Gibson Brands Forums

New Murphy Lab Models

Rabs

So apparently now its not actually done by Mr Murphy but his assistants... And yet the R9 is over 10k  😮      

Imigur is playing up so you can see the full line up here  Gibson | The Gibson Murphy Lab Collection

Lets see why the R9 is so expensive shall we

The Holy Grail

Gibson Custom Shop's 1959 Les Paul™ Standard Reissue is not just a tribute to the priceless original models -- it's a clone of them. From laser-scanned dimensions to chemically-recreated plastics to color-matched shades of sunburst, every element has been rendered in unbelievable detail. It represents the culmination of decades of work by Custom Shop's expert team -- a tireless quest to bring accuracy and authenticity to the hands of fans. It’s the definition of cool, and it's the best representation of the 1959 Les Paul Standard since the Gibson Custom Shop began making Historic Reissues over twenty-five years ago. It features Ultra Heavy Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab. The Murphy Lab Ultra Heavy Aged finish treatment, paired with heavily aged hardware, simulates decades of heavy play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.

Hmm.. Havent we seen all this before?? Nothing new here [-(

15 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Ugh.  

You can keep that fake beat up stuff for your fake rock star life.

Yeah I don’t get the whole paying (a lot) extra for beat up guitars. I’ve spent some dough on some reissues and don’t regret it one bit, but they aren’t relics. Also paid used prices too where I got “better” prices. As far as Gibson going all in on selling more relics for $7k and north of that, not too sure about that... 

Edited by NighthawkChris
Not $7... $7k!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I beat guitars up for free. Message me and I'll send you my address and of course you pay shipping both ways and I'll trash your new guitar for you for nothing. I do it all from light play wear to, dragged it behind a car for a mile, to the Full Monty of the Pete Townshend experience, of this guitars life is over relic-ing. Results may vary.

On the clip it says 09/03/2021. How did that guy go to the future and get a guitar and bring it back to today and make a video. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I beat guitars up for free. Message me and I'll send you my address and of course you pay shipping both ways and I'll trash your new guitar for you for nothing. I do it all from light play wear to, dragged it behind a car for a mile, to the Full Monty of the Pete Townshend experience of  this guitars life is over relic-ing. Results may vary.

On the clip it says 09/03/2021. How did that guy go to the future and get a guitar and bring it back to today and make a video. 

Do you do lefties, too?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

in the UK, the date formats are different.. 

Day/Month/Year

• Haha 1

Give me metric hardware any day of the week,

I hated working on Hardley Abelsons, I had to buy a whole new set of tools and try to guess what size that stuff was.

Errr,  big?

The older British bikes, of course, would throw in a couple of different types of hardware just because that's what they did.

It's enough to make you want to drag a Les Paul down the sidewalk in a downpour and then sell it at a premium.  

Edited by SteveFord

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Give me metric hardware any day of the week,

I hated working on Hardley Abelsons, I had to buy a whole new set of tools and try to guess what size that stuff was.

Errr,  big?

The older British bikes, of course, would throw in a couple of different types of hardware just because that's what they did.

It's enough to make you want to drag a Les Paul down the sidewalk in a downpour and then sell it at a premium.  

The Coast Guard Patrol Boat I was stationed on was designed by the British and the engines were made by Paxman-Valenta. It was metric. I also worked on German engines the Coast Guard used made by MTU. All our gauge readings were in bars. 1 bar is about 14.5 psi if I remember correctly.

PSI, please, for the tires.

After a decade of Moto Guzzis I can look at a bolt and go 6x1.0 45mm shank, you'll  need a 5mm Allen socket or 10mm if it's a hex head, 4mm Allen if it's button or countersunk.

I never spent much time with Standard hardware so have to cheat and measure.

I'm happy to say my bikes are now all Metric so that makes the mechanic (me) happy.

Edited by SteveFord