Gibson Brands Forums

Epip pickup wiring

Hippydude

I got a Epiphone   Joe Perry Boneyard Les Paul  it holds Gibson  BB-2 and 3   stock, I found it at car boot over 5 years ago i got it because i like the top on the guitar and didn't know much about the guitar other then it looks cool , I have never liked the neck pickup found it to muddy to use the bridge pick has been good to play mostly rock music  and  some old school  metal ,  i have never really done much with the guitar its been in storage it does  needs a clean down, as you can see first time i opened the wiring case  i have started getting  foil out of the case,   i think it was a shield not sure if its doing anything so i am going to take it all out.    I can solder and my friend  is selling a set of Seymour Duncan APH-2S Slash Alnico II Pro Set R.Zebra he gave them to me to try to see if i like them on this guitar,  Well first off i don't know if to change them but there is know harm in trying them out to see ,   i am new to the wiring systems in guitars i have looked up on the 50s wiring and  i am not sure what the joe perry  is using  but there seems to be more wires around  ,  Well my first Question is should i just drop the pickups in and keep this wiring  or should i change the wiring system?   the Pots seem good there are B500k  on volume ,  and A500k on tone.  Not sure what the caps are or if i should upgrade them ? I guess i am thinking if i am going to put the pickups on i might as well do any upgrade if needed .

rHafiDk.jpg

WWQP6lF.jpg

Believe me when I say I'm not good at electronics, but I'd drop the pickups in and then change the wiring if I felt like trying that. Because, IF I remember correctly, all the soldering you need to do is between the pots. 

That doesn't look like factory wiring to me anyway, and as far as I'm aware epiphone don't shield the cavity, definitely not like that. 

Personally I would do full new harness at the same time, and clean the cavity up.