Gibson Brands Forums

Incoming - NGD on Friday

Sgt. Pepper

So I made a trade. My D-41 for this below a HD-28V also some cash my way. Fed Ex says Friday it will be at my door. I have to sign for it and if I am not home my brother will be. And it appears who I bought if from is a Beatles fan. Loved the 41 but being such a high end guitar it stayed in the case a lot. And my rule is, if I don't play it, it goes. It is going to be my only Martin with a neck that is not the MLO (Modified Low Oval). It has been a pain getting a shipping box. Went to a store. They told me to come back the next day. I did they gave me one, but being in a rush and it was folded flat. I did not see it was for an electric and not deep enough for an acoustic. GC this weekend said they had none to spare. Getting one after work where I usually get my Martins from. And Reverb  got no %-age of either of our sales, cause we didn't use them. I guess it should really be a NUTGD (New Used Traded Guitar Day).

7piwSW6.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations!

If yours sounds anything like mine you'll wind up with one HD-28V,  a couple of beaters you don't care about and you'll stop thinking about other acoustics.

The neck will take a little bit to acclimate to but you had a Lucille so it shouldn't present any issues.

3 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Ugliness.com sells Boxes cheap....

While that 28 is a sweet Guitar I’d have kept the 41 & played it... It’s just a Guitar...

Yeah. Guitars come and go. Life will go on.

The 35, 18, and 000 all sound great. They get played.

24 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Congratulations!

If yours sounds anything like mine you'll wind up with one HD-28V,  a couple of beaters you don't care about and you'll stop thinking about other acoustics.

The neck will take a little bit to acclimate to but you had a Lucille so it shouldn't present any issues.

Guitars are like women. I'm always thinking about them (or at least looking, thank you Yoga pants inventor) even thought I currently have one.

Do women wear Yoga pants in other countries?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Congrats.  For some reason I thought you already had a 28.  But I agree on letting the 41 go, if  you don't play a guitar might as well move it and get something that you will play and enjoy.

I did. I sold it to fund the 41. My stimulus check came last night so I may be like SteveFord and get another guitar cause I have cash from that (stimulus) and money from selling/trading the 41.

Shipped the 41 out yesterday. I read on Reverb's site you are not supposed to do trades on Reverb and are not supposed to state are open for a trade, wonder why? They have a policy where it states instead of doing a trade you need to agree to doing a trade but sell the guitars to each other on Reverb. That is because Reverb takes 5% of each sale. So if you trade it and go behind Reverb's back (like me and the trader did) Reverb gets no money. And Reverb also states you have to sell your guitar for what its worth. If I want to sell my D-41 for $3 that's my choice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hey, don't get the one I've been watching for the past two months, please!  You probably won't, it plugs into an amplifier but it does afford an iconic tone...

I'm using D'Addario 80/20 Phosphor Bronze strings on the HD28V with good results.  You might want to give them a shot.  The previous owner had some sort of Martin strings on them which sounded really good, too.  The first time I played it and felt the bass rumble in my bloated, hairy white gut I was sold!

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Hey, don't get the one I've been watching for the past two months, please!  You probably won't, it plugs into an amplifier but it does afford an iconic tone...

I'm using D'Addario 80/20 Phosphor Bronze strings on the HD28V with good results.  You might want to give them a shot.  The previous owner had some sort of Martin strings on them which sounded really good, too.  The first time I played it and felt the bass rumble in my bloated, hairy white gut I was sold!

I have been using Cleartone's and really like them. They are "treated" but don't feel slippery as snot like Elixirs.  None of my tone is iconic (any more it used to be), and the guitars I buy many don't like here cause they are not made in Montana.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Yeah, the Martin's are sadly lacking in that iconic tone department.

Maybe if I put a VariTone on mine?  

That would do it, and how about one of those over sized on top and on the bottom of the sound hole 1/2 inch thick pick guards.

I just started looking at 00 and 000-18's. I am about to be as cool as you and buy more than one guitar in a weeks time. Well it was a trade and I don't know if that counts. I found a 00-18. Time to start asking the guy questions. Its a 2019. It might be broken though it has a big hole on the top of it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Or a J-40, that might be the perfect HD-28V companion as it's a similar sound in a smaller package for when you get too fat to reach around a dreadnaught.

I got 4 Dreads once the HD-28V shows up.