Gibson Brands Forums

Playing mandolin

brad1

11 hours ago, kidblast said:

Brad,, have you decided on a body style yet?  F body  or A body? 

I have an F style washburn, it has a pickup, which works pretty good actually.

20748323_10207842807907640_2262917629994

That's a very nice looking instrument.

Well, I probably would start out on an A style. They are usually cheaper.

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

I went through this phase a few years ago. Bought a couple inexpensive mandolins and got bit by the bug.  Learned a couple favorites like Maggie Mae and Cash On The Barrel Head. Then bought some books and expanded my playlist. Then I added a nicer mandolin. If you're interested, I think I still have the inexpensive ones and would part with them for a modest St. Jude's donation. I would have to check them out first. Here's my favorite book. Here, There, Everywhere sounds like it was made for the mandolin.

41eMeFM8OUL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hey Dave, I might take you up on your offer.  When you have some time, how about sending me a PM with some specifics on the "modest donation". I would love to donate to such a worthy charity, and that might also be what makes me go ahead and get a mandolin. [smile]

We humans (especially us more mature humans) tend to use age as our excuse for not doing a lot of things.  For example, “I would love to learn to play the guitar, but I’m 65 and i’ll be 70 in a few more years.”.......So, how old will you be in a few more years if you don’t learn to play?  Do it while the fire is burning.  Have fun with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brad1 said:

That's a very nice looking instrument.

Well, I probably would start out on an A style. They are usually cheaper.

Hey Brad

yes, that is true  they are a bit more.   I've never played the A style so I can't say why one would be different/better than the other.

anyway, Not sure what you were planning on spending, this is the "kit" that I wound up with.
Washburn Americana M3E-PACK Mandolin Pack | Sweetwater

I had it setup, and definitely it needed some work, as I suspect any of them will.  (same stuff as a new acoustic would.. nut dressing is really important with a mandolin)

Played really good after that was done.  

Good luck with the hunt

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:07 PM, brad1 said:

Yeah it was a 5 stringer. I wanted to do a lot of picking.  I didn't want to just strum. . So I bought some of those metal finger picks. And I just didn't like having them on my fingers.

Of course, that ship has sailed since you've sold the 5 string -  but ...  FWIW, I had the same issue. I hated the picks. Just played without them for years.  A couple of years ago I was sort of where you are now and wanted to focus on something other than the guitar - so I upgraded my banjo, bought some books not available back in the last century and learned (on the internet!)  that you can shape the picks (even the plastic thumb one) and that you do get comfortable with them.  I was encouraged to learn, for example, that some newbies even put the finger picks on backwards!  I was glad I had at least figured that part out!   Miraculously, I got comfortable  after a month or so - and would never go back. 

So - on you mandolin quest -  there will probably be a similar type of learning curve, muscle memory, tactile issue - just keep playing and you'll break through to the other side.   

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, brad1 said:

In recent days I have been thinking about maybe learning how to play the mandolin. I wanted to hear from you all who know how to play, and those who maybe have tried and maybe found it wasn't something they wanted to pursue. In other words, I would like all kinds of opinions. Did you find it a lot harder than playing the guitar?  Did you find it helpful in becoming a better guitar player?  Or was it perhaps distracting? Or not beneficial to your quest in becoming a better guitar player?

I play the drums, guitar, and bass. But I have tried some other instruments that I just did not enjoy playing; and I thought I would. The banjo is one. I bought one. Got books, watched videos, and then, after some time, realized I didn't really like playing the banjo. It just wasn't my thing. Sold the banjo. 

If I did choose to learn, I would probably start out on a cheap model first. I didn't do that with the banjo.

And I would also probably wait later to learn; maybe this Summer, because I have too much going on right now in my life. 

I have to make the decision myself, of course; but what do you guys think? To learn? Or not to learn? That is the question?

Thanks...

Here's my single contribution to Mandolin.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Here's my single contribution to Mandolin.  

