Gibson Brands Forums

Curious about price difference between '58 & '59 Gibson Les Paul resissues.

Forsaken

The '58 is $4,999 https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSVXV696/1958-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue/Bourbon-Burst

The '59 is $6,499 https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUS9IM458/1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue/Washed-Cherry-Sunburst

The differences don't seem that great (I'm not very techie though so I may have missed something) just wondering if there was a reason or if it is just because the '59 would be more popular?

Edited by Forsaken

Cos the 59 was the first to bring all of the elements together including a flame top.... And the original 59s are  the most sought after and the ones that sell for loads of money...

Edited by Rabs

1 minute ago, sunking101 said:

It's a replica of the most expensive Les Paul, the 59 burst, so therefore Gibson charge a bomb for it.

However it isn't an actual 59 burst is it....

The guitar is the same as the R7 and R8 apart from the neck carve and flamed maple top. 

No it isnt, but it doesnt cost as much as a real one would.. So I guess it depends on how you look at it...  In the end, Gibson are here to make money, no matter how accurate the replica.... If people buy them, and they do, Gibson will make em....

The really silly ones for me are the Specials and Juniors.. Originally meant to be student level guitars (price wise) and now a 60s replica sells for like 4k..  Bonkers...  A few years back you could actually get a real 60s one for not much more (if you were lucky)... In saying that the used market has gone bonkers the last few years so maybe not any more.

To add, R7s and R8s also have tall skinny frets with baseball bat necks.  R9s have a less fat neck profile and lower, a bit wider frets.  I have an R7 GT, Black Beauty R7, and 2 R9s.  R9s I have found where you can get a nice light weight guitar which I also like a ton.  Don't have an R8, but they are more like an R7 regarding frets and neck profile based on what I've heard/read.  R8s usually have anywhere from a plain top to somewhat flamed top.  But some R8s have some real nice flames that could pass for R9s, so they are out there.  But generally, R8, I'm thinking plain top. 

Price difference...  Gibson says they put the most select woods to things like R9s - lighter, more flames, etc.  Not that other Rs have crap, just that the R9 is like many holy grail guitars and Gibson knows it.  I've found R9s for around $5-$5.5k on Reverb - or Mark's Guitar Loft...  Bought my R9 from him back a while ago.  Great guitars, great prices.  His stock rotates a bit, so keep an eye out.  You shouldn't have to pay ~$6.5k... unless you're going for something like a Murphy, Brazilian RW...  You're gonna pay for that stuff. 

My opinion now - you can't go wrong with a Historic really.  It's really one of those things you can know the specs and compare that way, but you have to put them in your hand to know for sure.  I like the fat R7 necks and if you don't smash your fingers into the guitar when you fret - i.e. have some grace - the taller, skinnier frets don't matter.  I will say that the R9 just has a comfortable feel for any LP you'll ever put in your hand.  They're great guitars and a lot of fun to play.  IMHO, they are the best LP Gibson has to offer.  But again, Historics are all great guitars from my experiences.  They are seem noticeably better crafted than the USA guitars.  And USA Gibsons aren't bad at all, just that the Historics from the Custom Shop are my flavor of Gibson guitar. 

From what I’ve read you won’t go wrong with any of the Historic models but my experience is mostly limited to my R9 so I can’t make statements like that. 

It would be ideal if you could try the guitars out yourself to feel the difference but I ordered mine online and couldn’t be happier. I believe my R9 is the best electric guitar I’ve ever played.