Gibson Brands Forums

Ever knowingly pay too much for a guitar?

pawlowski6132

So I'm positing this here in the vintage forum because, I assume it's the old girls that can cloud our judgment.

Today I knowingly overpaid for a guitar.

It's a Gibson 165. While not a vintage, it's something that I had lusted over for a while.

I found one and what appears to be awesome condition. I didn't care. I wanted it. I bought it.

To soften the blow, I justified it by trying to offset my overpayment with a couple other good deals I think I got: I did a lot of buying and selling over Covid.

Overall, my total guitar portfolio balance sheet is strong.

😉

Has anyone ever "lost it"  and just went for it because you just had to have it?

I hope so. I hate to be the only one.

Edited by pawlowski6132

"Overpaying" to me means paying fair market value or more. And yes, I have, on several occasions, just because I really wanted the guitar. Usually, if it isn't a deal, I won't even look at it. Well, maybe I'll at least look at it.

I have never dramatically overpaid--say more than about 10% above fair market value.

Like you, I feel like that has been somewhat offset by getting very good deals on other guitars, whether vintage or modern.

I have only lost money on one vintage re-sale, but that was one I probably overpaid for  in the first place, and then put a fair amount of money into repairs.

I bought my L48 for $220. Asking price was $200, the guy got a ton of emails and phone calls on it but i was first in the door and he respected the deal. I figured if I just gave him an extra $20 like i had counted the cash wrong, he'd think HE was the one getting away with something. Totally worked!

15 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

I bought my L48 for $220. Asking price was $200, the guy got a ton of emails and phone calls on it but i was first in the door and he respected the deal. I figured if I just gave him an extra $20 like i had counted the cash wrong, he'd think HE was the one getting away with something. Totally worked!

I think your missing the point. This is the opposite.

😀

I’ve bought about 100 guitars in the past 10 years. I’ve knowingly overpaid for a few of them because I wanted them. When it was time to move them I did take a loss and usually because of seller fees. But I comfort myself knowing the ones I’ve come out on the plus end.  

4 hours ago, pawlowski6132 said:

I think your missing the point. This is the opposite.

😀

still a good buyer's trick though!

I think the tone of this thread is more "what attributes would you overpay for" and certainly rarity is at the top of the list. If you have your eye on something that doesn't come up all that often, you may pay whatever it costs. Then if that's the only sale of that particular guitar, that's the going rate, so you only paid market rate!

If anyone's seen a 90s epi sorrento in burgandy mist, i'm willing to overpay the market rate 😄