Gibson Brands Forums

need help with an epiphone "stratocaster" from the 80s-90s

render

so idk much about this model as you can see it wasn't used for years, and now I'm looking for a new electric guitar many people told me that this sounds well compared to nowadays electric guitars in the price range of 300-400$ and I should get it fixed, and some people tell me that I should buy a new one, repairing it would cost me about 250$. 

so I would love to get some help here, even background info and market value of this guitar, thanks.

1.thumb.jpg.c498706d52e0f9d80a21cae615ee0fd5.jpg

That is an Epiphone S-300 from made in 1986 or 1987. In good condition, people are asking, and getting, much more for these than I think they are actually worth as instruments; about $300-400. It's hard to tell from this photo what would need to be repaired on yours aside from a missing knob, but even if you replaced all electronics, you could do it with equivalent or slightly upgraded parts for less than $100.

These are an interesting novelty - and historically Fender-style guitar made by Epiphone - but they are not great guitars. If you want a Stratocaster, Squier's excellent Classic Vibe series is $430; a used model would be well within your budget.

Edited by pohatu771

• 1 month later...

Hello! I have the same question as the previous post.  Would anyone be able to tell me what model this is and what year it was made? Serial number is included.

Back story: This was given to me in 1989 with a broken faceplate and damaged pickups. The faceplace was black with 3 single coils. I couldn't afford to buy another so I made faceplate for a humbucker as that was all I had at the time. I'd like to revert it back to the 11 screw hole black plate with the 3 singles if they're still available. Thanks!

20210413_190954 (4).jpg

20210413_191100 (5).jpg

20210413_191047 (3).jpg

20210413_191119 (2).jpg

36 minutes ago, ProjectCobalt said:

Hello! I have the same question as the previous post.  Would anyone be able to tell me what model this is and what year it was made? Serial number is included.

Back story: This was given to me in 1989 with a broken faceplate and damaged pickups. The faceplace was black with 3 single coils. I couldn't afford to buy another so I made faceplate for a humbucker as that was all I had at the time. I'd like to revert it back to the 11 screw hole black plate with the 3 singles if they're still available. Thanks!

20210413_190954 (4).jpg

It looks like it has the Jackson style headstock that was made in 86 and 87, which would match up with an S-200 that was also made in 86 and 87.  The S-200 came with 2 humbuckers so looks like it may have been modified to have a single pickup. If you were to remove the pickguard it will probably have more cut outs in the body for additional hardware.

7 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

It looks like it has the Jackson style headstock that was made in 86 and 87, which would match up with an S-200 that was also made in 86 and 87.  The S-200 came with 2 humbuckers so looks like it may have been modified to have a single pickup. If you were to remove the pickguard it will probably have more cut outs in the body for additional hardware.

Thank you. This one had the 3 single coils when purchased new (I was there when a friend bought it). The original pickguard and bridge pickup were damaged after something heavy fell on it a few months after purchase. I made the single humbucker pickguard to replace the original sometime after it was given to me. 

6 minutes ago, ProjectCobalt said:

Thank you. This one had the 3 single coils when purchased new (I was there when a friend bought it). The original pickguard and bridge pickup were damaged after something heavy fell on it a few months after purchase. I made the single humbucker pickguard to replace the original sometime after it was given to me. 

With 3 single coil pickups and that headstock would most likely make it an an 86 or 87  S-300 ..

3 minutes ago, ProjectCobalt said:

Nice, thank you. Would you happen to know if the S-300 SSS pickguards are still available?

You should be able to find an asian Strat style that would work or  even a loaded pick guard on eBay..

Guitar Fetish has them loaded or unloaded..

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Pre-Wired-Pickguards_c_25.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, mihcmac said:

You will have the best luck if you don't try US sized Strat parts because Epiphones are asian built and use metric sized parts.

Here's the finished product. The loaded Guitar Fetish plate works like a charm, and it sounds so much better. Thank you again! 

20210425_174115 (3).jpg

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Estos Epiphone son súper mal vistos, pero hay una serie especial de estas guitarras creo que del 94 o 96 que son Límited Edition, mango de maple y cuerpo sólido de Alder, hechos en Korea. En la parte trasera de la paleta está la edición limitada de inscripción. Y la paleta es distinta a la publicada en este foro