Gibson Brands Forums

QC Issue with new J45?

jeffroel

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah but regardless if Gibson did it or the store it came from. I'm sending it back. You might not.

Would any of you take possession of a brand new car with the front fender dented? Or accept a pair of pants you bought on Amazon with the a-ss ripped out? I'll bet the answer is NO, so why would anyone accept that on a new guitar regardless of it was the builders fault or the store it came from?

Key words here are “brand new”, & I agree with you completely! My answer is, no I would not. I have bought used guitars that sound, & play incredible.  Some of them have dings here or there, but, I knew what I was getting. I expect brand new to be just that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Don't recommend any special type, style or design of review. If I should suggest anything it would be that the owner of the then 2 slopes uses his own words to describe his subjective experience of the variations - sonically, feel-wise and regarding appearance . They may differ or they may not - all possibilities are realistic, , , and exciting. It can be a challenge to get things like that down on paper, but there should be a lot of inspiration to be found on these pages. Perhaps not be needed at all.   

No two of anything are the same.  You roll the dice when you hit buy site unseen and hope you get a good one when the box shows up. Two hot chicks are both hot, but will probably both  be different, much like good guitars I would play both including the with chicks. 

It seems like some are eager to defend this company to the death no matter what flaws they have and no matter where the flaws came from. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul14 said:

Key words here are “brand new”, & I agree with you completely! My answer is, no I would not. I have bought used guitars that sound, & play incredible.  Some of them have dings here or there, but, I knew what I was getting. I expect brand new to be just that.

Exactly with a used guitar and if you have half a brain know you may get one with a few love taps. On something NEW it is unacceptable no matter where the damage came from (builder, shipper or the retailer). That is the point I have been trying to drive home, but I get sh-hit on every time I try to reason with some of the members here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Exactly with a used guitar and if you have half a brain know you may get one with a few love taps. On something NEW it is unacceptable no matter where the damage came from (builder, shipper or the retailer). That is the point I have been trying to drive home, but I get sh-hit on every time I try to reason with some of the members here.

Some are coming very close to saying you can get a really good guitar that looks like crap, or a really good looking one that sounds like crap. Like that’s your choice?? I’m curious now . Just how many lemons are being made? I think, not very many.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Some are coming very close to saying you can get a really good guitar that looks like crap, or a really good looking one that sounds like crap. Like that’s your choice?? I’m curious now . Just how many lemons are being made? I think, not very many.

Exactly. A new car can be a POS just as a new guitar can no matter who makes it even from Martin. I'm not an ignorant fool. I've owned and bought a guitar or 40 in my life time both new and used. I've bought them after they have been in my hands and also just from pics off the website. The think to remember is make sure there is a return policy and your good to go if you get a lemon.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Exactly. A new car can be a POS just as a new guitar can no matter who makes it even from Martin. I'm not an ignorant fool. I've owned and bought a guitar or 40 in my life time both new and used. I've bought them after they have been in my hands and also just from pics off the website. The think to remember is make sure there is a return policy and your good to go if you get a lemon.

The nearest store where I can actually play a decent guitar is over a hundred miles away. I always buy, online. Not only guitars but most other things as well. Have I been burned? Yes, but everything has worked out fine for the most part. The good outnumber the bad, by far.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 8:51 PM, jeffroel said:

Hi everyone,

I'm currently talking with the dealer to see what can be done. Right now I'm inclined to return it and get a new one (or at least see if the dealer is willing to make some adjustment on the price of the guitar). As I said, I'm not usually picky and I can get some lacquer imperfections, uneven bindings and that kind of stuff that comes from the work made by hand. This on the other hand seems like an issue with the rosewood of the board that has been masked with some filler (something I would be ok if it was a second hand guitar, but not on a new one)

Some more pics where you can see it's the rosewood filled.

S79sHtm.jpg

C1n5osQ.jpg

Looks like my Telecaster after the sax player knocked the drummer’s cymbal and stand over and cut a hole in the neck!

Up close, that new photo looks like the fretboard is laminated or something and when bumped or hit a section of lamination has broken off.....

Send it back, they are not a rare guitar. Could be an honest mistake but who knows? 

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Looks like my Telecaster after the sax player knocked the drummer’s cymbal and stand over and cut a hole in the neck!

Up close, that new photo looks like the fretboard is laminated or something and when bumped or hit a section of lamination has broken off.....

