Gibson Brands Forums

a sad tale and some detective work?

bigneil

Here is my Les Paul.

My father gave it too me.#-o/ 6010807350a10430131501o.jpg

We hardly know each other, i came from a broken home.

he is getting old now and is a recovering alcoholic. we have been in touch over the last year since he stopped drink. last week he finally got out of the church run halfway house and into his own place. i went to visit him, and fix up his new place, and, remembering that he was a really good guitar player, i also brought through my electric guitar. He had hit the bottle when i got there so i stayed and helped him through the D.Ts. We Played guitar a bit and he then stopped and asked me to fetch out the guitar case from the cupboard. It was the Les Paul.

we played her, then he confided in me that he has been diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritis. and could not play so good any more. then saying that he had owned and played many les pauls and that this one was one of the best he ever played (he bigged it up). he went on to say that he bought it in the late 80's and gave it to Willie, his friend and fellow band member. Willie died last year and his widow gave the guitar back to dad.

.... ok, the sob story is over.

but i am not sure about the date. i did a small amount of research and looked into the serial number.

8 digit serial number implies that it was built after 1977, and before 2005 when the serial changes to 9 digit

(so far so good) (correct me if i'm barking up the wrong tree)

according to the format of YDDDYRRR my one is 0DDD4RRR the date comes out as 2004.

I am willing to accept that Dad has got a bit mixed up. but i just wanted to be sure about my understanding of the serial numbers first?

Glad to hear your Dad is on the right path.

The serial number would suggest she is in fact a 2004. The snakeskin case is also an indicator that she's from around that period.

She is a stunner - a beautiful top on her.

If you want 100% clarification, email the serial and some pics to service@gibson.com and they will help you out.

You're a stand-up guy for being there for your father. I too am happy to hear he seems to be on the right path. While not the same situation, I have been in a similar situation, and I can tell you that having supportive family members like you helps him out tremendously.

As for the guitar, sounds like you just got yourself a new sentimental favorite. Congratulations!

MYSTERY SOLVED !

i had a response very quickly from my email to Gibson.

they confirmed that Rubi is a les paul standard in red wine finnish 60's neck, nickel hardware, born on the 13th of April 2004 in Nashville US.

AA maple top

burstbucker pro PU's alnico V magnets

It also means that Dad got his wires crossed..... he probably did give Willie a les paul in the 80's , Just not this one.

Rubi is a a real beauty, my wife is starting to get jealous of her LOL

LOL thanks for your comments.

I have had a wee idea. ....> I have told you all the story of how i inherited Rubi. Why not every one tell a tale or a story about a guitar that they have?

...... an old blues man give you a guitar........ Jeff Beck once picked up your guitar and offered to buy it from you.......your guitar was owned by ex Prime minister Tony Blair.......... your girl friend tried to cut your LP in half with a chain saw......

Lets hear them! no telling porkies now.

MYSTERY SOLVED !

i had a response very quickly from my email to Gibson.

they confirmed that Rubi is a les paul standard in red wine finnish 60's neck' date=' nickel hardware, born on the 13th of April 2004 in Nashville US.

AA maple top

burstbucker pro PU's alnico V magnets

It also means that Dad got his wires crossed..... he probably did give Willie a les paul in the 80's , Just not this one.

Rubi is a a real beauty, my wife is starting to get jealous of her LOL

[/quote']

Excellent stuff!

They are pretty damn good at getting back to you, that Gibson lot.

I've always prefered the 60's neck, a lot faster and sleeker.

I also find that a pair of shoes or a handbag goes a long way when trying to avoid ear ache :-s

The damage I repeatedly see that alcohol causes is very sad and sobering.I know so many people who I think would have a better life if they would just avoid the alcohol becasue they cannot handle it.It also had affected my life with my family and I have seen it first hand how it destroys lives and families.ALOT of people just don't get it,or at least not until its too late.

The damage I repeatedly see that alcohol causes is very sad and sobering.I know so many people who I think would have a better life if they would just avoid the alcohol becasue they cannot handle it.It also had affected my life with my family and I have seen it first hand how it destroys lives and families.ALOT of people just don't get it' date='or at least not until its too late.[/quote']

you speak wisely brother[-o<

My mother was an alcoholic... She used to get up at around 4pm then get a taxi to the shops buy a 1.5ltr bottle of vodka and a candle...She'd then go home, light the candle and cane the bottle...She did that same routine, day after day for about 3 yrs until she got sectioned... That was a horrible thing to happen and she had no one.. Her drinking had pushed everyone away.. Getting locked up was the best thing that ever happened to her... She's stone cold sober these days and im very proud of her... Very few people achieve 100% recovery when they fall in that deep..

