Gibson Brands Forums

Well here's a package you don't get every day...

rct

25 minutes ago, bigtim said:

I believe I have one of those jb 59 tele bridges myself and it reads about the same ohm resistance. But mine was only 30 bucks off of Craigslist 🙄

Yeah, I have Little 59s in the rest of the Tele bridges.  It's a number, it means something, but often, sometimes, doesn't mean what it's size implies, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

DC resistance of the coil is not related to the strength of the magnet 

Thanks for that.  I hate getting into pickup physics on the internet.  It almost always results in absolute silence or outright animosity.

That number, DC resistance, is just a convenient way to almost ballpark compare nearly just about two pickups that are not at all the sum of their DC resistance.  Sure, a high number, but how much is lost to output by just being the bucker part, how much is lost to output just crossing two coils, all that stuff, it all means something in total and that DC resistance number becomes just that, a number.  It can vaguely be used to call this one "hotter" than that one, but not always.

rct

• Thanks 1

These pickups:

Black-Red-Devils-1.jpg

Black-Red-Devils-2.jpg

are Billy Gibbons Red Devils.  No, I'm not a Gibbons fanboy by any stretch, barely a fan.  I've done Tush and La Grange and Thunderbird and occasionally Rough Boy since they all came out, but other than that I can take them or leave them.  I am, however, a fan of good pickups, and if it takes his name on them to get good ones well that's fine with me.  Here's from their page:

image.png.623c47b312b65cfb27c927d0b149004a.png

For Strat pickups, that's pretty "hot", right?  Compared to the usual 6k - 8k somewhere in there for singles, 8k - 10k for Stacks and Little 59's.  Muddy?  No friggin way.  HUGE.  ENORMOUS. MASSIVE.  That's what they sound like.  Massive round cleans and just gigantic overdrives.  That strat is the only strat in 50 years of playing now that I can solo on all three pickups gleefully, the middle has zero honk, it sounds just like it should between that neck and that bridge.  Junky Fender packaged CTS split shaft 250k T/V pots.  It is way more than just the number, it's whatever mumbo jumbo goes into making a set of pickups as a whole that matters, not just that number.  

rct

• Like 1

@rct looks cool man and glad you got a Strat you’ve been missing for quite some time! I think Strats are one of the best guitars of all time because there’s quite a few different things you can do to them to change them up - a lot more than a Les Paul it seems. Either way man, hope you get everything you hope for out of that git right there. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 1:21 AM, rct said:

No, I do not use a BBE Sonic Stomp.  Should I?

rct

:-k

There was a thread where someone mentioned that or a Sonic Maximiser, or something, a few months back.  It was a red box anyway and I thought you.....?  Oh well never mind. 

Do you still have an EJ Strat?

Edited by jdgm