Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird difference

Ok, so im thinking about getting a Hummingbird but im puzzled about these 2 options i found online and mostly about the price tag difference, i couldnt find that much of a difference to justify the difference, or maybe i didnt check correctly. Is the price difference noticeble on the sound? Or is it just aesthetics difference. Anyone know/Have tried them? 

DC70AA50-3CCC-48AB-8FD4-3541212BDCC2.png

The $799 Hummingbird is the "Inspired by Gibson" ...a new model just recently released. The $799 Hummingbird is an all solid wood guitar which is always a better sounding instrument. The $369 Hummingbird Pro model is the same model as always, a good guitar but it is not solid wood..the back and sides are laminated wood, only the top is solid wood on this model. Expect the $799 Inspired by Gibson model to sound much better in tone than the $369 model, the tulip tuners are also a nice touch.  In acoustic guitars you get what you pay for. Both models are very good...but one is better than the other, And as expected, the better sounding Hummingbird guitar..is usually the most expensive Hummingbird guitar. Good luck, let us know which one you chose, and do give us a pic of it if you get it! Best wishes! Hummingbird guitars are just plain dynamite. I own the Gibson Hummingbird verson, the Epiphone Hummingbird Artist all laminate model, and am now considering the $799 Inspired by gibson version when it becomes available. The Hummingbird is my all time favorite guitar in the entire world!

Edited by ALD323
  • Like 3

Omg thank you for the explanation! I never thought about being solid, makes it more interesting and yes , definitely better option than laminated 🙂 i did wanted a Gibson but i already have a J185 and i cannot spend that much money on a new Gibson acoustic. So i was aiming at the Pro but now knowing this i definitely want the Inspired by! 🙂 sure, if i get it (which i probably will in  a couple of months) i will post pictures!

thanks

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, ALD323 said:

The $799 Hummingbird is the "Inspired by Gibson" ...a new model just recently released. The $799 Hummingbird is an all solid wood guitar which is always a better sounding instrument. The $369 Hummingbird Pro model is the same model as always, a good guitar but it is not solid wood..the back and sides are laminated wood, only the top is solid wood on this model. Expect the $799 Inspired by Gibson model to sound much better in tone than the $369 model, the tulip tuners are also a nice touch.  In acoustic guitars you get what you pay for. Both models are very good...but one is better than the other, And as expected, the better sounding Hummingbird guitar..is usually the most expensive Hummingbird guitar. Good luck, let us know which one you chose, and do give us a pic of it if you get it! Best wishes! Hummingbird guitars are just plain dynamite. I own the Gibson Hummingbird verson, the Epiphone Hummingbird Artist all laminate model, and am now considering the $799 Inspired by gibson version when it becomes available. The Hummingbird is my all time favorite guitar in the entire world!

Thanks for your review. Now give your oponion on the Gibson Hummingbird sustainable.  Hope to find one with wanut fret board and bees wax finish. This just appeals to me as a woodworker for 45 yrs. 

Thanks for your review. Now give your oponion on the Gibson Hummingbird sustainable.  Hope to find one with wanut fret board and bees wax finish. This just appeals to me as a woodworker for 45 yrs. 

Tascosa....The gibson hummingbird sustainable is a completely different guitar...with different body shape and completely different body and sides wood.  (Maghaogay vs Walnut) and you will find these two guitars sound very different because of the different woods used and the different body shapes involved. Walnut will sound brighter and snappier than Mahogany,  Mahogany will sound warmer than walnut, and the body shape variations often define tone differences. Both are good, neither is better. But one is preferable..and that would be the one which your ear favors the most! Good luck!

Edited by ALD323

• 4 weeks later...

I have an older Epiphone Hummingbird made in Korea in 1994.   It's the solid top, a nice looking guitar and sound is OK but I've just not played it at all in many years now since I've gotten a few Masterbilt all-solid guitars.  I just ordered a new inspired by Gibson Hummingbird and looking forward to it!

• 2 years later...

I played an Epiphone Hummingbird Studio in a guitar shop and was disappointed that it did not sound as good as my Taylor 110 (which I was thinking of upgrading from). I’ve always loved the look of the hummingbird, but can’t justify the Gibson price at my skill level.  However, I ending up buying an Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird.  It sounds great.  Bigger sound than the Taylor 110,  which honestly was - and still is - a great sounding guitar.  I am very happy with my choice.  A question- how does the IBG Hummingbird sound compared to the actual Gibson? I’ve never played one. How notable is the difference?

Thanks, GC