Like already said here...Your a stand up guy to stick with someone who suffers such a terrible illness.... Good luck to your old man..... Nice LP too!

Flight959

Excellent guitar and i am happy to hear your father is doing good now. I hope that having your dad's axe inspires you to make some great music with it.! Picking up my dad's old dusty fender is what got me into playing in the first place.

My mother was an alcoholic... She used to get up at around 4pm then get a taxi to the shops buy a 1.5ltr bottle of vodka and a candle...She'd then go home' date=' light the candle and cane the bottle...She did that same routine, day after day for about 3 yrs until she got sectioned... That was a horrible thing to happen and she had no one.. Her drinking had pushed everyone away.. Getting locked up was the best thing that ever happened to her... She's stone cold sober these days and im very proud of her... Very few people achieve 100% recovery when they fall in that deep..

Like already said here...Your a stand up guy to stick with someone who suffers such a terrible illness.... Good luck to your old man..... Nice LP too!

Flight959[/quote']

That must have been really tough on the whole family. Hats off to you and your Clan.

just a quick tale about my bass, i got her for my bar mitzvah when i was 13, and had two great years with her until she was stolen from back stage while i was in the middle of a gig! (came back from a break and she was gone, had to finish on my guitar and play rhythm parts anyways) went a month scouring all the pawn shops in my city until one day i found her sitting there on the rack, wasn't a scratch on her, had to buy her back but luckily the guy gave me a deal because i have the original papers and warranty w/ serial number and everything, but i got her back and she is with me to this day. pretty thankful for it actually. i now lock my girls up all the time no matter what. learned my lesson on that one!

just a quick tale about my bass' date=' i got her for my bar mitzvah when i was 13, and had two great years with her until she was stolen from back stage while i was in the middle of a gig! (came back from a break and she was gone, had to finish on my guitar and play rhythm parts anyways) went a month scouring all the pawn shops in my city until one day i found her sitting there on the rack, wasn't a scratch on her, had to buy her back but luckily the guy gave me a deal because i have the original papers and warranty w/ serial number and everything, but i got her back and she is with me to this day. pretty thankful for it actually. i now lock my girls up all the time no matter what. learned my lesson on that one!

[/quote']

I love it! Pricless! :- what a great story, i bet she was even more special to you after you rescued her from the pawn shop.

That sounds like the perfect Les Paul!

I'm partial to the slim neck myself...

The closest I have concerning other people and my guitar is a minor league brush with fame.

I was looking at this old lap steel my dealer had in his shop, built in the 50's by Gretsch.

I can't even play slide but it's in excellent shape and seemed like a cool collector piece.

My wife decided to 'surprise' me at Christmas with it.

Next time I was in to see my dealer, he said "Your wife almost missed out."

I asked him why.

He said "Joe Bonnamassa was in here playing the hell out of it, decided he already had too many lap steels..."

3377450185_43203bacf5.jpg?v=0

3377450179_84a1af9ab0.jpg?v=0

3377450191_f811d7d87b.jpg?v=0

Kinda funny face, reminds me of Homer Simpson in a Darth Vader Mask.

All original, with cord and steel in case.

Built in 1959 by Valco.

I am going to risk leg pulling by this, but I will say that I think guitars are so personal that they can carry things in them. If this has been given to you like this then I think it is an extra special guitar and could be a lucky Omen of a player.

Matt

I am going to risk leg pulling by this, but I will say that I think guitars are so personal that they can carry things in them. If this has been given to you like this then I think it is an extra special guitar and could be a lucky Omen of a player.

Matt

I will say that I think guitars are so personal that they can carry things in them.

Matt' date=' what a load of crap![/b']

Okay, maybe you're right....

:-)

I'm far from a fan of mysticism, but there may be something to that.

If nothing else, there's no denying what a guitar can stir inside a player of any skill level.

Seen it too many times over the years.

They truly can be more than wood and strings.

I am going to risk leg pulling by this' date=' but I will say that I think guitars are so personal that they can carry things in them. If this has been given to you like this then I think it is an extra special guitar and could be a lucky Omen of a player.

Matt[/quote']

i think your right Matt, guitars are so personal and spiritual, i think if having a really special guitar just makes you a better player, in the words of a certain hobo bluesman, the more you connect with your guitar the more it will speak to people. i think players need a connection and a special axe.

Archived