Gibson Brands Forums

1992 Les Paul Custom Questions

Hi! This is my first post.  I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask these questions so forgive me if it isn’t.

I have a 92 left handed Les Paul Custom that I was wondering if I could add push/pull pots to split the pickup coils. It’s all stock so I’m assuming it has the 498T and 490R (which I’ve gathered are what they used back then). Are these pickups 2 or 4 wires?

Also, what pots were stock back then? I only ask because I’m looking into ways to brighten up the neck pickup and if they are 300K, maybe one thing to try is 500K. If they are already 500K, does anyone go to 1M? I’m also learning about some other things to try on a mylespaul.com thread.

Finally, I’m assuming it’s modern wiring, right? Not 50’s? Asking that because I’m interested in a treble bleed.

11 hours ago, Joelorigo said:

Hi! This is my first post.  I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask these questions so forgive me if it isn’t.

I have a 92 left handed Les Paul Custom that I was wondering if I could add push/pull pots to split the pickup coils. It’s all stock so I’m assuming it has the 498T and 490R (which I’ve gathered are what they used back then). Are these pickups 2 or 4 wires?

Also, what pots were stock back then? I only ask because I’m looking into ways to brighten up the neck pickup and if they are 300K, maybe one thing to try is 500K. If they are already 500K, does anyone go to 1M? I’m also learning about some other things to try on a mylespaul.com thread.

Finally, I’m assuming it’s modern wiring, right? Not 50’s? Asking that because I’m interested in a treble bleed.

I have a 95 with same pickups,  not 4 wire..

Pots,, Not sure, I think 300...

I'm pretty sure mine is modern wiring.

I opened it up and took a look. Looks like modern wiring as I compare it to a modern vs 50's diagram I found.

And looks like it's a single shielded wire from the pickups connecting to the volume pots, so not splittable, right?

As for the pots, they have this number on them:

440-71079A R13792

I found a coupe of things searching that. Both are suggesting 500K and/or 100K (???).

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/unknown-pot-numbers.78790/

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/potentiometer/description/71079

Wiring copy.jpg