Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, just going to say it ...

01GT eibach

We can talk forever about the various RRHoF snubs (Boston, Thin Lizzy, Procol Harum,  et al, and that is before you get to metal snubs like Iron Maiden, Scorpions, et al).  But it REALLY bothers me that Supertramp  is not only snubbed, they are not even discussed as snubs.  WTF??  Aside from being a musical powerhouse  ... this is a band that has had HUGE commercial success with album sales exceeding  60+ million, and numerous top-ten singles in numerous countries.  Crime of the Century is on all of the "best albums of all time" lists.  And, yes, they are one of my favorite bands ... so this really bothers me.  This was a band that had many great albums (not just one or two).  Not only that, contrary to most other bands, their best material was the non-radio stuff of their deeper tracks (e.g., "Another Nervous Wreck", "Asylum", "Soapbox Opera", etc., etc.).  What a great band ... and what a travesty ...

This is not their whole catalog, but this is their particularly  brilliant stuff which is considerable:

Crime of the Century (1974) -- Considered by many to be one of the best albums of all time

Crisis?  What Crisis? (1975

Even in the Quietest Moments (1977)

Breakfast In America (1979)

... Famous Last Words (1982) -- Their last album barely holding the Davies/Hodgson pair together

Brother, Where You Bound?  (1985)  -- Their first album without Hodgson containing the Davies epic vision (w/ David Gilmour); this is one of my favorite albums of all time

Supertramp -- "Asylum" live

L8588329.JPG

Edited by 01GT eibach
  • Thanks 1

I am a fan but its complicated for me...  I saw them in 2010. Awesome gig..

HOWEVER.. Its a weird story...  A few years back now my dad was having chemo treatments.. I was the one who took him to every appointment over something like a year and a half..  One day I happened to have a best of Supertramp on the car CD player and my dad loved it.. In fact he liked it so much every time we went he wanted that music playing.  I even got him an MP3 player with that album on it so he could listen to it while getting the treatment.

Well as you can possibly imagine. After he passed away that album and the songs off it I now always sadly associate with that period of my life so I no longer listen to them...  I am sure one day I will go back to it but for now Supertramp is out for me. But hey, as long as it kept my dad happy I guess its something I am ok sacrificing for him...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rabs said:

HOWEVER.. Its a weird story...  A few years back now my dad was having chemo treatments.. I was the one who took him to every appointment over something like a year and a half..  One day I happened to have a best of Supertramp on the car CD player and my dad loved it.. In fact he liked it so much every time we went he wanted that music playing.  I even got him an MP3 player with that album on it so he could listen to it while getting the treatment.

Well as you can possibly imagine. After he passed away that album and the songs off it I now always sadly associate with that period of my life so I no longer listen to them...  I am sure one day I will go back to it but for now Supertramp is out for me. But hey, as long as it kept my dad happy I guess its something I am ok sacrificing for him...

Music has a way of cheering us up sometimes, or bringing us down sometimes. It certainly can be a powerful inducer of emotion.

I can relate to your story Rabs.  There are songs and bands I don't listen to for the same reason as you.

And I agree, I bet one day you will listen to it again. And it will certainly bring up all kinds of emotions. 

Just keep in mind that it was a wonderful thing that your Dad felt such enjoyment hearing that Supertramp. You made his last days more pleasant for him. 

I miss my own Dad so much....

But weren't we  lucky that we had such great Dads?![smile]

48 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Music has a way of cheering us up sometimes, or bringing us down sometimes. It certainly can be a powerful inducer of emotion.

I can relate to your story Rabs.  There are songs and bands I don't listen to for the same reason as you.

And I agree, I bet one day you will listen to it again. And it will certainly bring up all kinds of emotions. 

Just keep in mind that it was a wonderful thing that your Dad felt such enjoyment hearing that Supertramp. You made his last days more pleasant for him. 

I miss my own Dad so much....

But weren't we  lucky that we had such great Dads?![smile]

Yes indeed... He did so much for his family and so little for himself.. Was just the way he was.

Thanks for bringing Supertramp back into my memory.

There was always some of their vinyls playing in our house when I grew up. I was more into KISS, Van Halen, and then Metallica, Anthrax and so on.

But, I'll have fond memories of Supertramp and will check their music out now.

