Gibson Brands Forums

2 Bruce's with J-200's.

Brucebubs

59 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I assume that's a Danny Clinch photo of Bruce, although it's almost in Richard Avedon style.

There are some nice Clinch photos of Springsteen with an old J-45 early in his career.

I'm actually not a huge Bruce fan as such but I just happen to be reading his book and  that's where I found the picture of him with the J-200.

ftHqetom.jpg

It's a good read, he writes well and his hard -work ethic and basically sober habits has left him with a clear memory.

Edited by Brucebubs

15 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Can we expect to see you leaning on your vintage Corvette. . ?

I wish! Bruce writes it's a 1960 model he bought on the spot from a guy running a hot-dog stand. How American cool is that!

Edited by Brucebubs

Here's more information, bought from an ice cream stand attendant for 6 grand by Bruce in 1975 following the success of 'Born To Run'. I was wrong, I thought it was a hot-dog stand.

Photograph taken in 1978. https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/c1-corvette-news/throwback-thursday-bruce-springsteen-and-his-1960-corvette/

Around 1963 when I was twelve years old, there was a dealership on the main drag in Pasadena (yes, of Little Old Lady fame) that specialized in used Corvettes.  They always had a row of them lined up, usually late '50s & early '60s models.  They were all unlocked, and you could sit in them to your heart's content.  I used to sit there quite often & dream about owning one.  Never did happen, but to this day, those pre-Sting Ray Corvettes (four headlight versions) remain my all-time favorite model of car in terms of styling.  Bruce's looks about as drool-worthy as it gets! 

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

Around 1963 when I was twelve years old, there was a dealership on the main drag in Pasadena (yes, of Little Old Lady fame) that specialized in used Corvettes.  They always had a row of them lined up, usually late '50s & early '60s models.  They were all unlocked, and you could sit in them to your heart's content.  I used to sit there quite often & dream about owning one.  Never did happen, but to this day, those pre-Sting Ray Corvettes (four headlight versions) remain my all-time favorite model of car in terms of styling.  Bruce's looks about as drool-worthy as it gets! 

While the only dealership in the town I was living at around that age was a VW, I remember that feeling.  For me it was a dealership in the next town over.  The showroom had a floor to ceiling glass wall.  It was a Jaguar dealership and right there in the front sat a Jag XKE.

2 hours ago, bobouz said:

Never did happen, but to this day, those pre-Sting Ray Corvettes (four headlight versions) remain my all-time favorite model of car in terms of styling.  Bruce's looks about as drool-worthy as it gets! 

Those would be 1958-1962 models. One of my best friends in high school (early 1960's) had what I think was a '59. (Actually belonged to his older brother.)  Turquoise, with white side inserts. Cool, but it was an automatic.

I distinctly remember going to the Chevrolet dealership with my dad to see the first '63 coupe they had. Still love that one.

Those wheels on Bruce's are aftermarket.

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

It IS a very kool shot - wonder about the colour. . 

aUF8Xys.jpg

All that white stuff on the ground is the reason my parents left Jersey and moved to Cali.

Nice ride.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Those would be 1958-1962 models. One of my best friends in high school (early 1960's) had what I think was a '59. (Actually belonged to his older brother.)  Turquoise, with white side inserts. Cool, but it was an automatic.

I distinctly remember going to the Chevrolet dealership with my dad to see the first '63 coupe they had. Still love that one.

Those wheels on Bruce's are aftermarket.

In the mid-1970s, a friend bought a '63 Stringray convertible.   He paid $1500 for it.  Far from showroom condition but it did not take all that much work to get it on the road.  I went another direction and snagged a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger Mark 1 designed by Carol Shelby.  It was a Sunbeam Alpine body (the Maxwell Smart Car) with a Ford V8 in in it.   Paid $500 for it but you also have to remember that in the mid-1970s you could not give away a car with a V8 engine.  It was a big change though from my VW.

7 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Here's more information, bought from an ice cream stand attendant for 6 grand by Bruce in 1975 following the success of 'Born To Run'. I was wrong, I thought it was a hot-dog stand.

Photograph taken in 1978. https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/c1-corvette-news/throwback-thursday-bruce-springsteen-and-his-1960-corvette/

Like my mother always says, "Rich or poor, it's good to have money".

RBSinTo

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All that white stuff on the ground is the reason my parents left Jersey and moved to Cali.

Nice ride.

Jersey?  Cripes man that is kids stuff!  Try Central Mass,  like west of the infamous "Snow Belt"  🙂

9 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Jersey?  Cripes man that is kids stuff!  Try Central Mass,  like west of the infamous "Snow Belt"  🙂

I worked at a shipyard down the street from Harpoon Brewery the year of the big snow a few years back. I hate that white stuff and never want to see it again.

Sorry now back to Bruce.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I worked at a shipyard down the street from Harpoon Brewery the year of the big snow a few years back. I hate that white stuff and never want to see it again.

Sorry now back to Bruce.

the older ya get, the less likely you are to want to see any of it.

so by all means back to "All about Bruce"

I'll pass...

23 hours ago, kidblast said:

the older ya get, the less likely you are to want to see any of it.

so by all means back to "All about Bruce"

I'll pass...

This is a Bruce thread and we hijacked it. We are known rule breakers.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

In the mid-1970s, a friend bought a '63 Stringray convertible.   He paid $1500 for it.  Far from showroom condition but it did not take all that much work to get it on the road.  I went another direction and snagged a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger Mark 1 designed by Carol Shelby.  It was a Sunbeam Alpine body (the Maxwell Smart Car) with a Ford V8 in in it.   Paid $500 for it but you also have to remember that in the mid-1970s you could not give away a car with a V8 engine.  It was a big change though from my VW.

About 30 years ago, a friend of mine had a Tiger with a big freaking Ford V-8 putting out something like 350 hp. My '74 911 produced all of about 170 hp. He would completely blow me off in a straight line, but the weight distribution bias of the Tiger was so off that I could normally stay up with him or beat him on a timed road course, even though I'm not a particularly aggressive driver, having swapped ends on the 911 on several occasions.

We had about a seven mile oceanside road course (Ocean Drive) where I lived in Newport, RI then. It was a lovely narrow road with sharp bends and sweeping curves, and with a decent surface.

Early in the morning it was fairly empty of traffic, and rumor had it that cars would drive quite fast on it from time to time...

I think, if I ever played/won the lottery,  that 'Vette would be The One I'd look for.   Not take it out on slushy, salty roads in Central Mass, where we use to live.  More of those classics probably died of black ice syndrome.   The ones with 427s and 454s tended to not make it to old age -  too fast for the average driver!   My friends brother had a mid-60s one with those coves.  And the local Chevy dealership had them lined up out front.  Different colors - looked like Matchbox toys.  Later, with eyes  bigger than my wallet -  I bought a 15 year old '75 StingRay  for $5K .  I spent that much keeping it running.  No AC in Houston, remove the T-tops in summer and it got much hotter.  The transmission was hot enough to turn the outside of your right leg red if you leaned up against it.  I loved that car:  "Speeding Ticket Red".   That was my Second Childhood... patiently waiting for my 3rd to kick in.  Or, to win the lottery.