Send it back, they are not a rare guitar. Could be an honest mistake but who knows? 

BluesKing777.

If your referring to the OPs    , if Im not mistakin , most of these are as was the sales pitch back a few years ago. Laminated boards.  
 Just like the Richlite when Taylor hoarded the ebony  , then bought the mill and the rights to the product. 

on the OPs picture it looks like a epoxy or resin air pocket that let go.  

I dont know if Gibson is listing these as solid or laminated. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Looking at the reflection on the neck, it looks like it was hit, nicked the edge and bulged the wood a little.

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 9.34.50 PM

Its all possible. Its a weird looking mark.  
If I was the OP. And liked the sound a playability.    I would just get a luthier to fill the area and enjoy it.  

• Sad 1

Hi everyone, 

just a follow up. I've returned the guitar to the dealer and I'm waiting for their response, but I'm fully expecting to exchange it for a new one.

Although the guitar plays and sound great, I'm not a believer that it's the only good one, so I'll take my chances

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jeffroel said:

Hi everyone, 

just a follow up. I've returned the guitar to the dealer and I'm waiting for their response, but I'm fully expecting to exchange it for a new one.

Although the guitar plays and sound great, I'm not a believer that it's the only good one, so I'll take my chances

Good move. You are correct. You will find another J-45 that sounds just as good without the defect mark. Remember that the next J-45 will be stiff and not warmed up, and may take a while to vibrate as good as the old one, but it will come around. My guess is that you will get lucky this time and find a J-45 that sounds even better than the one you have once you have played it in for for a few weeks. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:41 PM, Dave F said:

Looking at the reflection on the neck, it looks like it was hit, nicked the edge and bulged the wood a little.

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 9.34.50 PM

It looks infected. 

Smart move on the OP's part to return it for a new one.  Who ever damaged it knew it was going to a customer like that. I seriously doubt it happened during shipping in a case.

Like I said it will be for sale at GC next week  and all of you that were in the "I would keep it" camp, put your money where your mouth is and if you don't have one and want one, buy that one. Just ask the OP what store he got it from and ask for that specific one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Your comment brings up an interesting point: what happens to a guitar like this one which is returned and is not pristine, and in fact has sustained damage?

RBSinTo

Generally, they head to Australia with the special no warranty, no return deal! 😁

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Your comment brings up an interesting point: what happens to a guitar like this one which is returned and is not pristine, and in fact has sustained damage?

RBSinTo

It goes to Guitar Center and they pawn it off on some schmuck or Australia.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

But seriously I'll bet it gets re-sold hopefully with a disclaimer about the damage and at a discounted price so the buyer can decide if they want a used guitar with a defect. If so it would have no warranty cause the buyer would not be the original owner.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Like I said it will be for sale at GC next week  and all of you that were in the "I would keep it" camp, put your money where your mouth is and if you don't have one and want one, buy that one. Just ask the OP what store he got it from and ask for that specific one.

Not understanding your need to once again issue a snarky response.  We all get it - this obviously isn’t rocket science, but each guitar still needs to be considered on it’s own merits.  If I walked into that GC and the guitar in question was stellar & I wanted it based on my individual criteria, I’d be negotiating the price down given the flaw.  It’s essentially a floor model with slight damage & I imagine a fair number of folks would take that approach - if they wanted that particular instrument.

We don't know who the seller was or even it they noticed the flaw - apparently even the OP didn’t notice it until later.  Now that everyone’s on the same page, they’re working it out & hopefully to the satisfaction of all.

It clearly seems to bug the heck out of you that Gibson fanboys like me don’t jump on the “What a piece of crap!” bandwagon & first look at all the alternatives.  Try to  get over it because that’s pretty much how people respond on any brand-specific forum.  Wish I had a buck for every possible reason given over on UMGF for the neck-reset & popped-binding posts that occur on a very regular basis in the tech-info section.  Most recently, the owner of a recent D-28 1937-Authentic posted that his binding was separating from the body, and he’d emailed Martin three times with no response.  The poster went on to question Martin’s quality, lifetime warranty, & customer service.  They’ve now seen so much of this on UMGF, that two people replied seemingly with a shrug that “it must be due to covid.”

