Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul maple top is splitting

kargausa

Hey friends, I bought Les Paul Standard in 2016, I always kept my Guitar in temp and humidity controlled environment with my other classic and electric guitars. When I was changing my strings I realized that paint started to crack as line, I assume this is the top layer of the body. I feel super sad. Do you have any idea?  Is that something that I consider as a normal, or should I start worrying about it, and do something, any recommendation. I don't know if there is a factory defect or manufacturing problem with 2016 series. Thank you.

Edited by kargausa

Wouldn't feel bad or worry about this.  It's not a defect, it's just what solid finish Gibsons do.  It shouldn't get much worse so long as you continue to take care of the guitar.  I highly doubt that you'll see finish start chipping off if you are taking care of it like you said.  And something like this wouldn't even be a deal breaker if you ever wanted to sell it.  So rest assured, nothing functionally gonna go wrong because of what you're seeing.  As guitars get older, they are gonna show their age, especially if they are played. 

@NighthawkChrisThanks for the explanation, I feel much better now. I can understand that solid finish on wood surface could cause some issues in time, that's totally normal. I wasn't sure why it was looking like a line of crack, I don't know the exact body layers of Les Pauls. I thought it could be a glue issue between layers. Thanks again.

@kargausa you said you bought the LP in 2016. This guitar wasn’t made in 2016, correct? Just curious when it was built. The serial number should be able to give you an idea when it was made. So if it’s a bit older guitar all the more reason this is how it’s gonna age. Nitrocellulose finishes won’t last forever unfortunately. Just keep it clean with a soft cloth rag and should look good for many years to come. 

• Thanks 1

It looks like what you're seeing is the seam from where the maple cap meets the reset of the body. 

The binding was not contoured to match that seam, some years it wasn't, some years it was.

But it's good to have it looked at if you are at all concerned about it.  Let us know how the story ends.

52 minutes ago, kidblast said:

It looks like what you're seeing is the seam from where the maple cap meets the reset of the body. 

The binding was not contoured to match that seam, some years it wasn't, some years it was.

But it's good to have it looked at if you are at all concerned about it.  Let us know how the story ends.

My 1994 LP Standard has the binding covering the seam in question here. So yes to confirm about some years using thicker binding strip around this cap. 

1 minute ago, NighthawkChris said:

My 1994 LP Standard has the binding covering the seam in question here. So yes to confirm about some years using thicker binding strip around this cap. 

yep  exactly chris.

I have 2 standards,, my 95 yes, my 2002 no.. 

• 2 years later...

Yeah. I've got a 2007 Les Paul Classic "guitar of the week #5". Chevron finish Tom Morgan artwork. Bought brand new. Everything was fine, guitar was kept in a controlled environment along with all of my PERFECT Fenders (never EVER a problem with them. Recently I opened the case and looked at the Les Paul. It almost took my breath away!!! Cracks underneath the poly finish. Running the entire length of the guitar! It started with one bad crack. Then one by one more cracks are appearing. I took photos and sent an email to Gibson claiming a factory defect. I was told it was "grain lines" and quite common. Also that some players are fond of this. I'm 65 years old and been playing since i was 7. I've seen thousands of guitars and I've never seen a train wreck like this. I emailed the rep back and requested that he put me in touch with an adult. What an insult! Why would anyone pay $2499.00 msrp for a guitar like this? Guess that's why F will always come before G. They could at least treat their customers with respect. 

@Apostlerock - I couldn't agree more about the F -vs- G in terms of how tough they are. You can drop a Tele down the stairs and it will play fine. Look at a Gibson wrong and it's repair time. I treat my Gibsons (2018 ES335, 2019 50's LP Standard) like newborn babies. I keep them in their cases in a closet when not in use. My Fenders (Strats and Teles) are out in my shop where I do most of my playing. I leave them out there summer, winter and everything in between, not climate controlled (it's an 850 s.f. garage) and there is never an issue.

Beatiful cracking!  some people pays many dollar for murphy guitar!

It's normal cracking of nitro finish, the wood move with weather, temperature or humidity change.

I had 2 Les Paul 2003 & 2004 with identical finish cracking ...and one crack continues to part of body of one guitar.

PS: when I don't play guitar, all my instruments stays in the case  on wall rack.

Edited by gibsonmad

On 3/10/2021 at 2:11 AM, kargausa said:

Quick update, just talked with Gibson customer service they asked me to send it to them for warranty evaluation. I’m glad they stay behind their products. I’ll update here friends. Thanks for the help again.

I realize the age of this thread but I'd like to know what Gibson said about this.

• Sad 1