Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of Martin Tommy Emmanuel signature flexible core PB strings on my Maple AJ

Jinder

On 3/16/2021 at 11:46 AM, BoSoxBiker said:

I meant to ask you if you've ever tried the DR Strings' Hi-Beam 80/20's? I don't see much chatter on these, but they are supposed to be brighter than I guess my normal warm 80/20s I've been getting for my Maple SJ-200. (I keep the Maple on the warm side of the spectrum while I try to keep brighter strings on my RW SJ-200.)

I haven't tried the Hi-Beams but I will...they sound perfect for my Dove, which tends towards the warm side of the spectrum. I currently have Veritas on it which sound superb, but the Hi-Beams may add an extra few percent of sweetness. Will try and report back!

23 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Jinder -  thanks for starting this thread.  It's really great to hear you are back, able to play.  Do you think the time away from playing helped, or hurt?   Not from a standpoint of motor skills, etc, but just motivation and creativity?  Re-charged batteries?   Was the song writing side of your skill set affected?   Very inspiring to hear of your quick return to playing.  

Thankyou! I'm really relieved to have reclaimed my faculties somewhat playing wise. I think the time away maybe forced me out of some habitual playing routines, and some re-learning was required when I came back to the guitar which pushed me further from my old habits. 

The memory issues caused by scarring left where the brain abscesses were has, in some ways (always looking for the positive of course!) Been a blessing. I've developed a slightly different lexicon as a writer and the material I've written for what will be my next record is perhaps more relaxed and less overwrought that my recent output.

The enforced break probably reinvigorated me more than I realised, mainly because there was some uncertainty as to whether I would be able to play/write/drive/walk/generally operate in the way I was prior to becoming unwell...thankfully, other than ongoing fatigue and periodic joint pain, it looks like I can do all of the above, which is a huge relief. It was a timely reminder of how much music means to me and how grateful I should be to be able to play and write. 

I was a little more burned out creatively than I realised, having put out two records last year, so the enforced layoff and the emotional rollercoaster that went with it certainly gave me plenty of food for thought as a writer!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Interesting - I just placed an order for a set of DR Hi Beam lights to try on my SJ-200.

I also ordered some Curt Mangan round-core 80/20's, Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20's, Rotosound Tru-Bronze and another 2 sets of the John Pearse 80/20's I have on the guitar now.

I have an order coming in this week for some more JPs and Veritas. I also ordered a set of Rotosound JK12 Jumbo King Phosphor Bronze to try. I can't order strings without trying one new-to-me set these days. Not sure why as I've come up with some favorites.

• Like 1

OK, I'll bite, just ordered a set of Martin Flex Core Mediums from Sweetwater.  My Collings has long scale and uses mediums (.13 - .56) so there is quite a bit of tension and my fretting hand gets tired faster playing that guitar than my others, but it sounds so much better.  Hopefully these strings with their slightly "softer feel" will be rewarding.  I am spoiled as my Hummingbird and a Taylor are both shorter scale and use light strings but the trade off is while they sound good neither has the huge sound of the Collings.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 7:28 AM, Jinder said:

Thankyou! I'm really relieved to have reclaimed my faculties somewhat playing wise. I think the time away maybe forced me out of some habitual playing routines, and some re-learning was required when I came back to the guitar which pushed me further from my old habits. 

The memory issues caused by scarring left where the brain abscesses were has, in some ways (always looking for the positive of course!) Been a blessing. I've developed a slightly different lexicon as a writer and the material I've written for what will be my next record is perhaps more relaxed and less overwrought that my recent output.

The enforced break probably reinvigorated me more than I realised, mainly because there was some uncertainty as to whether I would be able to play/write/drive/walk/generally operate in the way I was prior to becoming unwell...thankfully, other than ongoing fatigue and periodic joint pain, it looks like I can do all of the above, which is a huge relief. It was a timely reminder of how much music means to me and how grateful I should be to be able to play and write. 

I was a little more burned out creatively than I realised, having put out two records last year, so the enforced layoff and the emotional rollercoaster that went with it certainly gave me plenty of food for thought as a writer!

Jinder-thanks for the update!

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

• Like 1

Got the Martin Flexible Core strings I ordered last week and put them on my Collings today.  I like them.  Like Jinder said they are a little bright right now, but I'm anticipating they will calm down some with use.  No noticeable drop in volume or tone and I can feel that they are a little easier to fret.  So far - so good!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 7:20 PM, Jinder said:

Optimas! That's it, not Ultimas...apologies, my memory isn't quite what it was 🤦‍♂️

The Optimas are weird strings...12-52 gauge, gold plated. I don't like the feel of them at all, and they sound decidedly odd on my SJ200. Very little sustain, which is strange as my 200 usually rings for days. I bought them on a whim as they were heavily discounted, but they're normally astonishingly expensive and, in my opinion, not worth the journey.

The DR Veritas with the Xenon B and E are magic strings...the 11-52s sound beautiful on my Sigma CF-100 copy and my Dove. Very highly recommend those!

I've been on the StringsByMail website looking at a couple of options of a hybrid set and came across La Bella "Golden Alloy" Here is link  Heavier B&E than standard lights. Kind of like the set of Elixer HDs I had for a Taylor for a while. Anyhow, I have to assume that the use of "golden" in the title is purely marketing speak.

On the other topic, the DR Veritas Xenon B & E strings, I've tried on both my RW SJ-200 and my Martin D-41. Interestingly, I found these to be somewhat warmer in sound. The Veritas with the standard option B&E strings were quite bold - loud and bright.