Nice.

I used to live in Cali in the Bay Area. I grew up in San Jose, joined the military and got stationed back in Cali for 6 years. While in the service I lived in Fremont, Milpitas, Pleasanton and Santa Rosa. The last two were my favorite places in Cali to live. The Silicon Valley can suk it. I have a soft spot for San Jose cause I grew up there, but everytime I go back it makes me nauseous as to what  that place turned into.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nice.

I used to live in Cali in the Bay Area. I grew up in San Jose, joined the military and got stationed back in Cali. Lived in Fremont, Milpitas, Pleasanton and Santa Rosa. The last two were my favorite places in Cali to live. The Silicon Valley can suk it. I have a soft spot for San Jose cause I grew up there, but everytime I go back it makes me nauseous as to what  that place turned into.

I grew up in Fremont.... but left shortly after I got out of the Army.    I lived in Castro Valley for maybe 12/14 years before moving to Danville for the last 26 years.

Just now, DanvillRob said:

I grew up in Fremont.... but left shortly after I got out of the Army.    I lived in Castro Valley for maybe 12/14 years before moving to Danville for the last 26 years.

Man I was so sad when I heard El Burro closed down. I uses to love their Enchilada Suiza's. Falafel Drive In is still in SJ. Went there a few years back. It still rocks and the same people have owned it since I started going there in the mid 80's.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man I was so sad when I heard El Burro closed down. I uses to love their Enchilada Suiza's. Falafel Drive In is still in SJ. Went there a few years back. It still rocks and the same people have owned it since I started going there in the mid 80's.

I left Fremont in 1971..... I don't recall Ell Burro.... we used to frequent La Fuente.

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I left Fremont in 1971..... I don't recall Ell Burro.... we used to frequent La Fuente.

The was one in Newark and one in Campbell. Not sure when they opened, but I used to go there in the 80's and 90's. I think they closed a few years back. It was some of the best Mexican food  except of course for when I was Mexico.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up mandolin very early in the pandemic lock down. It has been a really fun ride. I don't know that it has made me a better guitar player. Probably not, as I don't play as often because I spend more time playing Mandolin. I have developed a much greater appreciation for blue grass along the way.

I started with a 1959 Gibson EM-150. It's an A style with classic burst. It has a dog ear P-90. It sounds great acoustically, but really screams electrically. Having been through the purchase cycle of ever increasing guitar prices as I outgrew instruments, I decided to skip that step and get a decent player right from the start. A quality instrument makes all the difference when it comes to practice and maintained enthusiasm.

I'm now considering purchasing a new F style mandolin. Gibson is still the gold standard, but a standard F-5 Fern will set you back just shy of $10k. It makes their guitar prices look down right affordable. 

7 hours ago, zombiewuff said:

I picked up mandolin very early in the pandemic lock down. It has been a really fun ride. I don't know that it has made me a better guitar player. Probably not, as I don't play as often because I spend more time playing Mandolin. I have developed a much greater appreciation for blue grass along the way.

I started with a 1959 Gibson EM-150. It's an A style with classic burst. It has a dog ear P-90. It sounds great acoustically, but really screams electrically. Having been through the purchase cycle of ever increasing guitar prices as I outgrew instruments, I decided to skip that step and get a decent player right from the start. A quality instrument makes all the difference when it comes to practice and maintained enthusiasm.

I'm now considering purchasing a new F style mandolin. Gibson is still the gold standard, but a standard F-5 Fern will set you back just shy of $10k. It makes their guitar prices look down right affordable. 

Yep I sometimes find myself wanting to play the mandolin more than my guitars too.  It really is fun to play. So glad I decided to start playing one.  

8 hours ago, zombiewuff said:

They are nice

F5

But if I could only have instruments based on my skills I would only have a plastic ukulele. Wait a minute, I do have a plastic ukulele

F5

Edited by Dave F