Gibson Brands Forums

Scotty Moore ES-295 Gold Finish Question

ViperSRT

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased one of the 81 Gibson ES-295 Scotty Moore signature models from 2013 and I had a question about the finish. I have never had a guitar like this and it is quite probably future collectors piece and I just wanted to know if anyone had some cleaning/maintenance tips for this gold/bronze finish?  I know it has a tendency to green over time. Is there a special polish, product, or technique to use? I know I want to avoid rubbing the signature with anything. I don't want the guitar to be a case queen, but I would like to preserve the finish as long as possible. Also should a hollowbody guitar like this be humidified? 

Thank you for reading and have a great day!

Edited by ViperSRT

With the millions of Guitars that exist today it’s impossible to know what the future Collector Guitars will be.  Good Care & normal maintenance are essential for all Guitars..

You’ve got a great Guitar, you should play it & take good care of it but don’t let it own you... Let that Guitar know you own it..

Love it, Dig it & Play the heck out of it in the here & now.  The future will be what the future will be...

Enjoy.....

Edited by Larsongs

I will definitely post pictures when I get it! It is arriving next week. I DO intend to play it, but it is also the most expensive guitar I own and I just want to take the best care of it as I do with all of my guitars. I was just curious if there was anything specific beyond the usual in taking care of the finish to prevent it from greening. If it is just business as usual then I'll be good to go! I always keep my guitars in their cases so direct sunlight won't be an issue. Thank you both for your input and help!

Edited by ViperSRT

I agree. I pride myself in keeping my Guitars in excellent condition. I have trouble keeping my most played Guitars in their Case though.. It seems they close up in the Case & it takes a good amount of time to open up. Sound wise.. 

But, keeping it in the Case will prevent Greening... 

Congrats! I’ve been wanting a Scotty Moore ES295 too.. Awesome Guitars!

Greening may no longer be an issue, given different formulas for both the gold & nitro portions of the finish.  I’ve used Virtuoso Cleaner & Gibson Polish for many years now, and they both do their respective jobs well - they are safe for nitro finishes & can be used with confidence.

Well my friends the guitar finally arrived! It is absolutely beautiful in person! I have nothing like it in my collection! Whoever owned it definitely played it in a smokey bar or something as there was a slight haze to it and pick scuffs, but with some virtuoso polish and wax it looks shiny and ready for action! I was kind of freaked out at first. The guitar shipped without the bridge in place! I have never seen a bridge like this Melita and just kind of put it on and hoped for the best. I'll have to check the intonation when I plug it in later today. I am so proud to own this piece of history! Thank you again for all of your help and  advice!

Forum Size 1.jpg

Forum Size 2.jpg

Forum Size 3.jpg

• Like 1