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, bobouz said:

Not understanding your need to once again issue a snarky response.  We all get it - this obviously isn’t rocket science, but each guitar still needs to be considered on it’s own merits.  If I walked into that GC and the guitar in question was stellar & I wanted it based on my individual criteria, I’d be negotiating the price down given the flaw.  It’s essentially a floor model with slight damage & I imagine a fair number of folks would take that approach - if they wanted that particular instrument.

We don't know who the seller was or even it they noticed the flaw - apparently even the OP didn’t notice it until later.  Now that everyone’s on the same page, they’re working it out & hopefully to the satisfaction of all.

It clearly seems to bug the heck out of you that Gibson fanboys like me don’t jump on the “What a piece of crap!” bandwagon & first look at all the alternatives.  Try to  get over it because that’s pretty much how people respond on any brand-specific forum.  Wish I had a buck for every possible reason given over on UMGF for the neck-reset & popped-binding posts that occur on a very regular basis in the tech-info section.  Most recently, the owner of a recent D-28 1937-Authentic posted that his binding was separating from the body, and he’d emailed Martin three times with no response.  The poster went on to question Martin’s quality, lifetime warranty, & customer service.  They’ve now seen so much of this on UMGF, that two people replied seemingly with a shrug that “it must be due to covid.”

It just seems weird to me that someone would keep something that they received that is obviously damaged no matter if Gibson did it or the shipper or the store it came from. No its not a piece of crap. Its a new guitar that arrived damaged. DAMAGED.  In my earlier statement  I stated would any of you accept any product from any company that arrives damaged and if the answer is no, then why would accept that on a $2700 NEW guitar?  I'm not dumpling on Gibson. I am trying to understand the whole "I got damaged goods and I would keep it" logic. It boggles my mind.

Point out which of my posts in this thread I call the guitar a piece of crap. None cause I didn't.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Point out which of my posts in this thread I call the guitar a piece of crap. None cause I didn't.

That was just a generalization, but you did seem pretty darn upset in your initial post.  As for keeping a slightly damaged new guitar - again, I’d be after some form of compensation for sure.  But I absolutely can & have seen scenarios where I want THAT guitar, so then you set about trying to finalize a deal that works for everyone.

Hopefully for the OP, his replacement guitar will be as good or better than the first one. If nothing else, he’ll have gained an additional reference point regarding J-45s.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bobouz said:

That was just a generalization, but you did seem pretty darn upset in your initial post.  As for keeping a slightly damaged new guitar - again, I’d be after some form of compensation for sure.  But I absolutely can & have seen scenarios where I want THAT guitar, so then you set about trying to finalize a deal that works for everyone.

Hopefully for the OP, his replacement guitar will be as good or better than the first one. If nothing else, he’ll have gained an additional reference point regarding J-45s.

Don't waste your time arguing with this guy. He's just here to complain and agitate people and he's always gotta have the last word. Yo can't win. He's apparently always right and knows way better than you or me on anything. I'm still waiting for him to start complaining again about why there isn't more Martin content on a Gibson forum. 

Edited by sbpark
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is the thing. If that was a post of a NDG and it was a Martin or Taylor or any other brand but Gibson you fan boys would be dumping all over it like you just ate a sheet pan of brownie's laced with laxatives, but since its  Gibson its okay and you would keep it and just rub some snake oil on it and its fine. Call a t-urd a t-urd  and own up that no one makes perfect guitars no matter what name is on the head stock. It s a $2700 guitar that make it through QC that probably shouldn't.  Remember Only A Gibson Is Good Enough. Dump on me or ban me I could care less. I'm tired of the BS double standard . Does Martin have issues of course they do humans make guitars not gods. 

You've always been a horse's ***. So this post isn't very surprising.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, jibberish said:

You've always been a horse's ***. So this post isn't very surprising.

My whole point is why would you accept and praise anything that your bought with your hard earned money that is NEW and you received damaged?  Just because its your brand?  It happened at the  place it was built, the store that shipped it, the company that shipped it or the owner did it. That is all there is and their ain't no more. I seriously doubt the new owner did it. If my NEW Martin came to me like that, back it would go. I wouldn't need to ask a bunch of guys on a forum should I keep it or not. If the fact that it sound good to the new owner out weighs its damaged that is his decision to make. 

You guys need to look at logic and reason and forget about me for a second and take a look at what happened. No It may not have happened at the plant, but its obvious it happened. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1