Thanks. 

I think this year they're inducting L. L. Cool J., so they're obviously not about rock and roll anymore. And there were a string of other artists this year that weren't rock at all, but I can't remember who they were cos I don't care. 

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I wonder if Fusion guys like Weather Report would get inducted, Fusion being a mixture of different styles of music?

Well Quincy Jones, Bessie Smith, Louis Jordan and Les Paul are all in it among others.

I think it's utter bollocks myself.  Has nothing to do with what a band/artist has achieved artistically or how good they are.  It reflects the music business rather than 'the music'.

Looking at their site it seems they have recently inducted Irving Azoff (Eagles manager) and Jon Landau (Springsteen manager) so that tells you where they're at.

I'm no Supertramp fan but they can wear their omission like a badge of honour.   

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 1:26 PM, Rabs said:

That's certainly a different reaction.  For example, shortly before my Mom got diagnosed with cancer(in '99), I made her a compilation cassette(she never did get a CD player) of some tracks from The Brian Setzer Orchestra LP "Dirty Boogie".  Since she was a teen-ager during the late '30's-early '40's "swing" era I figured she might like it.  I certainly did.  And still do, because she too wound up liking it a lot.  Said she'd play it while cleaning house and wind up dancing 'round the living room while vacuuming.  [biggrin]   And I still like to listen to it occasionally, feeling the warm vibes I get when recalling the enjoyment listening to it gave her too.    I also put  some Leon Redbone  on that tape too.  And she dug that as well.   If you think of it that way, maybe Supertramp will have the same effect for you.  [wink]    And hey......

Personally, I figure if MADONNA can get into the HOF, then Supertramp should be a SHOO-IN!

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I wonder if Fusion guys like Weather Report would get inducted, Fusion being a mixture of different styles of music?

Of course.  After all, back in the "day" it was originally referred to as "Jazz-Rock".   [wink]  And too of course, they'd have to include Mahavishnu Orchestra in that bunch, as well as John McLaughlin separately due to his early sort of rock'n'roll work with Georgie Fame and Brian Auger  And speaking of "jazz-rock"......

Another band whose music was given that tag was Spirit.  Did THEY ever make the HOF?  

Whitefang

The Hall is an abomination. Run by out of touch clowns who think it is The Rap Hall Of Fame and The Let's Let Whoever The Fuk In If You Ever Made An Album Hall Of Fame.

Don't call it one thing and then just do what you want. Ken Stabler is not in the Hockey Hall Of Fame, why cause he fuking played football not hockey.

I told my wife the only way I would go is if UFO and Thin Lizzy get it. Oh and those bands played Rock And Roll. So I never have to wonder if I will go cause those two band will get snubbed but J Z and LL Cool T-urd will get in.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 3/15/2021 at 5:11 AM, Whitefang said:

That's certainly a different reaction.  For example, shortly before my Mom got diagnosed with cancer(in '99), I made her a compilation cassette(she never did get a CD player) of some tracks from The Brian Setzer Orchestra LP "Dirty Boogie".  Since she was a teen-ager during the late '30's-early '40's "swing" era I figured she might like it.  I certainly did.  And still do, because she too wound up liking it a lot.  Said she'd play it while cleaning house and wind up dancing 'round the living room while vacuuming.  [biggrin]   And I still like to listen to it occasionally, feeling the warm vibes I get when recalling the enjoyment listening to it gave her too.    I also put  some Leon Redbone  on that tape too.  And she dug that as well.   If you think of it that way, maybe Supertramp will have the same effect for you.  [wink]    And hey......

Personally, I figure if MADONNA can get into the HOF, then Supertramp should be a SHOO-IN!

Of course.  After all, back in the "day" it was originally referred to as "Jazz-Rock".   [wink]  And too of course, they'd have to include Mahavishnu Orchestra in that bunch, as well as John McLaughlin separately due to his early sort of rock'n'roll work with Georgie Fame and Brian Auger  And speaking of "jazz-rock"......

Another band whose music was given that tag was Spirit.  Did THEY ever make the HOF?  

Whitefang

The first Spirit song I learned to play was "Got A Line On You", then later in the 70's Jay Ferguson showed up  with Jo Jo Gunne. So many rock Icons have not made it to HOF.