Gibson Brands Forums

New neck strap pin positioning on the heel cap of 2021 Gibson acoustics?

DMackin

Hi,

Has anyone recently purchased a 2021 stamped Gibson acoustic and noticed the 2nd strap pin positioning has been moved to the heel cap?

I was enquiring about a new 2021 stamped Gibson J-15 yesterday, and the music store sent me some photos. This is where I noticed the new positioning of the neck strap button. Personally I prefer the previous positioning on the treble side of the heel. I have attached a photo. The serial number of this J-15 in Walnut Burst has been confirmed by Gibson USA as a January 2021 model, but they couldn't give me any other details, especially seeing as I was under the impression that the J-15 had been discontinued.

IMG_8463.jpg

IMG_8469.jpg

IMG_8470.jpg

Edited by DMackin
PHOTOS WERE IN THE WAY OF THE TEXT.

Hey - not sure what you mean by 'stamped'. As far as I know Gibson doesn't put strap buttons on their new guitars and it's up to individual players to pick his/her place.                                    I too prefer the treble side of the heel (known as position 5), but the little zone at the end of the heel is not uncommon at all. Have the feeling it was used more often earlier. 

Someone chose #1 for my 1963 SJ. Direct in the neck-block.  NSX0zUV.jpgI live with it. 

Edited by E-minor7

Leave it to Gibson to have head scratching things.   As it is, strap buttons are installed in various places on many different guitars  if one considers many guitars in Gibson's history do not have factory installed strap buttons and owners or luthiers would put them in a  few different locations.   Or, not install them.   IMHO where or if the strap button is installed is of no significance as long as it works as it should and there is no damage to the guitar from it.  

As it is, also, this would not be the first time that a Gibson serial number doesn't match to a catalog (or internet) model listing.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Strap buttons are a matter of personal taste. Sticking them on the heel cap is dumb because the guitar tends to pitch forward.

On Gibsons, I prefer position 4, smack-dab in the middle of that nice, rounded heel. That said, over the past  few years, I've moved to "choker" straps that fix around the headstock.

Edited by dhanners623

I've seen this on some other examples of new Gibson acoustics. 

In my opinion, that's just a stupid idea, a poor location for a strap button.  I agree with Eminor7, if installed it should go on the treble side of the neck heel, more or less at location #5.

Fred

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hey - not sure what you mean by 'stamped'. As far as I know Gibson doesn't put strap buttons on their new guitars and it's up to individual players to pick his/her place.                                    I too prefer the treble side of the heel (known as position 5), but the little zone at the end of the heel is not uncommon at all. Have the feeling it was used more often earlier. 

Someone chose #1 for my 1963 SJ. Direct in the neck-block.  NSX0zUV.jpgI live with it. 

Actually.  Gibson is putting heal strap buttons on some of the 2021 models. Seen about a dozen so far.  From the waxed versions into the J45s. I did notice a couple J200s as well.  There all in spot number 5 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-1854Me said:

I've seen this on some other examples of new Gibson acoustics. 

In my opinion, that's just a stupid idea, a poor location for a strap button.  I agree with Eminor7, if installed it should go on the treble side of the neck heel, more or less at location #5.

Fred

Agree. The heel  takes the stress. 

21 hours ago, slimt said:

Actually.  Gibson is putting heal strap buttons on some of the 2021 models. Seen about a dozen so far.  From the waxed versions into the J45s. I did notice a couple J200s as well.  There all in spot number 5 

23 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I think Gibson has been putting them on for a while now.  I bought an SJ200 in  2019 that was built in 2018 and also a Hummingbird built in 2020 and they both had strap buttons installed in position 5.

Just checked. About half of the acoustics on their site have the button. Quite a decision - unusual step. 

Neither my 1974 D-28, nor my 2001 j-45 Standard (both purchased used) came with neck strap pins.

Even though I always play sitting down, I prefer to hold the guitars quite high and needed to use them with neck straps.

So I had strap pins installed on both by Luthiers, and in each case they suggested that the pins be put at the number five position, and relying on their expertise I agreed.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

Yes, Gibson has been installing them recently in position #5 on new acoustics.  I prefer to not have one on there at all, but on a Gibson or Guild’s flat wide heel, position #4 would be the one I’d go with.

I agree.  My preference is position #4.    But, I guess they all work.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

On 3/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, RBSinTo said:

Neither my 1974 D-28, nor my 2001 j-45 Standard (both purchased used) came with neck strap pins.

Even though I always play sitting down, I prefer to hold the guitars quite high and needed to use them with neck straps.

So I had strap pins installed on both by Luthiers, and in each case they suggested that the pins be put at the number five position, and relying on their expertise I agreed.

RBSinTo

As a Martin owner I will go to bed tonight crying a little after reading this. As said by Marlon Brando in Apocalypses Now "The Horror".

Chief,

Sorry if my actions disturbed your beauty sleep.

I wouldn't have resorted to strap buttons except that my supply of Di-Lithium crystals to power my Anti-Gravity Device had run out, and the Quartermaster at Area 51 kept putting me on hold.

Duct taping the guitar to my chest wasn't working either, so what else could I do?

RBSinTo

Here's an alternative: Dynarette guitar knee support cushion.  I would not drill a hole in a neck heel, but that's just me. I use the headstock strap to attach the actual strap to so I have the guitar securely positioned while sitting.    Bobouz mentions locating the pin on the flat part of the heel.  I'd think that would be critical. Otherwise the flat surface of the pin where it met a rounded surface on the heel would result in a less than perfect union.    Disappointed to hear Bozeman is putting pins on their guitars now.  

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/41432-dynarette-cushion-guitar-support-experiences.html

Another reason for using a strap rather than a knee cushion is that I can be totally hands free as necessary without having to worry about dropping the guitar. 

And if at some time in the future when someone has a chance to acquire a well kept, beautifully-sounding 50-odd year old D-28, they are deterred by the strap button in the heel, well, that's their problem, not mine.  

RBSinTo

52 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

If that apple hadn't fallen on Isaac Newton's head, he wouldn't have "discovered" gravity, and we wouldn't be having these problems.

He probably didn't even play a guitar.

RBSinTo

Was that apple the first thing in his life he ever saw fall to the ground. He surely must have dropped something out of his hand during his lifetime.

I think Newton was one of those bass players.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Was that apple the first thing in his life he ever saw fall to the ground. He surely must have dropped something out of his hand during his lifetime.

I think Newton was one of those bass players.

Chief,

I'm sure Newton dropped one or two things before the business with the apple, but sometimes things just all come together to bring about an Eureka moment like this one. 

And I had no idea his middle name was Shirley. 

RBSinTo