Gibson Brands Forums

LG O Circa?

Phili

I picked up a fine specimen recently, posted as a 1959, BUT, it arrived with a plastic bridge (original) and serial number appears to be 106973.

The bridge is warped and this was not revealed in the REVERB sale post, but my larger concern is that my investigations reveal the plastic bridge was used for a short period only in the early 60's but NOT in 1959.  

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

thanks in advance, phili

The plastic bridge was used between 1962 and 1966, and it seems unlikely that someone would install one if it didn't come from the factory that way. That serial number would make it an early 70s model, which also seems incorrect.

I found one listed as a 1959 that recently sold on Reverb, which I assume is the one you bought. From the images, it's definitely a 1962-1966. I can't make out the serial number on the headstock to confirm.

[EDIT} I think the serial number is 106073 or -8, which would be correct for 1963.

Edited by pohatu771

Thank you! I am now in the midst of either expecting a full refund, or substantial reduction in price from the seller.  I bought through REVERB, so it's nice to have them as an adjudicator should things go sideways.  I think it may have been an innocent mistake, but the value (to me, as '59 is my birthyear) is not commensurate to the agreed price.

It's a tough position. Ignoring the importance of 1959 to you, a 1964 is a second-tier option for the LG-0. You have the disadvantage of a plastic bridge, but no apparent warping that they often cause, but still have the wider nut of a pre-1965 model.

A fair price is probably about $700 for that year with that headstock break, but the value on these has gone up quite a bit over the past year.