it's unfair to blame Gibson as who knows what people do although I doubt they pulled up that bushing.  A little tap like Badbluesplayer suggested.

10 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The biggest issue was no P90s.  That alone is enough to curse your gold top.

All the rest can be fixed easily enough but back it went.

If it had gone through a couple of hands prior it's unfair to blame Gibson as who knows what people do although I doubt they pulled up that bushing.  A little tap like Badbluesplayer suggested.

It will be for sale at GC next week.

You could always use the Gibson Virtual Guitar Tech: Gibson | Virtual Guitar Tech Service , they'll put you in contact with a tech here in the U.K who'll go through it with you via Zoom.

If that doesn't sort it out, I'd do as Lars suggested and contact Gibson Support, who will ship it out to Holland to repair it for you.  I have been told that when they arrive back the guitar will be perfectly setup and better than new.

Raise your stop bar until the strings are not touching the bridge. That’s part of the problem with your buzzing.  Slamming the stop bar to the body does not help sustain better regardless of what anyone online has said. 

next time you change strings, pull the bridge off and remove the thumbwheel and place the guitar on a solid surface Padding only to protect finish, then with your thumb press down on that bushing. It will probably go a little further into the body than it is. Do not push past the surface of the body.  

This is a minor issue and mainly cosmetic more than anything.  At least the guitar didn’t have the factory but shimmed with construction paper and the same guitar had a factory stripped truss Rod because whoever was in charge of putting those in the guitar had a bad day and cross threaded the nut.  Leaving a total of 1/4 turn travel anything needing more was never discovered until I bought t he instrument. 8 years after the warranty ran out.  A guitar bought online that you haven’t set up yet where just the bridge bushing is not set fully and shows no sign of lacquer damage isn’t an issue. 

13 minutes ago, Bjorn218 said:

Raise your stop bar until the strings are not touching the bridge. That’s part of the problem with your buzzing.  Slamming the stop bar to the body does not help sustain better regardless of what anyone online has said. 

What about tail wrapping people say it does nothing, but pros like Joe B. and Billy G. do it. I have never heard decking your stop bar causes buzz no matter what anyone says.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What about tail wrapping people say it does nothing, but pros like Joe B. and Billy G. do it. I have never heard decking your stop bar causes buzz no matter what anyone says.

Agreed, there's no f'n way that strings touching the back of the bridge cause buzzing... 

• Like 1